Raised white letters?? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Raised white letters??

Is it just me or is it now difficult to find tires with raised white letters. I've been to wal-mart, Big-O, Sam's and Sears and have not found a tire with raised white letters for my Camaro. That is downright UN-AMERICAN! I've only found raised white letters on SUV/Off Road tires. There should be a law against stuff like this. I'm looking for 215/65/15.

1967 Camaro Convertible with a 327, TH350transmission, Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb, Edelbrock 1721 fuel pump & 2701 intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The true measure of a man is not where he stands in time of comfort and convenience but where he stands in time of challenge and controversy."
MLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 03:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Re: Raised white letters??

Have you looked into BF Goodrich radial T/A tires?

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 03:58 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Think your choices are BF Goodrich Radial TAs or Firestone Firehawk INDY 500's, unless you have a large pocketbook and then you can go to Coker tires and get reproductions of the original style of tires the car had.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 04:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

I will also add that Hoosier offers some street radials that look good and appear to be a real street tire. Probably a little on the soft side and not stellar for wear, but I do have a couple friends that use them.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Cooper tire has RWL tires. Check the tire rack on line.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 05:09 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

A few shops told me that BFG was no longer manufacturing the TA line. They sold the molds early last year to Coker Tire, which features them now in their ads but you still may find some inventory out there in the wild at you local tire shops. I snagged mine at TireRack.com this past summer at a good price.

Take a look on TireRack.com website and search RWL and size, or make and RWL on their site

Here is their blog listing:
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/steves...scle-car-tires

You can find them you just have to look real hard.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 05:42 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
A few shops told me that BFG was no longer manufacturing the TA line. They sold the molds early last year to Coker Tire, which features them now in their ads but you still may find some inventory out there in the wild at you local tire shops. I snagged mine at TireRack.com this past summer at a good price.

Take a look on TireRack.com website and search RWL and size, or make and RWL on their site

Here is their blog listing:
http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/steves-tire-selections/muscle-car-tires

You can find them you just have to look real hard.
Just purchased a set of 5 Radial TAs (one for spare) from Discount Tire - 235/60R 14s. Their roduction date Nov 2011 if I remember correctly. Guess they came from Cooker and sold through Discount Tire - but I did get a $50 rebate card from BFG with the purchase so hard to say. They are easy to find online, may not be as easy locally.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 06:06 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by srode View Post
Just purchased a set of 5 Radial TAs (one for spare) from Discount Tire - 235/60R 14s. Their roduction date Nov 2011 if I remember correctly. Guess they came from Cooker and sold through Discount Tire - but I did get a $50 rebate card from BFG with the purchase so hard to say. They are easy to find online, may not be as easy locally.
Yeah unlike most Coker.com tire offerings that I looked at, the BFG's in their catalog were priced at a realistic neighborhood tire shop price. And I did consider buying them there, but they only had 3 in stock of any of the sizes I was considering. The reproduction RWL tire they had are expensive for a bad riding tire, couldn't see doing that just for the looks.

Maybe its Coker's managements attempt to get a less expensive non reproduction, and wildly popular tire line in the house to widen their market share and increase cash flow. By buying the BFG TA line they guarantee a cash flow as these are one of the most popular tire lines in recent history. Now if they would only ship UPS Ground shipping or any reasonable shipping prices - they only offered me Over Night Fed Ex at more then the BFG's would have cost and what are you going to do with only three tires? TireRack on the other hand had five tires in stock and offered as an option UPS Ground for like under 50 bucks in shipping compared to over 400 at Coker. UPS Ground lists as 5 to 7 business days, but they still were on my porch the next day. LOL.

So don't know what to say either. I just hope Coker keeps them available through other outlets and keeps the price reasonable. Or that BFG replaces the line with something as good if not better then the TA line and offers RLW.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

the BFGs shipped for free from Discount Tire via UPS Ground.

69 Pace Car and 69 Hard top
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 07:44 AM
Senior Tech
Brent

I purchased a set of BFG's (225/60/R15's and 255/60/R15's) through hibdon tire (Tulsa). They had them in stock in their warehouse. Not sure about availability though. Was going to get them through Summit, but it wound up coming out the same had I bought them from summit and then paid to have them mounted and balanced somewhere.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 08:16 AM
Senior Tech
Dee

Islanddean, what part of OK are you in? I recently bought a set of BFG TA's from Mustang Alignment in Mustang for a really good price (much cheaper than I was quoted elsewhere). They are good guys to deal with.

1967 RS/SS350 Camaro (mostly stock)
1969 RS/SS Camaro (being improved!)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 08:21 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanddean View Post
Is it just me or is it now difficult to find tires with raised white letters. I've been to wal-mart, Big-O, Sam's and Sears and have not found a tire with raised white letters for my Camaro. That is downright UN-AMERICAN! I've only found raised white letters on SUV/Off Road tires. There should be a law against stuff like this. I'm looking for 215/65/15.
Dean it's not just RWL tires, fewer and fewer tire manufactures are making the 14" and 15" tire sizes folks want for their old cars! Of the stores you mentioned BigO is the only one that could have helped you but didn't! Sears, Walmart and Sams are not tire stores but they sell tires but only the most popular sizes for modern cars. Who ever you delt with at BigO was just lazy.

Look around you, what else do you own that is 40 years old? Not much unless you collect antiques and you're not going to walk into Walmart or Sears for replacement parts for your collection!

The bottom line is you have to shop at major tire and wheel shops like Discount/American Tire, Firestone, Goodyear, Wheel Works etc. Depending on the size you'll find fewer brand choices. BFG TA Radials a lot of sizes were discontinued and a speciality company called Coker Tires now has the rights and is producing some sizes of TA radials.

You can check Summit, Jegs and local speed shops and that will bring in more brand and size choices like Mickey Thompsons because they cater to the hotrod crowds and there are other classic car tire places I haven't mentioned just start googling...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 09:57 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

America's Tire Company (aka: Discount Tires) has BFG T/A's in stock at their So-Cal warehouse. I ordered a replacement 245/60-15 and had it the next day.

Another option is Cooper Cobra's

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

List that comes to mind that can be bought with raised white letters are BFG, Firestone, Cooper, Micky Thompson and Master Craft.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 11, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Shane

Just bought a set of BF Goodrich Radial TA/s for my 69 255 60 15 and 225 60 15 In stock at Tire Rack and delivered to the door. Mounted them up on some American racing Daisy wheels with the raw centers. Had them mounted black walls out but had them switched to white letters out before they balanced them. They just didnt look right without the lettering. They look sweeeet now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode