Rally Wheel Trim Ring - Which is Correct? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lloyd

Rally Wheel Trim Ring - Which is Correct?

I am trying to determine which rally wheel trim ring is correct for my 4C build date 1969 Z/28. The rings I need are 15" 4 clip style however is the slotted or oval/captured valve stem cutout correct for my car?

Oval / Captured style

Slotted Style

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 04:20 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Rally Wheel Trim Ring - Which is Correct?

top one is correct for 69

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
top one is correct for 69
Thanks for responding however how do you know this is the correct trim ring?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 04:35 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Ah I was afraid you would ask that question. There are two correct numbers. Before recall and after recall. In the blurb below the superseded number is the part number before recall - the design with the "suicide" clips. The first number is the replacement design number with the improved and safer clip design.
So we have this info for 2 1/4" rings:
3934892(sup by 475020 inside clips) - 1969/ALL WITH 14 IN STD WHEEL /OPTION P06
3934892(sup by 475020 inside clips) - 1969-71/ALL WITH 14 IN RALLY WHEEL /OPTION ZJ7/ EXC 350 /300 HP/ AND 396 ENGINE

And we have this info for 2 3/4" rings
9796919 (sup by 2251945 ring clips) - 1969-70/ALL WITH 14 IN RALLY WHEEL /OPTION ZJ7/ WITH 350 /300 HP/ AND 396 ENGINE
9796919 (sup by 2251945 ring clips) - 1969/ALL WITH 14 IN SUPER SPORT WHEEL /OPTION N66/

To me that reads that for the 69 Camaro the 3934892 ring was used by standard 14" wheels and rally wheels EXCEPT for the 350/300 and 396 engines. Which means to me non-SS rally wheels, ergo 14x6 rallys.

And the 9796919 ring was used on the N66 rim (SS wheel) AND option ZJ7 rally WITH 350/300 and 396 engines (SS models!)

from this thread:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showpo...6&postcount=32

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showpo...22&postcount=4

And
15 inch Z-28 thread is here but don't know if the GM part is ever mentioned.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...nch+trim+rings

Last edited by 69-Pace; Nov 29th, 11 at 04:55 PM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lloyd

Brian, thanks for such a comprehensive reply. I note that all the part number references are for 14 inch wheels where the Z/28 YH rally wheel is of course a 15 inch diameter. In the "15 inch Z-28" thread link "Zuma", in Post #7, he provides 2 pictures of what he describes as an original trim ring on a YH wheel that clearly shows the oval / captured stem cutout. I question if this is reliable information because if you click through to the link in his signature to pictures of the '69 he restored, its an SS not a Z/28 and tires in the photos match those in the posting. There's no way to tell if these are 14" or 15" wheels/tires and importantly if they are original Z/28 15" trim rings or something else. Have I missed something?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 11, 08:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Dunno any part numbers, but I think this is the correct look for a 1969 Z/28. The outside lip has a double ridge and the valve stem hole is oval with flat sides. (Photo shows a 15" YH wheel.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trimRing.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	25659  

Last edited by JeffD; Nov 29th, 11 at 08:49 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 04:59 AM
Kevin

Jeff's pic is more correct (but hard to really see the details). The first pic in the OP is the 14" SS rally edge treatment, the 2nd pic in not a 69 Camaro, but has the correct step down edge treatment. For 15" rallys you are looking for a oval hole, step down edge ring.

This is the 14x6 ring, showing the step down edge treatment. The 15" edge treatment is very similar.

Kevin

Last edited by KevinW; Jun 20th, 16 at 04:13 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 06:19 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemontvillage View Post
Brian, thanks for such a comprehensive reply. I note that all the part number references are for 14 inch wheels where the Z/28 YH rally wheel is of course a 15 inch diameter. In the "15 inch Z-28" thread link "Zuma", in Post #7, he provides 2 pictures of what he describes as an original trim ring on a YH wheel that clearly shows the oval / captured stem cutout. I question if this is reliable information because if you click through to the link in his signature to pictures of the '69 he restored, its an SS not a Z/28 and tires in the photos match those in the posting. There's no way to tell if these are 14" or 15" wheels/tires and importantly if they are original Z/28 15" trim rings or something else. Have I missed something?
Yeah I'm sorry since I have 14 inch wheels I lost track of the final outcome for the 15 inch series. The GM parts catalog for 72, and 75 that these part numbers came from should have all the GM wheel sizes. Ask and they should be able to pull that info for you. If I find my uncles 72 catalog in the garage - suspect a buddy"borrowed" it - I'll post it for you this weekend. But I'm sure someone will beat me to it.

The long and the short as to the "correct" style and design of the Rally wheel trim rings for which application and year is mute after the mandated safety recall as GM only produced one hole shape and style and this replacement part became the standard part for all lines. That is just the way GM handled it. They made different depths and diameters but all have the same design. If you went in for any service while the recall was active, the dealer ripped off the suicide rings and slapped on the replacement and billed GM. It was easy money in their pocket. So in reality it doesn't matter 40 plus years later if the hole or step is correct as original show-room floor unless you have a show car.

The beauty is that once installed those two features disappear into the magic that the stainless rings, chrome derby caps and argent silver rim paint combination does to the human eye. No one except a competition judge is going to say hey you have the wrong rings.

Just buy quality as the cheapo China rings are notorious for loosing luster after a few months. Quality NOS pre and post recall design rings in all sizes hit flea bite all the time if you are looking for that, and if you catch a sleeper you can spend less then a grand on them, but quality perfect used ones for cheaper then Ricks also hit all the time. I picked up a set of 4 for a couple of hundred a while back for a buddy's ride while he serves over in the sandbox. One small area that buffed out and they are perfect post recall.

Hope that helps you find peace in the trim ring patch.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lloyd

Quote:
Yeah I'm sorry since I have 14 inch wheels I lost track of the final outcome for the 15 inch series. The GM parts catalog for 72, and 75 that these part numbers came from should have all the GM wheel sizes. Ask and they should be able to pull that info for you. If I find my uncles 72 catalog in the garage - suspect a buddy"borrowed" it - I'll post it for you this weekend. But I'm sure someone will beat me to it.

The long and the short as to the "correct" style and design of the Rally wheel trim rings for which application and year is mute after the mandated safety recall as GM only produced one hole shape and style and this replacement part became the standard part for all lines. That is just the way GM handled it. They made different depths and diameters but all have the same design. If you went in for any service while the recall was active, the dealer ripped off the suicide rings and slapped on the replacement and billed GM. It was easy money in their pocket. So in reality it doesn't matter 40 plus years later if the hole or step is correct as original show-room floor unless you have a show car.

The beauty is that once installed those two features disappear into the magic that the stainless rings, chrome derby caps and argent silver rim paint combination does to the human eye. No one except a competition judge is going to say hey you have the wrong rings.

Just buy quality as the cheapo China rings are notorious for loosing luster after a few months. Quality NOS pre and post recall design rings in all sizes hit flea bite all the time if you are looking for that, and if you catch a sleeper you can spend less then a grand on them, but quality perfect used ones for cheaper then Ricks also hit all the time. I picked up a set of 4 for a couple of hundred a while back for a buddy's ride while he serves over in the sandbox. One small area that buffed out and they are perfect post recall.

Hope that helps you find peace in the trim ring patch.
Good advice Brian. On your point "So in reality it doesn't matter 40 plus years later if the hole or step is correct as original show-room floor unless you have a show car.", my car was Legends judged in 2007 and I am working on correcting some areas where there were point deductions so "correct and original" is my focus. As you can appreciate its a tedious process.

Last edited by Edgemontvillage; Nov 30th, 11 at 11:46 AM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Jeff's pic is more correct (but hard to really see the details). The first pic in the OP is the 14" SS rally edge treatment, the 2nd pic in not a 69 Camaro, but has the correct step down edge treatment. For 15" rallys you are looking for a oval hole, step down edge ring.
This is the 14x6 ring, showing the step down edge treatment. The 15" edge treatment is very similar.

Very helpful, thanks

Last edited by KevinW; Jun 20th, 16 at 04:18 PM.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech

This is a 4 clip 15" trim ring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00904.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	25665   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00906.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	25666  
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 10:35 AM
Senior Tech

and on a wheel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00910.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	25667  
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by msicks View Post
and on a wheel
Thanks, good photos.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 11, 01:09 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemontvillage View Post
Good advice Brian. On your point "So in reality it doesn't matter 40 plus years later if the hole or step is correct as original show-room floor unless you have a show car.", my car was Legends judged in 2007 and I am working on correcting some areas where there were point deductions so "correct and original" is my focus. As you can appreciate its a tedious process.
Ah yes I can understand that you have some digging and hunting to do. Did you get the correct original part number yet?

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 11, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Lloyd

Quote:
Ah yes I can understand that you have some digging and hunting to do. Did you get the correct original part number yet?
Brian, no confirmed part number as yet however I wasn't aware the GM part # was stamped anywhere on the trim rings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode