Tire rubbing on my 69 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 12, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
ENP
Senior Tech

Tire rubbing on my 69 Camaro

I am running 14x7 steel rims on my 69 Camaro.
Tire size is 225-70-14. I'm getting tire rub when I make sharp turns. Tires hitting the upper frame. Anyone have this problem with this size tire. I'm thinking about switching to 205 or 215. Would the tire swap cure it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 12, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech
Erick

Re: Tire rubbing on my 69 Camaro

curious that small tires like those would rub, do you have aftermarket wheels? if so, you might have the wrong offset. If they are original wheels, id look into a fatigued front suspension.

My car is a 69 z/28 with a 2" lowered coils, 15x8 4,5 backspace wheels, 26x10 tires and i can barelly get them to rub with the wheels turned going over a large bump, so you can see why i cannot comprehend a small tire like yours rubbing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 12, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
ENP
Senior Tech

I bought the car with the wheels on it. Car has disc brakes. I'll take a pic of the tire and area of the rubbing later this evening.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 12, 07:48 AM
Frank

I had a similar problem after I converted to Disc brakes. Realized the springs have compressed a little in 40 years. Put in spring expanders and that worked great.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 12, 08:34 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENP View Post
I am running 14x7 steel rims on my 69 Camaro.
Tire size is 225-70-14. I'm getting tire rub when I make sharp turns. Tires hitting the upper frame. Anyone have this problem with this size tire. I'm thinking about switching to 205 or 215. Would the tire swap cure it
The 225/70/14 tire is 26.5" tall with a 9" section width. It really depends on how bad the tire is rubbing now, the 215/70 is 25.9" tall and has a 8.7" section width and the 205/70 is 25.4" tall with an 8.2" section width.

The wheel backspacing (bs) plays a big part in all this, I know it's not as easy to justify a wheel change as it is a couple new tires but it's the better resolve. The width difference from the 225 to the 205 is 0.8" which only gives you an extra 0.4" of clearence on the inside, you only gain a .55" clearence height wise even though the tire is 1.1" shorter.

My point is the shorter narrower tire will lesson the rub but you don't know if it will eliminate it with the bs on your current wheels. The narrower tire will effect the cars handling in a negative way as well...

What do you know about your cars wheels?

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 7th, 12, 10:25 AM
Senior Tech
Dee

Did you get this issue resolved? What part of OK are you in?

1967 RS/SS350 Camaro (mostly stock)
1969 RS/SS Camaro (being improved!)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 5th, 14, 10:58 AM
Tech Team
Randy

i have 215/70/14 on my camaro and they have never rubbed. was gonna switch to 225/70/14, maybe not now. i have 14x7 rally rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode