Tire and wheel recommendations...again - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Jeff

Tire and wheel recommendations...again

Hi all, I'm new to the site. I read about it on another forum while I was looking for info and it sounded very informative. I hate to keep beating this same horse but... I'm finishing up my '67 sport coupe that I've owned for 30 years. I did some nice upgrades but need some tire and wheel advice before I drop $600 on rubber. It has the original 327 in it, bored .030, 2.02 heads,Edelbrock, rollers, Manley, Pink, Comp cam, Holley 650, Hooker, etc.. Now to the tire issue; I have a disc brake kit up front with 2" drop spindles, poly bushings, Bilstien shocks. In the rear I have a Hotchkis sport suspension kit with 1-1/2" lowered springs and Bilstiens. Wheels are 15x7x3-1/2"BS Ralley up front and 15x8x5"BS Ralley's in the rear. I plan on using Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T 215/70R15 front and 255/60R15 rear. Has anyone used this combo? I measured it up and it looks good, even thinking I could go 275 in the rear. Any advice or comments from the group would be greatly appreciated. I also have a great business idea, a store where you can "try on" tires like you would shoes! This sucks trying to figure out sizes with a tape measure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 03:12 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Tire and wheel recommendations...again

I moved this to the Wheel and Tire Forum, you'll get more replies here. Start by looking at the sticky threads at the top of this forum and then maybe spend some time in the Suspension forum. I think you will be running into problems using drop spindles and 15" wheels.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Jeff

Thanks DJD. I'm a rookie to the forum world. I've just removed some 195/75R15 from the front and GR78-15 from the rear. Since I lowered the car I've only driven it up the street a bit and on and off the trailer. Had no issues but I haven't hit any infamous Michigan poyholes yet. I'm hoping the M/T's will work. Thanks again.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 04:25 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Your 215/255 tire combo should work fine. I have similar setup but w/o drop spindles on my 68 and run 225 up front and 245 out back, 60/15's on 15x7's with 3.76BS. On the rear I have slightly over 1" from top edge of tire to the inner fender lip. While 275's might fit, I think it would be very close. If I wear the 245's out I'll go 255's next time.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 11, 04:33 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

RJ it's the drop spindles not the tires/wheels or the amount of drop that will present the problem. Read up on drop spindles and you'll see everyone reports ball joints hitting tires and wheels.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 11, 03:47 PM
Senior Tech
Barry

Send a message via AIM to barryfrise Send a message via Yahoo to barryfrise

Jeff,
Your front BS of 3.75" is less than the factory rally wheel's 4.25, so that gives you a little more clearance for the ball joint, maybe. As far as the rear goes, I have a 69 with a 15x8, 5" BS and a 255/60-15 tire, and there's about a 1/4" clearance between the tire and the inside fenderwell. The specs I saw for a 275 tire indicated it was about a 1/2" wider than a 255, so that was cutting it too close for me, unless you can find one of those stores you were talking about to try it out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode