68 Coming Home needs new shoes! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Mike

68 Coming Home needs new shoes!

Long Time Lurker, First Post

My project (basic 68 RS) is finally coming home after a year and a half. Her shoes are worn out and she needs some new ones so after reading here for the past year I though I had figured out what I wanted with regards to sizes.

I was going with Torq Thrust II's with Nitto 555's.

Front
17x7 4.25bs with a 235/45/17
Rear
17x8 4.75bs with a 255/45/17

So I went to the local wheel shop to order them yesterday. I was told that the front wheel (17x7) was only available in a 4.00 bs and would need to be special ordered taking 6-12 weeks. I was surprised because after reading through every tire/wheel thread I could find that seemed like a pretty standard size.

Anyhow, my question is this. What wheels, and BS, should I run? Currently it is factory rear drum, disc conversion in the front, and stock other than that.

My future plans are to put the standard Hotchkis lowering kit and to swap out the rear end with a 73 nova 8.5 10bolt that is a direct bolt in and convert the rear to disc as well so I want to make sure whatever i get will fit now and in the future.

That is my long winded post. Should I stick with the sizes I mentioned above so that I can accomplish my goals or will other back spacing work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 11, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Mike

Re: 68 Coming Home needs new shoes!

Since I didn't receive any replies I thought I would post what I ordered.

Went with the 17x7 4.0 bs with a 235/45 for the fronts

Went with the 17x8 4.8 bs with a 255/45 for the rears.

I really wanted 17x8 and 17x9.5 with more meat on the ground in the rear but was scared that the 275's and 9.5's would rub. I felt pretty comfortable with the combo I chose fitting without rubbing.

It's not going to hook up unless I put slicks on it anyway so what the heck.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 11, 10:12 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: 68 Coming Home needs new shoes!

Things get a little slow in Tires and Wheels because the wheels and sizes that fit the 1st gen Camaro are covered well as you noticed. The thing is those sizes are not necessarly common to all the other cars these wheels could be installed on. Tire manufactures and tire shops won't make and won't stock something for a specific make and model. It would take up too much room to store hundreds of wheels and it would mean building wheels that might never sell. What they do mass produce is a size that will fit most every '50s - '80s GM vehicle with the same lug pattern even thought the wheel may not take advantage of the room available on a given year and model. Most wheel manufactures websites cover this but often the tire and wheel shop guy won't because he wants to move inventory.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode