Which cragar should I return? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Which cragar should I return?

So I ordered the direct fit 5 4-3/4 classic cragar 15x8 wheel from Jegs. It was on back order, or atleast I thought. So I went ahead and ordered the same wheel from summit, but in uni lug. When I called to cancel my order at jegs they said my wheels had already shipped. Long story short, I have two sets of 15x8's showing up at my house tomorrow. My fronts are 15x7 uni lug. Which set should I return? I was thinking the resale value would be better for the unilug since they would fit more vehicles. There any benefit to the direct fit? Need to figure out which rear set to send back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 11:04 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Which cragar should I return?

Sent back the uni-lug. They may fit more bolt patterns and in general work well but they can be a pain when bolting them up and they can be tightened down without the wheel being centered properly...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Well, I think summit may have made the decision for me. Jegs said that once I recieive them to just call them and they will give me a ups #and they will pay for shipping to send back (Jegs sold me the direct fit). Summit said I would have to pay for shipping if I sent theirs back which would be between 30-40 bucks so I guess I am keeping the uni lug.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 06:34 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

The key to uni-lug is to start all the lugs and position the wheel as you start to snug the lugs a little at a time. If you get one lug further along than the others it will be hard to get the wheel centered. Also check your lugs just a bit more than you would conical seat lugs.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 11, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Will do. Thanks for the info
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 11, 01:11 AM
Senior Tech
Mel

I'd stay away from uni-lugs, I had a buddy way back that bolted a set of uni-lugs on the rear and shortly after a night of cruising wound up with 4 out of 5 broken wheel studs on the rear left. bite the bullet and ship the uni-lugs back.

Mel

69 Z28, DZ, M20, BU.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 11, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Well crud. That makes sense on the rears being that there is more torque back there. I actually talked do a different Summit guy today and he said if I refuse the package I won't be charged shipping and if I am not there to refuse it, to just call his line direct and he'll get it worked out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 11, 01:45 PM
Senior Tech
Dee

If you have a choice I would strongly urge you to return the uni-lug. I have had both and MUCH prefer the direct fit.

1967 RS/SS350 Camaro (mostly stock)
1969 RS/SS Camaro (being improved!)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 11, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

I did! Kind of funny story actually. They both were scheduled to arrive at my house the same day, so I went home for lunch hoping that the UPS driver would show up and I could reject the Summit uni-lugs, Well, I had to go back to work and as I was driving back there was a UPS driver stopped at a dentist office. I stopped to talk to him and sure enough he had them and I got them sent back and also was able to get my lug nuts from him. Came home from work and the direct fit Cragars were sitting on my porch (got delivered from Fed ex). Everything worked out! I got them mounted and am really happy with how they turned out. The backspacing is perfect for my set up and ill post some pics soon. I went with 15x8 w/ 4-1/4" bs and 15x7 with 4-1/8" back spacing. Fronts have bfg 225/60/r15 and rears are 255/60/r15.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode