getting wheels, please help me pick the correct one - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 12, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

getting wheels, please help me pick the correct one

hey guys, im going to be buying wheels for my 69' soon, and after reading multiple posts on the forum, im even more confused.

im looking at the billet specialties street lite wheels, 15" for my car.

my car has a stock rear end, and no tubs. Im thinking of getting a 15x4 for the front, and i would like to get a 15x10 in the back, but will it fit? I want to get the widest wheel possible, because if i ever mini tub in the future, i will be prepared.

so here are my questions:

1. will a 15x10 wheel fit on the back of a stock non mini tub car? if so, what backspace will it need to not rub with 275/60/15 tires?

2. what backspacing does the rear need to be with a 15x8 wheel?

3. what backspacing for the front with a 15x4 wheel?

the car isnt going to be a daily driver, there will be no back seat, so no passengers, but a fuel cell in the trunk, im not worried about rubbing every once in a while, unless it is excessive

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 12, 04:25 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Re: getting wheels, please help me pick the correct one

Measure the space from the inner fender where the wheel is and the inside lip of the quarter and that will give the space where the tire will fit.Then measure the tread width of the tire you want, the tire rack has these specs. I would go with a 17" wheel, 8.5 to 9.5 and a 275-40 or a 255-45 BFG G Force comp 2. I just went through this with one of my vehicles. . . . good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 12, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

I have not had a chance to measure anything. But I would like to stick with a 15" wheel

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 12, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

ok, I took the car outside today and took a look, the car has a 15x8" rim on it now with 255/60/15 tires, I have plenty of clearance before i hit the quarter lip, but the shock has around 1" or less clearance.

i absolutely hate the look when the tire sticks out passed the quarter panel.

I found this car on another forum, but i like the look:

the owner of the car said the following:" I could only go to a 28 but I mini tubbed it and cut 1/2 " out of the wheel wells to fit a 315-60-15"

now i understand that i cant get exactly that with stock tubs, but I would like to get as close to that as possible.

I just need to know if a 10" wheel would fit on the back of a stock camaro without sticking out, and what backspacing i would need. if a 10" wont fit, would a 9" fit?

if i could just get a list of what backspacing i would need with a 15x8, 15x9, and 15x10 wheel that would be perfect

Last edited by victimizati0n; Jun 16th, 12 at 09:18 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 12, 01:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbuckcity

My advice is to stay with the 14x7" GM Ralley Wheels, rings, and tall derby caps, which I hae on my 69 Camaro convertible, with 215/70 14 Riewa. On my 68 Camaro Coupe I have 215/70 15" GM Ralley Wheels, rings and tall derby caps and the tires are 215/70 R 15,

DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS111111
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 12, 01:39 PM
Banned
Biff

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimizati0n View Post
I just need to know if a 10" wheel would fit on the back of a stock camaro without sticking out, and what backspacing i would need. if a 10" wont fit, would a 9" fit?

if i could just get a list of what backspacing i would need with a 15x8, 15x9, and 15x10 wheel that would be perfect

Everything I've seen says a 10" won't fit. 9.5" wide will fit with the right backspacing, I think 5.5 ". If you search this forum for 17 X 9.5 wheels, I'm fairly sure the backspace is 5.5 to 5.75.

Does anyone make a 15 X 9.5 ? I've only seen 15 X 8. And 4.5" backspace works with the 15 X 8.

A 275/60/15 tire is the biggest you can run, but I would stick with the 255 size; that should never rub.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 12, 04:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

You would have to widen the inners to fit a 15x9 and move shocks inbound. The biggest you could go is a 275-60 without rubbing lips. You could also use a MT 26x12x 15 but that's to short of a tire. In order to run a 10" rim you would have to narrow rear by an inch and possibly move leafs in. I did all this without narrowing rear and moving springs just to get a 275 inside the lip. If I did it again I'd go with the real deal mini tub with a 29" tall tire
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 12, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

For example, my 69 has a 275/60/15 on a 10" wheel but I have a 2" mini tub, shocks moved inside, quarter lip is trimed just a tad, and the rear narrowed 2". I have about 1.5" clearance to tubs. You would hit the tubs and shocks with a 10" wheel setting inside the quarter!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 12, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

thanks for the advise, what backspacing would i need for a 8" wheel?

i would like the deepest wheel i can go with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode