Another wheel size/fit question.... - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 12, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Another wheel size/fit question....

I'm finally going to ditch my rally wheels and go for the VWW V45's (after reading just about every post on the topic and seeing tons of pics). My current stock rally's are 15x7 with what I measure to be about 4.5" backspacing (if I did that right). Current tire size is 215/65 R15 all around and my ride height is stock. I have factory disc brakes in front and drums in the rear. I wanted to ask a few questions and get opinions from you all.

1. If I'm happy with the current size of my wheels, am I missing out on any performance benefit of changing to a different size (currently have a 700R4 with 3:55's)?

2. If I want to swap to rear disc in the future is there a minimum backspace I need to get now so they will fit?

3. Should I be considering different size wheels for the front and rear?

4. Is there anything else I need to consider here?

5. Opinion? Will it look stupid seeing drum brakes through the wheel spokes in the rear?

It's a lot of money to spend, I really want to be sure I get it right. Any and all comments or and insight appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SB 406/700r4/3.55 posi/Hotchkis Stage 2 TVS/Delphi 600 Series PS Box/Holley Terminator EFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 12, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: Another wheel size/fit question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew68 View Post
I'm finally going to ditch my rally wheels and go for the VWW V45's (after reading just about every post on the topic and seeing tons of pics). My current stock rally's are 15x7 with what I measure to be about 4.5" backspacing (if I did that right). Current tire size is 215/65 R15 all around and my ride height is stock. I have factory disc brakes in front and drums in the rear. I wanted to ask a few questions and get opinions from you all.

1. If I'm happy with the current size of my wheels, am I missing out on any performance benefit of changing to a different size (currently have a 700R4 with 3:55's)?

2. If I want to swap to rear disc in the future is there a minimum backspace I need to get now so they will fit?

3. Should I be considering different size wheels for the front and rear?

4. Is there anything else I need to consider here?

5. Opinion? Will it look stupid seeing drum brakes through the wheel spokes in the rear?

It's a lot of money to spend, I really want to be sure I get it right. Any and all comments or and insight appreciated.
Wondering if my wheels aren't stock now? Was looking on CRG and I don't see a 15x7 stock wheel in 68. I also don't see any markings next to the valve, which the Rally's should have. There is a 10 M marked on the inside of the wheel.

Here are pics of the markings:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SB 406/700r4/3.55 posi/Hotchkis Stage 2 TVS/Delphi 600 Series PS Box/Holley Terminator EFI

Last edited by Andrew68; Jan 28th, 12 at 02:13 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 12, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

On my 68 vert I run TT-D's in 15x7 3.76BS front and rear with Wilwood disc brakes all the way around. Clearance is tight between rear calipers and inside of rim but it's okay. I'm running Hotchkis front and rear suspension plus 1" blocks in the rear. Front tires are 225/60 and rear are 245/60. Next time I'll go to 255 in rear just to help fill the wheel well more.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 12, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj68RS View Post
On my 68 vert I run TT-D's in 15x7 3.76BS front and rear with Wilwood disc brakes all the way around. Clearance is tight between rear calipers and inside of rim but it's okay. I'm running Hotchkis front and rear suspension plus 1" blocks in the rear. Front tires are 225/60 and rear are 245/60. Next time I'll go to 255 in rear just to help fill the wheel well more.

Looks really great Russ. Thanks for the reply! I will take it that 3.75 should be the minimum BS I work with then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode