Standard Rally Wheel Backspacing? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 11, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Standard Rally Wheel Backspacing?

Could someone help me out with a simple question. I am wanting to buy a set of rally wheels from someone off the internet (see below) and the guy doesn't understand backspacing so when I was trying to explain it to him he just didn't get it. They are 15x7 and 15x8 and what I want to know is if there is a standard backspacing with rally wheels. If I were to buy a new set from classic industries, they are shown to be 4 1/4" backspacing, which is what I want. Is there different backspacing for these wheels? If it was on a car with disc as compared to drum brakes would the backspacing be different? I just want to make sure that a 15x8 wheel would fit on my car (67 Camaro). I have 14x7 cragars with GR70-14's on the back and since I installed drops springs, when I hit a pretty big dip, they rub a little, but the cragar backspacing is like 3". There is someone here locally selling a set of (4) 15x7's that I also have the option of buying, just trying to figure out what will work. Yes, I know two of them are red.Thanks.

person

Last edited by tbd67; Aug 16th, 11 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 11, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Re: Standard Rally Wheel Backspacing?

4 1/4 is standard. Tell the seller to lay the wheels face down. Have him put a straight edge across the back of the wheels. Have him measure from the wheel surface that would touch the drum or rotor back to the straight edge. It's that simple.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 02:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

The 15x8's that were on the corvettes in the late 60's had a 4" backspacing which tend to stick out alittle on the 67-69's. http://www.jasononcars.com/review/be...-camaro-lives/ This car has the 4" spacing, if I remember correcting.

67 Vert RS/SS 350 4 SP

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Okay, got it. I definatly need more than a 4" backspacing. I am suppose to talk to the guy today, again, and if I can't get him to take 2 minutes to check the backspacing then i'll look elsewhere. Thanks for the info guys.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 08:08 AM
Senior Tech
Barry

Send a message via AIM to barryfrise Send a message via Yahoo to barryfrise

Remember to do the math taking into account both backspacing and rim width. Your current 14x7 rims with a 3" BS means they stick out 4", which would be the same as a 15x8 with a 4" BS. Most likely the rubbing would get worse with the 15x8 because the overall height of your wheel/tire would increase, and you'd make contact over smaller bumps. A 15x7 with a 4.25" BS sticks out 2.75", which is a significant difference. I have a '69 and wanted a bigger rim in the back for a wider tire, but didn't want it sticking out looking like Joe Dirt. You can find aftermarket 15x8's with 4.5" and 5" BS, but the 5" BS may be too much on a 67-68 (measure carefully!). A 5" BS was perfect on my 69 with a 255/60-15 tire, and allowed me to use my existing 15x7 trim ring. If you want to run the same size tire front and rear you should be fine with 15x7's.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 08:08 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

The first sticky in this section has links to diagrams on how to measure backspace etc. Maybe send him that as well.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

I definatly don't want to run the same size tire all the way around. I want bigger tires on the back. There is just a limited availability on 14" tire widths, which is the main reason I wanted a 15" wheel. How wide can I go with 15x7 in back? I do like the slight rake look. Right now if you were to stand behind my car, it looks goofy because the tires I have are so thin.

Last edited by tbd67; Aug 17th, 11 at 12:37 PM.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 03:40 PM
Jeff

If you're not in need of "originals" I would suggest "Wheel Vintiques" thru Jegs. You can get new, coated, reproduction ralleys for about $75 each in a variety of sizes. Rings and caps are seperate. FYI the Corvette 15x8 have a 4-1/4 BS. I have a set of 15x7 that are 3-1/2 BS. I also have a set of 2ea. 15x8x4-1/4 original ralleys for sale.Sorry, no rings or caps. I'm in Michigan though, may be too much hassle. Let me know if you're interested. If not, good luck with your issue.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech

The issue with aftermarket rallys, like the Wheel Vintques, is they are lug centric. The OE Kelsey Hays rallys, which are still available new from Year One (don't know if the other big resellers have them) are not much more, and they are the correct hub centric wheels. I believe that they only sell them in black.

I had a set of WV lug centric rallys on my 68, and always had a wheel vibration. You can buy rings to fill in the gap and make a lug centric wheel almost hub centric, but it is just not the same as having a solid, straight set of OE rallys.

All of the 15x8 GM supplied rallys I have ever seen were the aforementioned 4 inch BS.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 06:05 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Some people can't put together simple instructions for something like checking backspace without being shown first. Not that there's anything wrong with that....we're all just wired up different. Easiest thing may be to ask the guy to look by the valve stem on each one and give you the two character code stamped beside it.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1565903953-post3.html

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

I actually don't think I am going to mess with this guy anymore. He wouldn't even drive 5 miles north to meet me and I would of had to drive 350 miles. Don't really understand it, but whatever. Sure if I am patient I can find the right wheel local. Summit has a 15x8 that is only 69.95, not sure about the backspacing though.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 11, 01:18 PM
Britt

In tbd's original post the question was asked whether disk brakes would determine back space. I've heard that factory type disks would not but wondering about more aggressive Baer / wild wood. I'm not yet ready to go there and i'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge on their site but since we're on the subject anyone with knowledge would aid in my current quest for the perfect rim. I'm currently using vintique lug centric...and yeah, they suck.

full rotisserie restro, all new sheet metal finished in black glass, voodoo cursed 383 stroker, TKO600 5 speed, four wheel disk, AC, other stuff
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 11, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech
Barry

Send a message via AIM to barryfrise Send a message via Yahoo to barryfrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbd67 View Post
I definatly don't want to run the same size tire all the way around. I want bigger tires on the back. There is just a limited availability on 14" tire widths, which is the main reason I wanted a 15" wheel. How wide can I go with 15x7 in back? I do like the slight rake look. Right now if you were to stand behind my car, it looks goofy because the tires I have are so thin.
The BFG Radial TA specs you can find at the Tire Rack website suggest going no wider than a 245 on a 7" rim. I'm sure someone somewhere's gone wider tho...
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 11, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

So all wheel Vintique wheels are lug centric? Thats dissapointing because they actually have a pretty wide range of backspacing for rally's. Just wonder if I should get 15x7 all the way around and just get a wider tire in the back and be done with it.

Last edited by tbd67; Aug 18th, 11 at 06:13 PM.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 11, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Okay, so I know this is completely an opinion question, but with my set up, would the smartest thing for me to do is just get a set of 4, 15x7's and just get the tire set up I want? I have found some pretty good deals on complete 15x7 rally's, but I just don't want to wind up with the same look that I have now (a skinny tire in the back). Opinions? Seems like most the pics I find on forums with 15x8's they appear to be to close to the fender or stick out all together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode