Finally got my wheels and tires for my Z. - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 11, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Wink Finally got my wheels and tires for my Z.

Ok everyone...I finally got my Vintage Wheel Works, Inc. V40 wheels and BFG Radial T/A's from Driverz Inc. I almost didn't get the T/A's. Jon told me that BFG quit making them in 15" size and I thought I would have to go with Cooper's or Firestone Indy's. The T/A's tire molds were bought up by the (can't remember name) that sells Vintage tires. When I opened the boxes boy was I surprised.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro Driverside.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	24385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro Passengerside.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	24386  

06A 1969 Camaro Z28 X33D80 69 B 711 Black Stripes Console w/tach and gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 11, 12:54 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Finally got my wheels and tires for my Z.

That may have been Cooker<sp> Tire ????

BTW.... looks perfect

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 11, 04:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Looks good!

Too bad BFG is not going to make the TA anymore.

Kev

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 11, 04:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Wow looks great. I love the color combination. I want the same wheels for my car, I have the same color combination, except mine is a hard top and I am going to go for the black wheels. I currently have the same tires, but I am going to go for some old school looking Good Years if I can find them.

PS how do you like the 410 rear. I have a 342 and I am looking to get more gear. Some say 410 is too much. What do you say? I will be running a M20 as well. Motor will be a 1970 350 LT1 or a stroker with all the stock LT1, 302 parts, intake, carb etc.

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 11, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69z28freak View Post
I have the same color combination, except mine is a hard top
What makes you think his Z is a convertible?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 11, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Thanks for the compliments guys.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 11, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Your right Doug...it's Coker Tires. I just couldn't remember the name.

Took awhile and a lot of looking until I decided what I wanted. Thanks for the compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
That may have been Cooker<sp> Tire ????

BTW.... looks perfect

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 11, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I'm currently running the 70 350 LT1 with the 4.10's but it's getting old. The car is fun to drive with the M20, she's quick thru the gears.
I have a 3.73's getting ready to go back in the rear. I have a vinyl top as well.

This winter the 302 is going back in as soon as I can make up my mind on head gaskets and what oil pump to use.

Quote:
Wow looks great. I love the color combination. I want the same wheels for my car, I have the same color combination, except mine is a hard top and I am going to go for the black wheels. I currently have the same tires, but I am going to go for some old school looking Good Years if I can find them.

PS how do you like the 410 rear. I have a 342 and I am looking to get more gear. Some say 410 is too much. What do you say? I will be running a M20 as well. Motor will be a 1970 350 LT1 or a stroker with all the stock LT1, 302 parts, intake, carb etc.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 11, 05:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Sonny

Garage

Gary the new rims and tires look great.

1969 Z28 (Sold)
1970 Z28 (Sold)
1970 RS Z28 Camaro (Green)

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 11, 09:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
What makes you think his Z is a convertible?
He has a vinyl top, mine does not.

My Build Thread

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 11, 09:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28 View Post
I'm currently running the 70 350 LT1 with the 4.10's but it's getting old. The car is fun to drive with the M20, she's quick thru the gears.
I have a 3.73's getting ready to go back in the rear. I have a vinyl top as well.

This winter the 302 is going back in as soon as I can make up my mind on head gaskets and what oil pump to use.
Hey Gary based on your experience, what changes would you make for the ultimate set up. Since I am starting from scratch I am curious how to get the best of all possible worlds in one great package. Some say more gear, some say less. I do like a bit of hiway driving, but no major long trips planned, just around town.

My Build Thread

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 02:55 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28 View Post
What do you think?
Looks awesome Gary, I've sometimes thought about going for a larger size wheel (still an old school design), but those pictures have reassured me that 15" in that style look just right with Radial T/As, as an alternative to the standard Rallys.
Didn't know that BFG had stopped producing that tire, will Coker (? spelling) continue to make them from the molds? If not I'd better buy a set before they sell out....

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

If you want to build yourself something for fun and seat of the pants thrills, I do like my set up, especially in town areas that you know. By that I mean the cops know you and you know them. Some of the local town police have stuff of their own they come out with and they like to play as well...at least around here. Here in Delaware US HWY 13 and US HWY 113 are the main highways. Became 55 mph when I first got stationed at Dover AFB in 1974 and has never changed since. Some places are MPH. I can usually drive and keep up with traffic with the 4.10's on these roads, but that's if the other travelers stay at the speed limit, which 95% or better don't.

Now they have a thru road (RT1) for the beach traffic and what not which I don't go on much. (I believe it's 65 mph not too sure). Here I can run 4500 to 5000 rpm for short distances just playing around with another friend but I don't sustain that much. I can probably get by if I put back in the 3.73's. This road you'll find alot of the newer HI-PO cars that can go above 120 or more with ease. Mostly at night though.

It's a real tough decision to make when it comes to what you want to put in the rear. Around 1985 I had a 66 Chevy II Nova running a 327/365 and 4.56's, built turbo 350 manual shift only. Now that was fun around town, but no way could I drive it even on 13 and 113. That got old real fast. You could pop right out there in front of everyone street light to street light, but forget it on open road, your toast. 40 mph at 4500 or so rpm isn't good in traffic. My wife hated driving that car. I think I still have a pic of it somewhere. Way old school look. Short Grumpy Jenkins style hood box, roll bar, etc.

And for the winner...my first 69 Z28. I picked this car up cheap wrecked in the front when I first got to Dover AFB in 1974. Rebuilt the 302 to the 12's and 140 cam specs, had plenty of head work done and had 4.88's in the rear, M21. Remember Sunoco 260? My only car then. I had to make a trip to Memphis, Tenn. and back and that was rough, especially with 2 babies in the back seat and a 6 ft female Boa Constrictor. I was glad to get that car back to Dover. I sold it to someone in Maryland when I got orders to England. I took something special there with me, but that's is another story for another time.

Basically...you really have to think long and hard on what you feel you want the car to perform like. You have to feel out your surroundings. How are the roads, the cops (especially). Engine wise that's a no brainer...build what you want for the gas available, but the rear is a whole different thought process.

That is my experience. I'm putting my 302 back in along with the 3.73's and sticking to it. Getting too old for the old days.

Quote:
Hey Gary based on your experience, what changes would you make for the ultimate set up. Since I am starting from scratch I am curious how to get the best of all possible worlds in one great package. Some say more gear, some say less. I do like a bit of hi way driving, but no major long trips planned, just around town.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I thought Jon at DriverzInc. told me Coker already has the molds for the 15" tire, and from what I noticed about Coker Tires, they are expensive. If you can find any TA's locally get them. Jon called me and said he could not find any TA's anywhere, would I be happy with Cooper or Firestone. I said Firestone INDY 500's. I was really surprised when I opened the boxes and saw the TA's. I think his words to me when I called him were 'I had to pull some strings, but I found a set for you'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
Looks awesome Gary, I've sometimes thought about going for a larger size wheel (still an old school design), but those pictures have reassured me that 15" in that style look just right with Radial T/As, as an alternative to the standard Rallys.
Didn't know that BFG had stopped producing that tire, will Coker (? spelling) continue to make them from the molds? If not I'd better buy a set before they sell out....

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 11, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Thanks Gary. Are your tires 235/60 by any chance?

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode