Hub Centric Rings? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 11, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

Send a message via Yahoo to cadmanof50s
Hub Centric Rings?

OK. Tomorrow I will be ordering my new wheels and I thought it would be a good idea to also purchase a set of hub-centric rings.

My new wheels have a bore of 83mm. I can get rings with an outside diameter of 82 mm. This should fit very well.

But what size inside do I need.? I can get a set with outside of 82 mm and inside of 71.5 mm

My car is a '68 with front disks and rear drums. I currently have an original set of 14" rally wheels which fit perfectly over the front and rear hubs.

will rings of 82mm out and 71.5mm inside work?

Thanks!

Vic

Vic Brincat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

383 SB, AFR 195 Heads, 670 Holley, Doug Thorley Tri-Y Headers, Lunati "Voodo" roller cam, Weiand 8150 Intake, Scorpion Edurance Rockers, 700r4, Eaton Posi with 3.73 gears, Front Discs, Summit Legend 5 - 15" with BF Goodrich TAs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 04:54 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Hub Centric Rings?

?????

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you! Jeremy Clarkson

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 06:07 AM
Kevin

Vic, thanks for the term, I did not know these existed! I will need these for my truck project. I assume you have a way to measure the old rally wheels (which are hub centric) and have the specs for the new wheels to determine the difference.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...Centric-Rings/

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

Kevin, there in lies my problem..I don't know the bore size of the old rallys'.

<OK..I was being lazy and hoped someone would know....;-)>
But I will go out to the garage, pull off one of the wheels and get my calipers out.

Here is what I got:

I measure 70.5 mm at the outer edges of the front hub. That leaves 1 mm to spare with the 82/71.5 mm ones I selected below. Should be okay with these....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-82-7150/

Vic

Vic Brincat

383 SB, AFR 195 Heads, 670 Holley, Doug Thorley Tri-Y Headers, Lunati "Voodo" roller cam, Weiand 8150 Intake, Scorpion Edurance Rockers, 700r4, Eaton Posi with 3.73 gears, Front Discs, Summit Legend 5 - 15" with BF Goodrich TAs

Last edited by cadmanof50s; Nov 29th, 11 at 07:21 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 09:11 AM
Senior Tech
John

You should get rings that match the exact inside dimensions of the rim and the outside of the hub, which is 70.5. Dont give a MM to spare. I bought the aftermarket rallys from JC whitney and they needed the rings. I found a set on ebay that matched the exact rim dimension and the 70.5 hub dimension. They fit tight.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 10:08 AM
Kevin

Why so tight? The 1mm difference is really .5mm when mounted. The lugs should center is well within those limits.

Kevin

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

1 mm is basically 40 thousands of an inch. Kevin is right, when mounted that thranslates to 20 thousands of an inch on each side.

Also it is important to keep in mind heating and cooling. Hubs often get hot and will want to expnad some...probably not 20 thousands of an inch but some expansion room is needed.

When you look very close at the hub, it tapers out slight where it meets the base of the drum and the disc. That tapers adds at least 1 mm.

Lastly, the ones that I saw had no other option than 71.5 mm. in combination with a 82 outside.

I ordered my new wheels along with these rings and locking nuts. When I get them and have a chance to install, I will post let you know how they and work.

Vic Brincat

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 10:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Hub Centric Rings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmanof50s View Post

My new wheels have a bore of 83mm.

Vic
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmanof50s View Post
... I measure 70.5 mm at the outer edges of the front hub. That leaves 1 mm to spare with the 82/71.5 mm ones ...

Vic
Hummm - my math would say you have 2mm min. "to spare"
You're already 1mm 'off' at the wheel, then adding another 1mm at the hub - then splitting the difference ...

So, you want a hub center ring that either fits the wheel exactly or the hub exactly and is press-fit to the other part - not one to throw in there to rattle around between the two ...

Try - http://www.motorsport-tech.com/ (fixed it)
Go to "Hub Ring" page and check - they do custom for very reasonable $$ also
And go for Aluminum if you plan to use your car in any competition like auto-cross.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

Last edited by Vintage 68; Nov 29th, 11 at 11:32 AM. Reason: fixed link ...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech
John

All I can say is press on with what you think is correct. My rings are tighter than a ducks a$$, the ring slides over the hub tight...No wiggle. Then fit the rim onto the hub, over the ring..... No wiggle at all...... again tight. I have run them for a while now....up and down the autobahn.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

John and John,

All very good points. Thank you!
I went to the http://www.motorsport-tech.com/ site. And I will defintely keep it as a reference. A set from these guys which will no doubt provide a very good fit is $100.00.

Lets see if my $18.99 set fits snug enough. If not, I will order a set from motosport.

Of course, I am a big believer in "you get what you pay for".

BTW, according to this site, teh '68 Camaro has a hub diamater of 70.3 mm

Vic Brincat

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 11, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vic

Update>

Just got my new wheels and the $18.99 hub rings.
I will not be using these rings as the fit is sloppy.

I will be taking Johns' advise and ordering a proper set of rings from:
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/

Thanks guys.

Vic

Vic Brincat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode