Team Camaro Tech banner

Swapping out Skinnies??

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Everett#2390 
#1 ·
Well swapping out my skinnies .. 15 x 3 1/2 " to 15 x 7"... The car has 1" spacer on the front hub now..But will remove when I swap the skinnies out..

Question is will the car need to be realigned??

Tires on there now 165/15 tires going on 205/65/15

Thoughts and opinions...

#2 ·
Anyone?? I would think not.. But since the PO used the car just for the track and set it up for that i wonder..also there are quite a few shims...

Car tracks straight with the skinnies.. But not sure if the skinnies are more forgiving..

#3 ·
Hector,

If the car was used just for the track then the alignment is probably set up for driving on a flat surface. Roads aren't flat and the alignment on street driven cars is different than drag strip only cars.

#4 ·
Michael ..Car tracks real straight even at high speeds...but steering is real lite...no road fell at all

I was hoping I wouldn't need a alignment.. Don't know of any place that has any experience aligning a car this old..

Called a couple of places to test the waters and 1 said they wouldn't do it..and two said they would give it a try..

#5 ·
Hector,

All of the older muscle cars I have owned or driven, or even non muscle cars and trucks have a 'light steering wheel' feel to them. My '72 Chevy SWB truck drives like a dream, hardly any resistance in the steering wheel. Even my non power steering Chevelles felt very light unless in a low speed turn.

I would think all of the alignment shops could work on one of these cars, maybe some don't want to assume the risk of working on a collector type car.

#6 ·
Michael .. I have had a few 1gen camaros( albeit this is the first with power steering).. But the wheel feels really lite... Steering wheel on the highway feels like it's not even connected to the steering box... There is no play in the box.. And the front suspension is new and tight..

I also don't understand why he used a 1" spacer on the skinnies

Don't know of any alignment shops around here...I called a few tire places and pep boys.... Not really keen on any of those places.....

#7 ·
I was curious about the spacer too. I have two '68 camaros with skinnies up front, neither have or need spacers. With a spacer that big I hope there were some longer wheel studs.

You can probably go to your local track-even a round track-and get the name of someone that can align the car for you.

#9 ·
I would imagine with skinnies up front, you have less contact patch returning a lesser 'feeling' of the road. also, less effort in turning, both to turn the s/wheel and less scuffing of the tread because a narrower width.

It probably has at least +2.5 ° of caster giving the reason why it steers straight - good high speed steering. Plus, if front end is lifted, as in going down the track, it may have 0° camber, again for less friction to the road/track.

Try a road trip after swapout. I would imagine you will need a four-wheel alignment.
Align the front axle with the rear axle as a reference point.
Try an older privately owned repair shop if other s don't give suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.