what is the correct tire PSI - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 12, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

what is the correct tire PSI

I am running modern 17" wheels with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires. Sidewall says Max PSI 50 for the fronts and Max PSI 51 for the rears.

I assume then I should inflate them to the max psi rating (cold) - correct?

Just seems really high but I have no experience with this kind of tire.

Thanks

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 12, 08:40 AM
Banned
Rob

Re: what is the correct tire PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_randyb View Post
I am running modern 17" wheels with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires. Sidewall says Max PSI 50 for the fronts and Max PSI 51 for the rears.

I assume then I should inflate them to the max psi rating (cold) - correct?

Just seems really high but I have no experience with this kind of tire.

Thanks

Randy
I believe the max pressure is used for full weight loading of the tires.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 12, 08:56 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

No don't inflate them to the max psi! The only time you might do that is if you were hauling bricks in the trunk and sand bags in the back seat. Cars come from the factory with a factory recomendation based on the wheels and tires it came with new. I'm only mentioning this because if you go look at your wifes daily driver you might see a factory recomendation of 32-35psi when the sidewall says 45psi max...

With custom wheels and tires you are kinda on your own to decide where you get the combination of best ride, best handling, best tire wear and best gas mileage. Having more psi will give you better gas mileage but will reduce handling and ride quality. Too low of psi will cause faster tire wear and even tire damage.

I'd start with 35psi cold on all 4 and adjust from there based on your driving habits and the cars handling. You could call a trusted wheel and tire shop and ask them what they fill customers tires with your sam spec's too as well...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 12, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

Very helpful guys thanks. I did some more reading learned that the road course guys actually bump pressure up past MAX PSI because they can get better handling. They of course are not concerned about comfort or wear.

I know they were set too low by the tire shop that mounted them, now I just need to find the right balance knowing that 50 psi is the upper bounds and 32 felt pretty squishy and I believe induced a higher speed out-of-balance kind of bounce.

50 PSI felt really good BTW going down the highway and in town driving but I think I am going to lower to 40 and see how that feels.

Randy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 12, 11:18 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Just keep in mind too high of psi will cause the center of the tire to wear more and too low psi will cause the outsides of the tire to wear more. Set your pressure and pay attention to the tread.

Racers are not worrying about tire wear and should be using tire pressure as another tool to dial in the cars handling, the harder the tire is the sooner it will break traction so if the back end is coming around you lower pressure in the rear and raise the pressure in the front. Just the opposite if the front is pushing or plowing...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 12, 12:19 PM
peter

When I up grade I like to keep the balance of the original, for example if the original was 25 c front & 30 c rear(or whatever) I keep that percentage spread.

On one of my older sports cars it was a 6lb spread on originals 14 x 70 x205 when I went to 17x35's I kept the same difference but at a higher pressure & the balance was great. The tire shop put them all the same & the car was a mess of understeer.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 12, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

wow good information all, I really appreciate this help. I was worried I was asking a simple question but it seems there is a lot of depth to this subject.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 12, 02:49 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

When put new tyres on I watch the little rubber bits wear...
I start at about 33/34 lbs...if the center ones wear off a bit faster..couple lbs less, and visa versa for the outside bits.
Each batch of tyres are slightly different....and even the front and rear tyres have different weights/stresses on them.
Generally about 32 to 35 range and a couple lbs more in the front.
Alway use the same pressure gauge, doent need to be accruate as one is using compaital readings.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 12, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
Bobby

You can use a fat piece of chalk and make a line across the tread, take a short drive and observe the chalk. If the line disappears in the center: over inflated. If it disappears near the sides: under inflated. You want the line to disappear all together but, also make sure you are not driving too long to wear the line away.

I did this on my Jeep with over sized tires.

It's the same concept as Steps mentioned but, more for tires that aren't new.

67 Camaro 350
M20 4spd console,
8.5, 30 spline Eaton posi 373
Cowl Plenum
Custom 180 Headers

black/black
no radio
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 12, 05:51 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I've been getting a good wear pattern with 35 lb cold all the way around on 235/45ZR17 and 275/40ZR17. At 40 lbs cold with the weight of a Camaro you'll wear the middle of the tire out.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 12, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
You can use a fat piece of chalk and make a line across the tread,
Damn , dont you just hate it when someone comes up with a real clean easy way to do it lol
Talking to the gus down the alignment shop this morning...just after posting....they suggested a tyre crayon...well any marker.. then now read the chalk lol

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 12, 08:17 PM
Senior Tech

35.. you can run 45-50 psi if you go road racing or autocrossing and the car likes it better..

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode