Chrome Rallyes need trim rings? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Chrome Rallyes need trim rings?

Hi there,

I plan on getting 15" X 7" and 15" X 8" Rallye chrome wheels.

Do I need trim rings for these? For the looks.....I rather have it perfect than an "off" look. Most trim rings are stainless?

Advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Gordon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 10:17 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Chrome Rallyes need trim rings?

A chrome ralley wheel is a completely different look than a stock ralley. Looking "off" is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I don't like a ralley that is chromed or painted anything but argent silver but that's my taste. I'm not a purist it's just what I like and don't like.

If you run trim rings on a chrome wheel expect the clips to damage the chrome, it certainly does the painted wheels. I think that most guys running chrome ralleys don't use trim rings, just the derby caps.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Hi Dennis,

Good point....I have only seen one 68 machine with chrome ralleys and I don't recall if it had the trim rings or not.

Will look up more pix of first gens on the web and see if I can get a handle on the rings on chrome...or without.

Thanks,

Gordon

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 12:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Gordon,
If you ran rallye wheels with trim rings and derby caps, you can hardly see the rim itself. I like the look and as Dennis, don't care for chrome or painted rims other than the Argent Silver. See my rear wheel below in a close-up and overall pic of car!

Kev
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15x8.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	24701   Click image for larger version

Name:	My68.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	24703  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

Hey Kev,

I am leaning now towards the painted rims as the chrome ones won't make sense with trim rings.

I am going to sell off my 14" painted rallys and tires and get the 15" painted ones with trim rings.

I already have the "disc brake" center caps from the 14" wheels....will they fit right on the 15" rallys?

Thanks,

Gordon
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 12:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Gordon,

Center caps fit all size wheels so you are all set with what you have from the 14 wheels.! BTW, I am running 15x8 rims all the way around which are painted Argent Silver which you can hardly see.

Kev

Last edited by SixtyAte; Sep 23rd, 11 at 01:03 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 12:57 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Call me crazy but I really like the Argent Silver OEM Rally wheels with polished trim rings.

That being said I wouldn't want to see a true chromed OEM Rally style wheel with the trim ring.

For me the sexiness is in the contrast of the silver paint reflecting on the ring. I think it draws your eye into the wheel. Polished chrome everywhere begins to remind me a of a cylon or a toaster.

What code are your 14 inchers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

I don't know the code on my wheels as the tires and wheels are on the car now...would the code be stamped outside somewhere?

I'm convinced on the majority saying that I should go with the painted wheels. So, that's what I'll do.

Looking around on the web I see lots of ads for Corvette Rallye wheels which appear similar to first gens rallyes.... is there any difference in them like backspacing, etc?

Thanks,

Gordon
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

I love the look of your car, Kev, I'll probably go with the 15" X 7"s up front, though.

The trim rings are really nice, are they chrome or stainless?

Thanks,

Gordon
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 02:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Gordon,

Backspacing on the 15x8 is 4.25 to 4.50 and most of the wheels you find will be the 4;00 or 4.25 depth. Yes, they are original 15x3" stainless trim rings. Best way to go is stainless.

Kev
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member
Gordon

I guess the best thing for me to do is get this kit from Classic Industries as it'll include everything...I don't need the wheel locks and extra lug nuts but it's nice to have trim rings already included for the $507 price. Have not checked shipping but that'll probably be $70 or $80 more unless I get a "free shipping" weekend coupon like I did last Easter.

1967-68 RALLY WHEEL KIT MIXED 15" X 7" / 15" X 8" DISC BRAKES CHEVROLET MOTOR DIVISION CAPS
These 1967 standard Rally wheel kits include center cap ornaments of the type originally installed by the factory on Camaro models with the disc brake option. Ornaments in this kit feature the wording "Chevrolet Motor Division" and "Disc Brakes" encircling the Bow Tie.

Each kit Includes:

•(2) 15"x7" Rally Wheels
•(2) 15"x7" Stainless Steeel Trim Rings
•(2) 15"x8" Rally Wheels
•(2) 15"x8" Stainless Steeel Trim Rings
•(4) Center Cap Bases
•(4) Center Cap Ornaments
•(16) Ornament Screws
•(20) Lug Nuts
•(4) Wheel Locks
•(1) Wheel Lock Key
•(4) Valve Stems

Is this a good deal?

Thanks,

Gordon
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 05:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Gordon,

Looks like a good deal...

Kev
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 05:19 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordr View Post
I don't know the code on my wheels as the tires and wheels are on the car now...would the code be stamped outside somewhere?
Yes they are stamped on the rim by the valve-stem. Here is a CRG link to the wheels id section. Mine are K19 3 5 YJ.

http://www.camaros.org/suspen.shtml#Wheels

Quote:
I'm convinced on the majority saying that I should go with the painted wheels. So, that's what I'll do.
Nice you will like the classic look and won't be disappointed. The trim rings are just the right amount of bling. Sadly make sure you get a quality ring as many of the cheap imports from China are trash in a few years. NOS are wicked expensive on flea pay but worth the price for the quality of the stainless.

Quote:
Looking around on the web I see lots of ads for Corvette Rallye wheels which appear similar to first gens rallyes.... is there any difference in them like backspacing, etc?
Thanks,
Gordon
I think all the GM Chevrolet Rally wheels were manufactured the same. The backspace may be different for Vettes vs. Camaro's and Chevelles. My 14 inch have a 4 inch backspace, and think Vettes were 4.5?

A wheel kit may give you the best prices and offer a one stop purchase, but I would also shop the parts individually and look at a few classifieds and auctions and such. I picked up a set of GM trim rings for a garage warming present for a couple hundred bucks and they were in perfect condition.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	24709  

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 11, 06:08 PM
Steve

I have chrome Rally's on mine and I had wondered the same thing. I like the looks without them and a lot of people told me they liked the chrome wheels. Unless you can find real chrome rings the stainless ones would look out of place, just because the shine of the chrome wouldn't be there.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 11, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech
Kip

Ive got chrome Rallyes on my 67... with the short disc brake caps. It is a bit of a different look. I think it is a little less subdued than the classic rallye set up.. but not as "bling" as after market wheels. I get lots of compliments on them. You can tell that people look at them and it takes them a moment or two to figure out what is different. Plus... the are super easy to take care of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode