American Racing 17"x8" TTO opinions please - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 11, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

American Racing 17"x8" TTO opinions please

I love the look of 60's TA wheels but the Mini Lights and vintage wheel works are just out of my price range. ARR torque thrust originals come in 17x8 with 4.5 BS. First question, how is the quality of the wheel compared to vintage ww or team III? and could I run a 275/40 or am I stuck at 255/45 for rubber?

1968 Camaro.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 11, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Re: American Racing 17"x8" TTO opinions please

Also if you are running on 17" TTO's please post a picture. Thanks

1968 Camaro.....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 11, 12:58 PM
Team Member
Jim

I have 17" TTs (not 100% sure if their TTOs).

Jim
'69 Coupe - "Pretty Car"
'68 Mustang GT/CS - Pretty Pony"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 11, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

First Jim (OP) - depends on your suspension setup (stock, aftermarket, lowered, etc) but with a 68 I think you may run into tire rubbing issues - have you had a look in the wheel and tire "sticky" thread for pictures and specs?
Second Jim (Jim69) - your car looks great, love that color and stance!

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 11, 01:11 PM
Tech Team
steve

17"x8 TT with 255/50r17 and 225/50r17

Last edited by stevie; Jun 30th, 15 at 06:03 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 11, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Thanks and I have been looking at all the post for days. A lot of people are running TT 2's and that may be due to the different back space options available. My car is lowered running globalwest upper, lower a-arms, and rear leafs. This may be one of those things were you have to wait and spend the $$ on VWW or Team III because they will give you any offset you want. Carl was nice enough to answer a few PM's I sent his way. I could run 255/45 but 4.5" back space isn't enough for a wider tire. I just wanted to see if it was enough BS for the front. I have 15" rally's on the front now with 235/60 and 4.25". They are not tucking in as much as I would like.

1968 Camaro.....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 11, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Oh and 69's are a wider car mine is a 68. I love the pic "very nice!!" but I need to see pics of a 67 or 68. Thanks

1968 Camaro.....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 11, 11:54 AM
Tech Team
Scott

The best way to go about it is simply to measure to see what will fit. I simply took the measurement from the inside wheel well to the outer lip for total tire width, and used a carpenter square (any straight edge will work) to measure from the mounting surface of rear disk to both the inner and outer well to be able to center the wheel in the opening. I have a 69 that is lowered 2.5" all the way around with lowering springs and 1" blocks, I fit a 285/40/17 with a 9.5" torque thrust on the rear and a 245/40/17 on the front with a 8" rim. The only modification, the previous owner cut the rear wells even with the chrome wheel well trim. So far no problems, I have only run a few hundred miles but just had them off yesterday to check for rubbing and so far ....none.

I actually put a 5" bs on the rear driver side, a 5.5" bs on the passenger side and a 4.5" bs for the front.

Hope it helps....best to measure your car, they are all a little different. I'm very picky and wouldnt take discount's recomendation to go with standard 8" all around. They are special order but, call wheel pros I go mine in 4 days.

Scott

1969, 383ci - 486hp, 700r4 3000 lock up conv, hotchkis sway bars, 2.5" drop, Moser 12 bolt 373's, vintage air front runner, rear disk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 11, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Thanks Scott. I know what you are saying. The rear in my 68 came from a chevelle and was fabricated to fit. It's a nice 12 bolt eaton center mooser axles new tubes ends and spring purches. A lot of work but I got all the parts new and for free. Plus it allowed me to make sure it was perfectly centered in the car. LOL we are a sick bunch!!!

1968 Camaro.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode