Just curbed by Polished Aluminum Wheel/Can it be repaired, how much $? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 12, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thumbs down Just curbed by Polished Aluminum Wheel/Can it be repaired, how much $?

I was pulling into a spot alongside a curb.

I asked my buddy to look out and see how much room I had.

He said " atleast a full foot " ... well I turned the wheel just a little bit and RUUUUUUUB.

I probably had 4" ... thats what I get for trusting someone.

The wheels are polished with clear coating done by HRE.

It doesnt feel super deep but looks like CRAP. Looks like I mainly just tore up the clear coat with a little bit of scratching a couple inches long.

In order to touch it up myself, what can I do? Should I just try to polish it, or should I take fine grit sand paper before I do it (or will that make things worse taking off the entire clear coat on that section?)

Can they usually refinish a wheel? I guess they strip the clear coat, polish/sand up the blemished area, then re-clear coat?

How much does that usually cost?

Do you have to take off the rim and send it somewhere , or is this something they can do in a day? I dont have a spare to put on.

These wheels are discontinued too

Thanks ---

90' ZR-1 Lingenfelter Corvette #699
91' SYCLONE #512
01' VIPER GTS
03' Harley Edition f-150 #577

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 12, 04:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Re: Just curbed by Polished Aluminum Wheel/Can it be repaired, how muc

HRE will refinish them for a decent price. For what they charge for wheels they should. You'll have to dismount the tire and send it to them though.

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 12, 06:37 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I would have HRE do it, you chances of a match and the best repair possible comes from them. If your intent on doing it your self it's my opinion they may never look correct and I would just live with the blemish, I would also caution against a any local wheel repair places. Unless you can see and get recommendations most of these places are repairing/refinishing OEM wheels for the masses and are more like collision repair centers for wheels. Some can do excellent work but others don't.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 12, 06:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

I found an old email I had to them when I was looking at picking up some used wheels:

$100 per wheel to disassemble, reseal, and reassemble
$100 per wheel to powder coat faces
$75 per wheel to polish lip
$75 per wheel to clear coat lips

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 12, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I would try to touch it up first. Do a search on repairing wheel clearcoat, lots of info. What do you have to lose?

If they don't turn out up to your standards, then send it out.

Mike

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 12, 07:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

My daughter has black rims on her 2011 camaro and always hits curbs. I use a scotchbrite wheel on a small 90 degree air grinder and smooth the aluminum back down. Then use the black touch up paint over the bad spot. Shes happy and then Im happy.

I would take some tape and mask off the rim so you dont scratch the rim. Then polish the spot back out. You will have to use a file or something to get the scratches out. Then sandpaper, then polish. You might try the clear they sell for touchup in the bottle with the brush.

If your not happy then you will have to send it off for repair and have the whole wheel stripped of powder coat and repowdercoat.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

Last edited by prostreet69camaro; Jul 6th, 12 at 02:59 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 12, 08:02 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I don't know where you live but there are local wheel shops here that specialize in restoring old and fixing damaged wheels. Here's and example of some wheels I had restored;
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...light=american

I scuffed a curb in the Camaro right after putting the Budniks on it (we all have our stupid moments) and the same shop fixed the scrapped rim of my wheel for $50 and it looked like new. My wheels are not clear coated but I'm sure they could deal with it if they were.

My point, start looking/asking around locally, the savings on shipping alone could pay for most of the repair...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 12, 09:29 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

My opinion on this is these are HRE wheels....not cheap at all and the prices they get to repair are cheap in comparison to having it done and not working out. You just end up paying more after it's all said and done. I say pay little more and have the factory fix them and then watch what the hell your doing next time...LOL!!.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 12, 06:07 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

Can you post a picture of the damage, kind of hard to offer advice without knowing what you're dealing with.

Smoothing and polishing aluminum is not rocket science, the only real challenge will be the clear. Are they clear powder coated or clear painted?

Only you know your abilities and if you are not comfortable attempting the repair, then take it to a pro. I would also ckeck around your local area, why ship the rim out for something that is a basic repair.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 12, 03:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

try these two sites.
ive used wheels america before when they used to have a shop on long island bent one of my rims and for then (around 1999) it cost $109 and 24hrs later it was finished

http://wheelsamerica.com/Index.php

here is a mobile service

http://fixrim.com/

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode