What are the biggest wheels for the front? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 12, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

What are the biggest wheels for the front?

Just bought some torque thrust D's and was wondering what the biggest tires that will go on the front. The car is torn apart so I dont know if they will fit. The rims are 15x8.5 and it currently has 255/60's. Looking to have the deep dish look on the front.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

1967 RS Convertible, 454, M20 4-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 02:55 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Re: What is the biggest wheels for the front?

I think you may have clearance issues with an 8.5" rim up front, hopefully someone with a '67 can chime in with advice though. What's your front suspension and steering setup, esp ride height relative to factory spec? Also what is the backspace of the Torque Thrusts?

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 10:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

I think 255's are stretching it, and so are the 8.5" rims. Unless your front end is riding high and the wheels stick out the sides some.

245's rub on a lot of cars, unless the backspacing is perfect even on an 8" rim. 235's are generally pretty safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

Thanks for your help. The car is dropped 1.5in with hotchkis springs in front and rear. Stock steering set up. Got the wheels from a guy with a vette, so they are all the same size. I figured it was pushing it, but never hurts to ask. I am just wanting the widest one I can get on the front. Looks like 15x7's and 70's.

Thanks again.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 12:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboz67rs View Post
Thanks for your help. The car is dropped 1.5in with hotchkis springs in front and rear. Stock steering set up. Got the wheels from a guy with a vette, so they are all the same size. I figured it was pushing it, but never hurts to ask. I am just wanting the widest one I can get on the front. Looks like 15x7's and 70's.

Thanks again.
70's are even taller and will cause even more problems at that width. I think 60's look best on a 15" rim.

You should be able to run 15x8's with the correct backspacing, then a 235/60/15 should fit alright. Maybe a 245, but I would only try that if someone would let you mount it to the wheel first for a test fit.

Check out the stickies at the top of this forum. There was someone running 235/60/15's on a 15x7 up front, and 255/60/15's on a 15x7 in the rear.

Half way down the page, but no info on backspacing: 67's https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=153144

68's: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=153193

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 01:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

Remember the bigger the tire the harder to turn. Matter more with the old manual hot rods though.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 01:43 PM
Senior Tech
Tony B

I Like manual steering though, mash it and turn sideways, it straightens out by itself!!!

Your vehicle details go here
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 04:56 PM
ern
Senior Tech
ern

225by 50 15 on 15 -8 street lites
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 030.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	26408  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 12, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

235/60/15 on the front with Crager Eliminator's 4.25 back space front and 255/60/15 rear on 4.5 inch back space.

Front lowered with 1.5 inch drop but not settled in pics with hotchkiss and rear is lowered with hotchkiss 1.5 inch drop. Not sure how much it will settle.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 12, 09:05 AM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Carl C has some good info on his page you might be interested in. Look for the heading "How to swallow 275/40/17 in all four corners"
http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/

keep in mind, you can use the same process to fit different rim, sidewall as long as the height and width of the tire are the same.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 12, 11:40 AM
Michael

I don't know how different 67 is from 71..

On my 71, i used to run 8.5 enkei wheels with 225/60/15, and 245 in back... now i am running 245/35/18 in fronts on 8.5 and 285/30/19's on 10 inch in back..

Backspacing is the key..
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 12, 11:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy09 View Post
I don't know how different 67 is from 71..

On my 71, i used to run 8.5 enkei wheels with 225/60/15, and 245 in back... now i am running 245/35/18 in fronts on 8.5 and 285/30/19's on 10 inch in back..

Backspacing is the key..
285's won't fit on a '67 unless you roll the rear fenders. Like I said, 275's will fit, but backspacing has to be right on.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 12, 12:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwi67 View Post
Carl C has some good info on his page you might be interested in. Look for the heading "How to swallow 275/40/17 in all four corners"
http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/

keep in mind, you can use the same process to fit different rim, sidewall as long as the height and width of the tire are the same.
I have the SpeedTech UCA's and LCA's. You are looking at close to $1100 if you shop them well. Also, I believe Carl used the High Clearance UCA's which you aren't supposed to be able to buy without also buying their subframe for another $2200 bare, or $4700+ complete. It didn't sound like the OP was looking to spend that kind of money.

Even with the 245's up front I had to use the adjustable steering stops on the LCA's to limit steering so I wouldn't rub on hard corners or backing out of the driveway. With 275's up front you would lose even more turning radius, just to pick up a little more traction. I don't think it's a worthwhile trade off unless you are going to track or autoX the car. On a street driven car, it's just not practical.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 12, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dustin

Re: What are the biggest wheels for the front?

Thank you guys for the input, examples and pictures. Nice red ride by the way Joe. The stance is perfect. Thanks again everyone.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 12, 08:14 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Re: What are the biggest wheels for the front?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboz67rs View Post
Thank you guys for the input, examples and pictures. Nice red ride by the way Joe. The stance is perfect. Thanks again everyone.
Thank you and thanks for the PM on wheel size that I did not put in my post....that was a test

Rear is 15x8 4.5 inch back space and front is 15x7 4.25 inch back space.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode