Wheel Offset/Backspacing Question - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 12, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Nick

Wheel Offset/Backspacing Question

I was wondering if I could get some advice about the backspacing of my wheels.

I have talked to the company that I am ordering them from and just want to double check for sanity the measurements I made.

If you look at the attachment I have included the measurements I sent to the company.

I was told I need to order a 3.75 inch backspacing on the 18 x 10's that I am putting on the rear. I plan on running 295 / 35 / 18 rears.

Does this sound right?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Brake Clearance.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	29142  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 12, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech
robert

Re: Wheel Offset/Backspacing Question

To me that BS seems a little short for the rear, maybe for the front on a stock clip. I'm putting 18x10 on my car 68 camaro and I have a 6.125" for BS. And your well numbers are bigger then what I have. The factors for BS are well size and rear end width. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 12, 06:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

That does not sound right to me.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 12, 06:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Define fit. The short answer to your question, providing your car is basically stock, is that these wheels will fit on the rear of your car providing you raise the rear up extra high to clear the tires so they never rub on the quarters (like we did in the 70s). The results will be they will extend out from under the quarter panel and look kind of funky (in my opinion).

What year model of Camaro? Is your rear end the standard length? Has your car been tubbed? These questions need to be answered to best advise your best fit.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 12, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Nick

Sorry I guess that info would have helped.

The rears have been mini-tubed and I have the following rear axle. I am going with a 295 vice a 12 inch wheel and 335's however I have the clearance for that.

By fit I am looking for a large lip on the wheel and an even tuck under the inner fender.

Rearend:
Fab 9 G Link Ready Bolt In rear housing, Backbraced, Narrow
to 50" housing end to housing end, 55" Overall axle flange to
axle flange, Big Ford Torino Ends, Zero Pinion Offset, 31
spline axles for True Track differential, 5 X 4 3/4 pattern, 1/2 X
2" studs.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 12, 08:37 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Doing the math you'll have 3.5" inside clearence between the inner fender and outer lip of the rim of the wheel. A 10" wheel is measured from the inner edge of the lip of the rim where the tire mounts meaning a 10" wheel is closer to 11" wide. Subtract the 3.5" from the 15" of space you have as shown in the drawing leaves you 11.5" so yes the wheel itself will clear the outer fender lip by 1/2".

Now mounting a 295/35 on a 10.5" wheel has an advertised 11.9" section width which doesn't include RWL or other writing in the sidewall and the tire will be pressing tight against the fender lip if tucked inside the fender. I understand 2/10" can be subtracted from the 11.9" section width because the rim is 10" not 10.5" but those measurments are taken without the load of the car on the tire and the result will be the same, the tire will be against the fender lip.

What's the aversion to backspacing? With your mini tub you have more than 3" of inner fender clearence if the shocks and springs are not in the way. Run a 5 or 5.5" back space had have lots of room all around...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 12, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Nick

That is why I am asking.

I am looking for the correct backspacing/offset to have my tire able to tuck into the inner lip of the outer rear fender. Additionally I wanted as deep of an offset on the wheel that I could have with it still looking correct. I have a 4 link rear end so I will be lowering the car and was concerned about the tire rubing.

So I am not averse to any backspacing I just dont know what I need. I am asking because it did not sound correct to me either. 5 - 5.5 seems more likely to me as well but I have never set up the rear end of a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode