69 SS center wheel caps - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 12, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question 69 SS center wheel caps

I found four original ss wheel caps recently and would like to install them. Can anyone explain how they install or provide a picture of how they go on? I thought it was simple but when I look at my wheels, and the caps, it seems like they will not go on. I have the inside mounting brackets. the car is a 69SS 396 convertible with disk front and drum rear. I believe the rims are 14x7 ralleye original.

I know this is probably really simple, however, i would like some input. Hopefully, the rims are correct for this application.

Many Thanks,

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 12, 10:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Question Re: 69 SS center wheel caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbydog View Post
... I believe the rims are 14x7 ralleye original.
These - Click image for larger version

Name:	SS wheel caps for Sprot Wheels.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	28359

Those aren't for "Ralleye" wheels

They fit the Sport Wheel option ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 12, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy Re: 69 SS center wheel caps

Thanks Vintage! those are the ones. How do I know what rims I have? They came on the car and I have restored the car over the past 8 years. I guess i assumed Ralleye, but can verify tonight if I know what i should be checking. Finally down to some last detail items like this one. Thanks for any help.

Doug

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 12, 12:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: 69 SS center wheel caps

Well, if the car was ordered (or fitted later) with the RPO-N66 "SS" wheels then those caps would fit them.
The wheels should be coded 'YA' for these 14x7 rims.
These wheels were offered on other lines of GM vehicles over the years in the same or slightly varied designs - and often referred to as 'Rally' styled wheels - so I can see why confusion can be easy ...
The cap itself installs from the outside, with the retainer going inside the wheel center from the back and the screws being used to fasten the assembly together.

The more common wheels installed on Disc brake equipped, and other models if/when available to order, and about the most common wheel to see on a 1st Gen today is the 'Rally' style.
They look like this when assembled with trim ring and center - Click image for larger version

Name:	Rally Wheels.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	28371
(note: this wheel assembly shows the 68~69 center cap - the 67 models used a different cap)

The blank wheels look like this without the trim installed - Click image for larger version

Name:	Rally Wheel set.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	28372

ps: I have seen guys use the "SS" cap center decals (available from most the 'repoppers') shown below on the common Camaro 'Rally" wheel cap centers - may look but GM didn't do it

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GM SS wheel cap inserts.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	28373  

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 12, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Many Many thanks for the detailed response Vintage!

I will try to get a picture tonight and some more information and post tomorrow and maybe we can get this to work. my wheels look like those in the second picture, however, i need to look at them more carefully now.

Again, Thank you.

Doug
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 12, 01:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: 69 SS center wheel caps

Doug, this is what the wheels look like that take the caps that John showed in his first reply:

As John mentioned, there were similar versions of this wheel offered by almost ALL of the domestic manufacturers back in the 60's. I have also seen them referred to as the "Magnum 500 Wheel", originally manufactured by many of the OEM's by Motor Wheels of Detroit.

http://www.amx-perience.com/amxenter...index&cPath=65

1967 RS/SS 350 Conv - triple black, 4sp, tach & gauges

1969 VN-built RS/SS 396 Conv - Garnet Red/Black, 4-sp, tach & gauges
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 9th, 12, 01:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: 69 SS center wheel caps

It sounds as if you're speaking of the standard equipment-no option RS/SS caps. They're 'dog dish'. I didn't upgrade wheels when I ordered my car because mags were planed. The caps were used to feed the dog before they went in the garbage. You have upscaled stuff. Enjoy. Don't forget follow up pictures.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 12, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Lightbulb Re: 69 SS center wheel caps

I finally figured out how to post an image. I think/hope! here are the rims I currently have on the car. They are dirty and need cleaning. What do I have and what should the center caps look like??
I have more pics if you need them.

Thanks

Doug

Last edited by shelbydog; May 14th, 12 at 11:06 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 12, 10:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Those are the GM/Chevrolet "Rally" style rims.
They take the common 'Derby' or other 'Rally' style caps sold by all the repoppers in their catalogs and or on-line.

If you refer to the single 'Rally' wheel photo above you can see the 'Derby' cap.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 12, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Vinatage! fast reply. Should I keep/use these rims or is there a reason to change. I attached a pic of the car, yet unfinished, however i am slowly getting there............

Regards,

Doug

Last edited by shelbydog; Jul 17th, 12 at 05:29 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 12, 11:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: 69 SS center wheel caps

I would keep them, if for nothing else but 'roller' qualities, until a type/set come along you really like better or think you want to match a 'look' you're happier with.

As you get closer to finish - and set your tire needs and stance - you can re-visit your rim/tire choice.

As always JMHO's

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 14th, 12, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Vintage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode