Offset rims Moser posi - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 12, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Offset rims Moser posi

I bought a moser 12 bolt 4:11 posi my buddy had in his 98 ss camaro to go into my 68. I knew i would have to change the pads to leaf spring but it is also 4" in width longer than the stock 10 bolt. That would mean 2" difference on each side. Can i get offset wheels to compensate that? Thing is i would like to stick with 15" rims. Calipers clear the rims i have. I couldn't let that posi slip away for 500 bucks even if i couldn't use it. it also has the stock 98 ss disc brakes on it and he threw in a set of corvette zr1 rims and tires. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 12, 07:05 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Offset rims Moser posi

Just for reference, on the rear a 17x9.5 w/5.5" back spacing will keep the wheel and tire inside the wheel and under the best conditions no rubbing. If you add 2" of addition back spacing to make up for the longer housing you would need 7.5" of backspacing on a 9.5" wheel. You might find a 4th gen SS wheel 17x9 w/7" backspacing that would work.

As for the 15" wheels, I don't think the '98 SS disc's are going to fit, 17" yes, 16" maybe...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 12, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I doubt it. That would be 6.5" backspace on an 8" rim. 5.5" is the largest I've ever seen on an 8" rim. Then imagine what the fronts would look like since they'd have more lip than the rear unless you put skinnies on it. About the most "front space" you can have on a regular rear is about 4". With your two inches extra that knocks you down to 2" so you'd have to find something with width minus backspace equaling 2". Plenty of places will make custom rims but the fact that you'd never be able to run a decent size on the front without it looking bad would turn me off.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 12, 09:26 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I would have the housing shortened and the axles shortened and resplined. Or buy it and sell it to another 4th gen freak. No matter what you do, you got a good deal @ $500

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 12, 04:52 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Sell it and get a rear that fits

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 12, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Thats what im thinking too AL. I will clean it up nice and put some new paint on it. Se if i can find someone to take it off my hands and get the right Diff. It isn't worth the problems. Thanks guys.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 12, 08:02 AM
Senior Tech
Bobby

Chris,
If your into doing some body work you can add some bulges to the rear fenderwells like some of the SCCA Trans-am series cars for a wider trac in the rear.

That way you can keep the rear and have a racy look.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180į Headers

black/black
no radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode