Right wheel tucks in more than the left? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 12, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Dan

Right wheel tucks in more than the left?

Howdy fellow Camaro patriots,

I am finally finishing up my 69 Camaro resto-mod (finally). However I have a little issue with the back passenger side wheel. The car has been mini tubbed (DSE) and has a new prodigy rear set up with a new Moser rear end.

The back passenger wheel sits inside the quarter panel about a 1/2" more than the driver side? Is this normal? The rear end set up was basically a bolt in unit and the car never had any rear end collision or damage. The car was solid enough that it still was able to retain the factory 1/4 panels.

Just curious if any of you all have noticed anything like this on your rides???

I don't know much about wheel spaces but if I put a 1/2" spacer in to fix the issue will I need to run longer studs?

Thanks,[ATTACH]Attachment 26650[/ATTACH]

Last edited by 69camaro406; Aug 17th, 14 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 12, 07:29 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Right wheel tucks in more than the left?

I'd take the wheels off and measure from the perch to the rotor or drum face to make sure that's right.

It's possible that the rear is just shifted over. I don't know about anyone else but I always have a bear of a time getting the perches down on the leafs right....especially with the Moser as the perch sits right on the axle tube so you have almost no clearance between the axle tube and the locator hole in the perch, basically just the thickness of the perch. Usually takes leaving the shackles loose and using some mini pry bars and lots of cussing to make sure the pins are actually in the holes. You're really only off a quarter inch which is about within the realm of the rear sitting wrong....get the right side out a quarter inch and it pulls the left in a quarter inch so overall it would be centered.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 12, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Dan

Howdy Steiner,

The rear end is the prodigy bar 4 link setup with coil overs. So that's why I am really confused because it is a bolt in unit that connects to the rear frame rails. Plus I bought the whole rear as a kit direct from prodigy customs and the moser rearend was already narrowed and built for the prodigy bar....

I even purchased the wheels through Prodigy to make sure I had the correct offset and clearance. I'm just wondering if a wheel spacer would fix it.

Thanks, Dan

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 12, 07:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

Dan,
Nothing wrong with wheel spacers...I have them on lots of stuff. I use the billet ones from Jegs on my Camaro. Just use one on eeach side though....they can be stacked but need a thin piece of rubber between them in that scenario...still like a single better than 2 that are stacked.

I would consider installing longer wheel studs with the spacers, especially if the car is going to be driven hard.

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 12, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Dan

Ok good deal.
Thanks Michael.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 12, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Sorry Dan. Didn't know it was that new four link. Yeah, you can do what Michael stated and run a billet spacer with longer studs. You need at least as much stud sticking out as the diameter of your stud.

In the mean time I'd be measuring everything to see where that shift is coming from....frame rails to fenders, rear end position, etc. In looking at that rear it appears that if you left the lower arms alone and shortened the passenger side upper while lengthening the driver side upper it could be shifted over. Are there any instructions with it for centering?

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode