BFG 235/60 R 14 matching the tires on the car 12 70.59%
Reproduction of technically correct tire for the car 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 11, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

what sized spare would you use?

Putting a new set of BFGs on the Pace Car - 235/60R 14s. Got a nice spare rim finally and have the trunk dolled up looking great for shows - would you put an original looking repro tire on the rim for a spare or one matching the tires on the car? I will drive the car on weekends and some short road trips but also putting it in shows when there's one i am interested in.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 11, 11:19 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: what sized spare would you use?

match what you got on all four corners since you never know where you will need to use the spare and for how long. Using a different tire will result in drive-ability and handling issues IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 11, 05:02 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

A spare MUST be of the same diameter as the rear wheels ....If not then it scews the hypod gears and clulches in the diff.
Anything after that is puely cosmetic
I have 14x 60x 235s all round approx 24.5 "diameter, my spare is some odd ball skinny tyre on a steel rim of which I cant rem what size it is....hell its so long ago I cant rem the diam of the rim....I think it maybe an old 60s Jaguar rim which is the same stud pattern as 1st gens and HQ /HZ Aussie GM holden

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 11, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Well, I know it needs to be the same size as the others to use as a spare for any distance, guess the question was more about judging at a car show - not a show for originality but one that you would have in most cities and towns with amature judges - would you deduct points for not original size spare when judging the trunk or perhaps deduct for not matching the size on the car and would the points make more difference than the usability of a spare. For sure, using the spare a matching tire makes more sense, but I have to say, I can't remember using a spare on one of my cars in the last 15 years. Last one I used was on my boat trailer. Of course then there's Murphy's law.....

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 11, 09:07 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

The only time I throw the spare in is on a road trip, and if that road trip includes a show or show n shine I pull it out along with the mats , car seat covers, tool box, picnic stuff the chilly bin, data logger and garmin.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 11, 04:15 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

When I judge I DO pay attention to the detail of the trunk and the matching and quality of the spare. The trunk area is one that points are lost and it does'nt take much to detail it out . . . .the spare should match the rest of the tires and detail it out with a satin tire dressing.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 11, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks for the input guys, I ordered another matching BFG Radial TA 235/60R 14 for the spare.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 11, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

They are not easy to get in and out.
Try it before u buy

Quote:
guess the question was more about judging at a car show - not a show for originality but one that you would have in most cities and towns with amature judges -
Do they in this case really worry about the spare even being there?

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 11, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
They are not easy to get in and out.
Try it before u buy

Do they in this case really worry about the spare even being there?
Good point! I did think of trying it out first actually and put one of the 4 new ones I have already in there - slipped in easily. Sure doesn't leave much room in there with the spare though!

On the trunk judging, see the comment below. Any of the shows I have been to judges have a sheet to which have the areas judged, and they all so far have included the trunk. A technically correct trunk with spare on a matching wheel, jack, jack handle, splatter paint, liner (on a delux model), and jack instructions sticker in the right spot on the decklid are the things I would look for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
When I judge I DO pay attention to the detail of the trunk and the matching and quality of the spare. The trunk area is one that points are lost and it does'nt take much to detail it out . . . .the spare should match the rest of the tires and detail it out with a satin tire dressing.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 11, 11:39 AM
Senior Tech

Personally, I'd be lookin' for a Space Saver. Why? It gives ya a lot more room in the trunk...and looks great, with that air bottle on top. Now, you can get serious about setting up tune equip.

I know that if I get a flat, I'm on the phone to the AAA guys to help me out...and no probs to date.

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 11, 01:38 PM
Senior Tech
Nev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
A spare MUST be of the same diameter as the rear wheels ....If not then it scews the hypod gears and clulches in the diff.
Anything after that is puely cosmetic
Not arguing this point but just a few comments / questions;
How about the space saver car in some of the newer cars? They seem to be significantly smaller in diameter to other wheel/tire on each corner.

Wouldn't a different diamater on each side of the rear just be like turning a really big corner? (i.e outside wheel travels faster / more rpm than inside wheel) Probably not a good thing unless your driving a NASCAR.

Do you need 2 spares if you run different sizes on front / back?

Rgds,
Nev

Almost finished (?) 68 Camaro
383 stroker
T350
12 bolt Moser
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 11, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

A space saver spare would be great, but the mounting position for the space saver spare is up high and I don't think it won't work with a convertible because of the well for the top to go into when it's down. Don't think it was an option on a convertible for that reason. No problem really, it's not like I'm going to take the family on a trip in the car anyway - there's room for a cooler, a fold up chair for shows, and even a small suit case if I want to go out of town overnight with it.

Back to sanding wheels to paint - man there's a bunch of paint on these things. I'm thinking I'm going to pull out the sand blaster tomorrow if it warms up!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 11, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good decision to buy a fifth tire matching the rest for local shows.
For concours showing, I would replace it with the tire shown on the trunk lid sticker, Owner's Manual, build sheet, if found, or window sticker, RPO N65(?)
Walnut shells or PBM (plastic blast media) works great to remove paint and uses less pressure/volume, if wheel is not rusted.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 11, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

I don't think the 408 w 650 holley DP, Dart heads and ceramic coated headers would fare well in a concours show, but it makes me smile! I am allowed 3 modifications in local shows though - Engine, Exhaust, and Tires makes 3 right?

Seriously, I will keep the concours judging tip in mind when the car goes back to stock, it will just be a while, too much fun like it is for now.

Wheels aren't rusted, just been repainted twice on top of the original color - I wanted to get some of it off before putting another coat on it. Took a wire wheel to one and realized I shouldn't have, going to take that one down to bare metal now and may just sand the other ones smooth.

Last edited by srode; Dec 23rd, 11 at 03:08 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 11, 09:08 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Wouldn't a different diamater on each side of the rear just be like turning a really big corner? (i.e outside wheel travels faster / more rpm than inside wheel)
yes a big coner in a straight line, each axle at differnt speed hypod gears working their poor little hearts out and if a limited diff the clutch plates doing their best to 'clutch' and forced not to.....yes lol "Probably not a good thing unless your driving a NASCAR."

Quote:
Do you need 2 spares if you run different sizes on front / back?
No front can be diff sizes but donr decide to do some fast cnring or anything stupid, the whole front alignment geometry will be way out hilter ...its to work till get the orginal fixed ASAP.

Space saver..yep so long as the same diam as the rear wheels...
I recolect a looonnnggg time back a thread something about an emergency or spacie (kiwi slang) ex factory for 1st gens....my memory is pretty damn good..but cant rem this time how that discussion went....search function someone? Im talking yrs back...Where is John when we need him lol...most proberly being inconsiderate and with his family at Christmas time lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode