Summit or Jegs Rally wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 12, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Summit or Jegs Rally wheels

Looking for a set of silver 15 x 7 Rally wheels for a driver. They don't need to be factory "correct". I see both Summit and Jegs have them at reasonable pricing. Anyone running these?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-55-5761/

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...arentProductId=

The Jegs have a dual bolt pattern and are powder coated, the Summit wheels are painted

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 12, 05:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: Summit or Jegs Rally wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom P View Post
Looking for a set of silver 15 x 7 Rally wheels for a driver. They don't need to be factory "correct". I see both Summit and Jegs have them at reasonable pricing. Anyone running these?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-55-5761/

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...arentProductId=

The Jegs have a dual bolt pattern and are powder coated, the Summit wheels are painted
Tom,
This is a general comment and may or may not apply to what Summit/Jegs are selling. One of the things I don't like about some of the repro rims is that the center hole is often larger than the hub on the vehicle.
I'm not sure if this is the case on all repro rims, but if some were available out there that matched the hub size, ..those are the ones I'd choose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 12, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Kevin - The Summit wheels state they are not hub centric. The more expensive wheel vintiques are not either.

I've never really thought hub centric wheels were critical on our cars?

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros

Last edited by Tom P; Oct 2nd, 12 at 08:19 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 12, 08:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Summit or Jegs Rally wheels

These vehicles were designed by GM to be 'Hub Centric' in supporting the wheel.
You risk having the wheel mounted slightly off-center, but that is not as big an issue on most cars as the lug strength is.
Use of just the lugs to support and center the wheel puts lots of extra load on the lugs they were not designed to take.
It is very common to find vehicles with non-hub-centric wheel systems with broken of missing studs/lugs. I see this all the time at local car shows

This is not to say that use of those wheels AND the proper hub-center adapter would be more or less strong as a GM sourced wheel.
Or, you could consider upgrading the factory studs to a larger and/or stronger aftermarket sourced system to give you piece of mind non-hub-centric wheels will stay where you put them ...

Oh, when I was looking at some 'Returns' they had for sale at the Reno store a few weeks back I did notice the "Made in China" stickers on the back of the rim
The 'name' rims in the rack didn't have those ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 12, 10:00 AM
Tech Team
Lou

I recently purchased a set of 15x7 Rally Wheels from Ground Up. They are really nice, powder coated, but are lug-centric. Where can you get the hub center adapter that you mentioned?

Thanks
Lou
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 12, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Good information, thanks John, I would likely go with hub centric adapters to keep them centered. At those prices it doesn't surprise me they are made in China

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 12, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lous 68 View Post
I recently purchased a set of 15x7 Rally Wheels from Ground Up. They are really nice, powder coated, but are lug-centric. Where can you get the hub center adapter that you mentioned?

Thanks
Lou
I've purchased centering rings for my BMW at justforwheels.com

https://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?cat=hubcentric

John, do you know the stock/factory hub diameter?

Last edited by Tom P; Oct 2nd, 12 at 11:36 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 12, 01:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: Summit or Jegs Rally wheels

IIRC it is @ 2.750" for the hub and @ 2.770" for the wheel center opening - or close to that for most of the 4.750X5 lug smaller GM car wheels ...
I know it did vary by wheel type and application.
I think you will commonly find it listed in wheel charts as 2.768"/70.3mm

Full size/BOP and light truck have a larger center hole.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 12, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Thanks to John's Recon at the Return isle in Reno...

going with the made in the USA Wheel Vintique Silver Rally wheels. Less than $20 more per wheel than the China stuff

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 12:59 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Guess I'm gonna have to invest in some hubcentric rings. My Wheel Vintique center hole measures 3 3/16" (will have to re-measure in mm). As John mentioned, the hub measures 2 3/4 ". So, are you sure 70.3 mm is correct for the inner diameter ? They also offer 70.1 mm. Any measuring device I have in metric ain't gonna be precise enough to distinguish .2 mm.....

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

this would be a good time to invest in those digital calipers you've always wanted

I emailed Wheel Vintique and they claim the center bore diameter is 3-1/4". That would convert to 82.55mm.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 03:55 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

A standard caliper doesn't work on the wheel as the slide bar hits the outer rim. I just re-measured a WV center hole using a telescoping gauge, then measuring the gauge with a caliper. Come up with 3.193. It looks to me like the hole is cut with a bevel in it. Not sure if that's the way it was intended so as not to hang up on the hub when removing, or if it's a screw up in the manufacturing. Will need to convert that measurement to metric, but believe I'd try to find a hubcentric ring to match 3.193....

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

3.193" is 81.10mm. Can't find an off the shelf hub centric ring that is 81.10mm center bore and 70.3mm hub....

closest I found was 82mm centerbore http://www.jegs.com/i/Detroit-Wheels...rentProductId=

found a few companies that will whip up a custom set but not cheap.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 05:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom P View Post
Kevin - The Summit wheels state they are not hub centric. The more expensive wheel vintiques are not either.

I've never really thought hub centric wheels were critical on our cars?
There's obviously a lot of repro rims out there, so it's probably not a 'big' issue, ...but as the replies here attest, it's definitely something to keep in mind. I was lucky enough to find a good set of used GM rims. I purposely avoided the repro rims for this reason. Sure I have to glassbead, primer and paint them (or powdercoat) which is an added expense, but I feel a whole lot better knowing the center of the rim is set.
I am sure with the USA made rims and adapters you should be just fine...

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 12, 09:00 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

I've got FW's (GM) up front, but wanted an 8" wide, 4.5" backspace wheel for the rear. No such thing from GM.

Thanks for your help Tom. This is all new to me, so will need to do my homework. Not sure how tight of tolerances are recommended ? From John's figures for example, the hub is 2.75, but the GM wheel hole is 2.77". Does a person want the same .02 tolerance for the outside dia. of the hubcentric ring also ?

Hope that makes sense....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode