Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 11, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Garage
What type of tyre came on 69 rs factory look

Hi All

I have just received my Factory RS wheels and I would like to know if any of you memmbers know what is the correct Tyre used back in 69 was it white walled or was it the BF Goodrich Radial T/A lettering or bare rubber Tyre.

and what your thoughts would be as I would like to use a Narrow White Wall or Red Wall my camaro is Cortez Silver

thanks for your Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 11, 07:37 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Re: What type of tyre came on 69 rs factory look

George,
Wheels and tires were optional, but the RS option didn't automatically determine the wheel/tire combo, it was a buyer choice; no real way to know what your car came with unless you have original documentation from the selling dealer which lists RPO codes etc. This pdf spreadsheet http://www.camaros.org/pdf/options.pdf shows wheel and tire options on page 5.
As far as I know, the BFG Radial T/A was not around in the early years of Camaro production, and the RWL tire options then were the Good Year Polyglas and Firestone Wide Oval (I think, not really my area).
Radial T/As are a very popular choice, but redwall tires sometimes look good - basically whatever blows your hair back goes, it's your car.
What size are your "factory" wheels, and are they Rallys??
You could also try these guys for good tire choice here in Aus: http://www.antiquetyres.com.au/

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 11, 08:17 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Check this thread:
Original Factory Tires

Goodyear Polyglas were a mid year introduction for 1969 SS models. Other Goodyears, Firestone and Uniroyal "tiger-paws" were common factory tires with redline and white wall options.

The BF Goodrich TA line was a very popular RWL tire used by first gen owners until it was retired - no pun intended - and molds sold to Coker Tire last year. You can still find inventory of them in some places. I bought five a few weeks back on tirerack.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 11, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLP955 View Post
George,
Wheels and tires were optional, but the RS option didn't automatically determine the wheel/tire combo, it was a buyer choice; no real way to know what your car came with unless you have original documentation from the selling dealer which lists RPO codes etc. This pdf spreadsheet http://www.camaros.org/pdf/options.pdf shows wheel and tire options on page 5.
As far as I know, the BFG Radial T/A was not around in the early years of Camaro production, and the RWL tire options then were the Good Year Polyglas and Firestone Wide Oval (I think, not really my area).
Radial T/As are a very popular choice, but redwall tires sometimes look good - basically whatever blows your hair back goes, it's your car.
What size are your "factory" wheels, and are they Rallys??
You could also try these guys for good tire choice here in Aus: http://www.antiquetyres.com.au/

I have Rally wheels on order they are arriving tommorow and they are 15x7 the original Rally wheels were not in a good state and the guy that sold me the car gave me some keystone classic wheels but i dont like them hence going back to the original look... I have looked at the site you put me on and found out that they are the same people whitewall Tryes so im going ahead and purchassing 215 x 70 x 15 white wall. i think with the Hounds Tooth interior and the cortez silver it will look good.

where abouts in NSW are you?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 11, 02:27 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa View Post
where abouts in NSW are you?
Central West; you?

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 11, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Garage

St Geoege district
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode