Tire dilemma......Seeking opinions/suggestions! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 12, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr.Ron

Tire dilemma......Seeking opinions/suggestions!

I want to get new wheels for my 67. It currently has 16x6 & 16x9.5 Centerline drags... I want to get Torque thrust 2 chrome wheels. Here's the dilema.

The BFG tires only go up to 15" diameter, so essentially I'd be letting tires dictate what wheels i get!I sort of want to get the BFG Radials so I can have the white lettering, and my car is lowered approx. 2". I would want the 275 60 15's but the tire is 28" tall. I only have 28" measured from the ground up to the middle of the arc of the outer wheel well edge. Would getting a 5.5" backspace solve this? Would getting the 255 60 15 tire solve this, as it is 27.1" tall. Would that too require the larger back space?

I was going to get a 10" wide wheel but would have to get custom backspacing (+$110/rear wheel), not tragic. But would the 5.5"backspacing allow me to have the 28"tall 275 tire with 28" height to my wheel well outer edge, and would the tire tuck in then and not rub?

If I don't get the BFG I can get a larger diameter wheel/tire combo (ie:17"). Seems like the white lettering on the tires is limited to the BFG's. What happens when/if THESE tires stop being produced this way?

Looking for opinions/suggestions please!

Thanks!

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 12, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Re: Tire dilemma......Seeking opinions/suggestions!

Jake-"well I guess your all up S&%# creek" sorry thinking Blues Brothers when I started typing, I just bought some Firestones in a 235/60/15 - bought 5 as I doubt when I need that i could get another one. really sad Goodyear used to make the Gatorback in 15" sizes that was speed rated - handled great! (no RWL) but were driving dinosaurs so to speak - Year one is doing good IMO by making stock looking 17's for muscle cars I like RWL but I like good handling tires better

69 R/S Z/28 302 X33 D80 late 09C
69 T/A clonification LS6-6speed under construction
15 ZL1
64 Chevelle wagon 6.0l planned sons toy
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 12, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr.Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1969 View Post
Jake-"well I guess your all up S&%# creek" sorry thinking Blues Brothers when I started typing, I just bought some Firestones in a 235/60/15 - bought 5 as I doubt when I need that i could get another one. really sad Goodyear used to make the Gatorback in 15" sizes that was speed rated - handled great! (no RWL) but were driving dinosaurs so to speak - Year one is doing good IMO by making stock looking 17's for muscle cars I like RWL but I like good handling tires better
I know, but this car won't be driven for it's performance. I have a 2009 Z06 for that! lol
I just was interested in keeping it nostalgic looking...I think.

Last edited by Dr.Ron; Oct 17th, 12 at 01:21 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 12, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr.Ron

Really? Only 1 response?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 12, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Since there is already a 9.5" wide wheel/tire on the rear axle, use this set-up as a guide.
Look between the inside sidewall-to-shock clearance, this clearance will tell you what b/space you can and cannot fit.
If the present combo is 5.5 b/spacing and tire has a sidewall bulge, and there is a finger width of clearance, then the combo is at it's limit.

JMT's

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 12, 04:14 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Measuring from ground to fender gives the wrong measurement. It will change depending on installed tires and wheels. Measure from center of hub to fender. 28" is a bigazz wheel though.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 12, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

What is your ojective to having such a large tire on the rear? I have 15 x 8 Vette wheels with 245-60's on the rear and 225-60's on the front. The car looks great and I get a lot of comments on the stance. . . .not to large and not to small with a 8' wheel, especially if you want an old school look. Coker tire is now making the RWL BFG's so they will be around for us RWL guys. I think Cooper still has a RWL tire.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 12, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr.Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Since there is already a 9.5" wide wheel/tire on the rear axle, use this set-up as a guide.
Look between the inside sidewall-to-shock clearance, this clearance will tell you what b/space you can and cannot fit.
If the present combo is 5.5 b/spacing and tire has a sidewall bulge, and there is a finger width of clearance, then the combo is at it's limit.

I will check. I think i had another 1" on the inside. It currently has 5" backspace.

JMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Measuring from ground to fender gives the wrong measurement. It will change depending on installed tires and wheels. Measure from center of hub to fender. 28" is a bigazz wheel though.
I will do that as well. That will give me the "frontspace" then, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
What is your ojective to having such a large tire on the rear? I have 15 x 8 Vette wheels with 245-60's on the rear and 225-60's on the front. The car looks great and I get a lot of comments on the stance. . . .not to large and not to small with a 8' wheel, especially if you want an old school look. Coker tire is now making the RWL BFG's so they will be around for us RWL guys. I think Cooper still has a RWL tire.
I saw a car at a show with that but his car was not lowered at all and he still had 2-3 fingers clearance above the tire. He has the BFG's on a 10" wide wheel. I just wanted the widest tire I could get out back I suppose. He has 30" fender to ground. I have 28". I guess it depends on the back space and how far the tire is tucked under/into the wheel well. I don't think I want that tire stuffed into the wheel well look though, like a slammed car look, so I'm leaning towards the 255 if I decide to go with the RWL BFG's.
Please keep the responses coming!
Thanks!

Ron
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 12, 05:14 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

I was a RWL guy too until I bought my 15" torq thrust II's, the vendor talked me into putting the black wall out and I must say I actually ended up liking the black wall better. Plus I see that the white lettering is starting to turn brown on my BFG t/a's now anyway.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 12, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ron View Post
I will do that as well. That will give me the "frontspace" then, right?

I saw a car at a show with that but his car was not lowered at all and he still had 2-3 fingers clearance above the tire. He has the BFG's on a 10" wide wheel. I just wanted the widest tire I could get out back I suppose. He has 30" fender to ground. I have 28". I guess it depends on the back space and how far the tire is tucked under/into the wheel well. I don't think I want that tire stuffed into the wheel well look though, like a slammed car look, so I'm leaning towards the 255 if I decide to go with the RWL BFG's.
Please keep the responses coming!
Thanks!

Ron
I was referring to the vertical measurement. You said you had 28" from the fender to the ground right now regarding how tall of a tire you could fit. Your current tires/rims affect that measurement. For example if you tires/rims where only 20" tall right now that measurement would shrink considerably. You should instead measure from the center of the hub to the fender. That measurement when multiplied by 2 will give you your true maximum wheel height fitment.

But yes, if you hung a plumb line from the fender lip you could also measure straight out from the hub and get your "front space".

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 12, 04:45 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Since all new cars have black walls and we are used to seeing them we start to like them! Or just accept them! I like them on my Caddie too.

To Steiner, your back space is critical and can give a 10" look from the side to give it that beefy look, that is why I like the Vette Rally wheels with short center caps. I think we have all played the tire/wheel game. . . .good luck.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 12, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr.Ron

Quote:
I was referring to the vertical measurement. You said you had 28" from the fender to the ground right now regarding how tall of a tire you could fit. Your current tires/rims affect that measurement. For example if you tires/rims where only 20" tall right now that measurement would shrink considerably. You should instead measure from the center of the hub to the fender. That measurement when multiplied by 2 will give you your true maximum wheel height fitment.

But yes, if you hung a plumb line from the fender lip you could also measure straight out from the hub and get your "front space".
Now I understand better what you are saying. So you are suggesting measuring from the center of the hub up to the top of the inside of the wheel well??
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 12, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Ron View Post
Now I understand better what you are saying. So you are suggesting measuring from the center of the hub up to the top of the inside of the wheel well??
It all depends on what you're trying to do, but measuring to the top of the actual wheel well and using that does not allow for suspension movement.

Let's get back to the original question because I think I'm hurting more then helping....

I can't speak for a '68 but from my experience with a '69 a 275 tire on a 9.5" rim with 5.5" backspace will fit inside the fender. I think a '68 may have a little more room just because of how the fender is designed....'69 fender lip is lower and straight across whereas '68 is rounded with that kinda "power bulge" look but they may be about the same.

When I was running stock leaf spring bushings and shackles the inside of the tire would just kiss the inner wheel well on hard corners with speed especially of the suspension compressed. When I moved everything to a a lowered car and installed poly bushings in the rear only of the leafs and used heavy duty shackles that went away.

Bottom line, I think a 275 on a 10" rim might be too much. Your idea of using a 255 would probably would be the safest bet but on a 9" rim with 5-5.5" backspace. Another thing is that a 275/60 on a 15" rim just looks like too much tire on the back of a first gen to me.

On a side note, Cooper still makes the white letter Cobra GT and white letter Mastercraft Avenger G/T in a 235/55-16.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 12, 08:48 PM
chad

I just replaced my 15x8 corvette rallys on my 68 today and I'm very pleased. I was running 255-60-15 out back and 235-60-15 up front. I replaced all front suspension including new QA1 coil overs up front and all new poly body bushings and front end components and bushings with QA 1 adjustables in the rear of the car as well. I also did a 4 wheel power disc brake upgrade at the same time. The suspension and brake upgrade lowered the car 2" and pushed the wheel hubs out about 1/2" causing a lot of rubbing with the 15s.

I went an 18x8 Foose Legend in the rear w/ 5 1/8" BS and a 245-45-18 Nitto 555; 17x7 Foose in front w/ 4.5" BS and a 235-45-17. No rubbing at all now and I have to say I like the black wall look. I too had white letters w/ my Rallys and having grown up with them liked the look but I believe the new look is much better.

Here's before and after photo's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chads camaro.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	30431

Click image for larger version

Name:	camaro foose wheels.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	30432

Chad O - Missouri
68 camaro coupe owned since 1985
327 punched .060; muncie M20 4speed; 3:73 posi
Foose Legend rims Nitto skins
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 12, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr.Ron

Quote:
It all depends on what you're trying to do, but measuring to the top of the actual wheel well and using that does not allow for suspension movement.

Let's get back to the original question because I think I'm hurting more then helping....

I can't speak for a '68 but from my experience with a '69 a 275 tire on a 9.5" rim with 5.5" backspace will fit inside the fender. I think a '68 may have a little more room just because of how the fender is designed....'69 fender lip is lower and straight across whereas '68 is rounded with that kinda "power bulge" look but they may be about the same.

When I was running stock leaf spring bushings and shackles the inside of the tire would just kiss the inner wheel well on hard corners with speed especially of the suspension compressed. When I moved everything to a a lowered car and installed poly bushings in the rear only of the leafs and used heavy duty shackles that went away.

Bottom line, I think a 275 on a 10" rim might be too much. Your idea of using a 255 would probably would be the safest bet but on a 9" rim with 5-5.5" backspace. Another thing is that a 275/60 on a 15" rim just looks like too much tire on the back of a first gen to me.

On a side note, Cooper still makes the white letter Cobra GT and white letter Mastercraft Avenger G/T in a 235/55-16.
You are NOT hurting at all!
I get what you are saying and think the same. I think the 275 would likely fit BUT I don't want it to look stuffed in the wheel well. Yes your 69 fender IS different than my 67. I am going with the 9" wheel and 255 tire w/ a 5" backspace. Tire size & wheel preference were driving me, but wheel preference with the correct backspace was the greater issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowens View Post
I just replaced my 15x8 corvette rallys on my 68 today and I'm very pleased. I was running 255-60-15 out back and 235-60-15 up front. I replaced all front suspension including new QA1 coil overs up front and all new poly body bushings and front end components and bushings with QA 1 adjustables in the rear of the car as well. I also did a 4 wheel power disc brake upgrade at the same time. The suspension and brake upgrade lowered the car 2" and pushed the wheel hubs out about 1/2" causing a lot of rubbing with the 15s.

I went an 18x8 Foose Legend in the rear w/ 5 1/8" BS and a 245-45-18 Nitto 555; 17x7 Foose in front w/ 4.5" BS and a 235-45-17. No rubbing at all now and I have to say I like the black wall look. I too had white letters w/ my Rallys and having grown up with them liked the look but I believe the new look is much better.
Looks nice. I am going with 7" wheel up front. I was going to go with 225's, but after seeing several guys here with 235's on a 7" wheel (some 8") and having no issues I think I may go with the 235's instead.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode