1st Generation Space Saver Spare - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 12, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbuckcity
1st Generation Space Saver Spare

Can any one tell me where to find a SPACE SAVER SPARE, to replace the large spare that takes up so much space. What vehicles would you suggest such as in a Salvage Yard to check out!!!! I have a 68 Camaro Coupe and also a 69 Camaro Convertible, and would like to put the space saver spare in both vehicles. Know it will have to be a 5 lug 4 3/4 spacing, but have no idea about the back spacing..... Of course would like to find like new space savers, has any one searched for this type spare, and what kind of vehicle will interchange................Thanks, Max in Las Vegas, NV Gold Lifetime Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 12, 04:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl
Re: 1st Generation Space Saver Spare

looking for 14" or 15" ?

Rick
67 RS/SS 355, Autogear M21 (w/Overdrive), 8.5w/3.42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 12, 10:47 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I currently have a 14, but would like a 15.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 12, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Need both, the 14" for the 69 Convertible and a 15" for the 68 Camaro Coupe.......Mahunt you say you currently have a 14", but would like a 15"!! Even the 14"space saver, do you remember what model Car you got that from, and also do I need to be concerned with the back spacing, that will prevent me from tightening the lug nut's......A Discount Tire Manager suggested finding one from a Chevy S-10 pickup??

Not really anxious to go walking the Salvage Yards, checking wheel bolt spacing, Summer has arrived in Las Vegas, NV and it is HOT HOT HOT.... Trivia, but there is a new Car orientated show coming out in August 2012 on the History Channel, as of now it will be called 'LAS VEGAS MUSCLE CARS', History Channel is filming Vehicles from around Las Vegas, and they have filmed my 68 Camaro Coupe, which is Blue with White Stripes, and interviewed me for 35 minutes, I am really pleased with that being 71 years old, do not belong to any Car Club, and a City as big as Las Vegas. Belive they are also going to film my 69 Camaro Convertible which is Hugger Orange with White Stripes and White Interior. If you watch Pawn Stars, the Pawn Shop is approximately 4 miles from my house..American Restoration featuring Rick Dale is close also......... Thanks, Max
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 12, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech

I've had a ss for years...it's the only way to go as it frees up so much space in that little trunk.

Got a lead on one, but it might be on the pricey side? Will check for ya.

capt

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 12, 08:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuckcity View Post
Need both, the 14" for the 69 Convertible and a 15" for the 68 Camaro Coupe.......Mahunt you say you currently have a 14", but would like a 15"!! Even the 14"space saver, do you remember what model Car you got that from, and also do I need to be concerned with the back spacing, that will prevent me from tightening the lug nut's......A Discount Tire Manager suggested finding one from a Chevy S-10 pickup??

Not really anxious to go walking the Salvage Yards, checking wheel bolt spacing, Summer has arrived in Las Vegas, NV and it is HOT HOT HOT.... Trivia, but there is a new Car orientated show coming out in August 2012 on the History Channel, as of now it will be called 'LAS VEGAS MUSCLE CARS', History Channel is filming Vehicles from around Las Vegas, and they have filmed my 68 Camaro Coupe, which is Blue with White Stripes, and interviewed me for 35 minutes, I am really pleased with that being 71 years old, do not belong to any Car Club, and a City as big as Las Vegas. Belive they are also going to film my 69 Camaro Convertible which is Hugger Orange with White Stripes and White Interior. If you watch Pawn Stars, the Pawn Shop is approximately 4 miles from my house..American Restoration featuring Rick Dale is close also......... Thanks, Max
I'd bet this young man has no clue what the 1969 Space Saver spare looks like... That S-10 is going to have a "donut" not a space saver.

Jeff
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 12, 04:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I have a 15" i'm thinking about selling

Rick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 12, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Rick,

I'd be interested, please PM me with the details.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 12, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Max,

You need to be concerned with everything about your rims. I don't think "modern" space saver tires are the same as the originals, so yanking one off an S-10 might not work (even though it's RWD).

As for my current 14", I got it so long ago, I don't know if I pulled it out of a trunk or off the shelf at a junkyard. My convertible has a 15", but I definitely remember where I got that fine setup; an early 80's rear wheel drive Caddy. They were the only cars that I knew of that had that size space saver that didn't have the funky FWD offset. Other rear wheel drive full sized GM cars MAY have had the 15" space option, but I checked a bunch and didn't find any.

My '67 coupe (with the 14" space saver) currently has 15" ralley rims with JL-8 front brakes and drum rears (stops much better than the original 4 wheel drum setup). The only problem is if I get a flat on the front, the spare won't clear the JL-8 brakes. I need a 15" space saver so it can be used on all 4 corners.

The space saver spare makes the Camaro's trunk so much more usable.

Every so often I inflate the space savers just to see them do their thing. Definitely a simple "old school" marvel of engineering.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 12, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Mahun;t, Thanks I thought that was very nice of you to go into detail about the space saver....Here in Las Vegas, NV there are many Auto Salvage Yards called 'PIK A PART', hardly any older vehicles what so ever, although they do have quite a few older Caddilacs, although I have not checked to see if any are rear wheel crive, several Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Pontiacs, etc......So I will head to the Salvage Yard tomorrow to see if I can find the space saver wheels, looking for both the 14" and the 15" Also some time back while going thru Car Trunks at Pik A Part, I found a very good condition Red Canister, that fills the space saver, did not at the time think of looking for the mounting bracket, if any one has an extra let me know....... The Label is nice and readable, which states the Canister is refillable,,,,,Does anyone still refill these bottles!

Found a Fellow here in Las Vegas, NV who can repair broken steering wheels, consoldes, etc. On my 69 Camaro Convertible, the steering wheel cracked in three different places, he came to my shop yesterday, June 14th, and took the Steering Wheel off, took it to his ship, repaired it and came back today and reinstalled it. Very quality work, and very fair priced.....Any one needing his services, contact me by Private message, and I will hook the two of you up.............I am a Disabled Vietnam Combat Army Veteran, 71 years old, have Multiple Sclerosis, diabetes, etc and not in good health, if I did not have my Camaro's to work on, etc I would probably be in a nursing home or what ever,,,,Point being, If you enjoy doing what ever, do it, don't wait until some terrible disease attacks, and you can no longer do what you love..................Thenks, Max in Las Vegas
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 12, 09:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahunt View Post
Rick,

I'd be interested, please PM me with the details.

I'll get specs & pics tomorrow

Rick

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 12, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Camaro 67, let me know what you want for the 15" space saver, PA is along way from Las Vegas, NV, would be interesting what the shipping would be, I am interested and need to buy a 15" space saver ASAP. Would pay with Pay Pal...........Thanks, Max in Las Vegas
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 12, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Today Saturday June 16th, I went to the local Pik A Part to the Cadillac Section, found per the tail light lens a 79 Cadillac and it had the space saver in the trunk, turned out it was a front wheel drive Caddy, and the bolt pattern was different,,,,Also found a few other space savers in the Caddy section, all of them were 16" space savers,,,,,,Point being I was not successful finding the 14' or 15", so have no choice but to keep looking...................

Max in Las Vegas, NV
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 12, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

I bought one off of ebay cheap, but for looks.

I inflated, and even though it holds air, it has cracks all around the expansion fold.
Rubber deteriorates over time, there is no way I would put 40 year old rubber on my car regardless how it looks. A potential sudden blowout just isn't worth it.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 12, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

How old is the full size spare in your car now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode