Difference btw Disc and Non Disc Wheels? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 12, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage
Difference btw Disc and Non Disc Wheels?

Hey there,

I need to pick up a 14" rally wheel for my spare. My car came stock with front disc brakes and the rears have been converted to disc brakes as well. I see there are ads for disc and non disc brake wheels, but honestly what exactly is the (technical/visual) difference and can they be interchanged or can you only use a disc brake wheel on a disc brake car?

Thanks

Charlie
Edmonds, WA
1969 Camaro SS Vert LS1 T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 12, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Re: Difference btw Disc and Non Disc Wheels?

Charlie,
I'm not a wheel expert, so can't offer specific fitment advice, but the wheels made for factory disc brake applications had greater clearance to allow for the brake calipers. As your car has discs F&R, I'd suggest you would have clearance issues if you tried to use drum brake wheels.
There's a table on the CRG "Wheels" page here: http://www.camaros.org/suspen.shtml#Wheels that indicates which 14" Camaro wheel application codes were for disc brake cars. If you have aftermarket brakes, then try the manufacturer's tech line for advice - most specify minimum 15" wheels, but say that some 14" will fit. Wilwood (and others) offer templates to download, but that is more for checking if your current wheels will allow their big brake kits to fit.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 12, 10:34 PM
Senior Tech
John

It all has to do with wheel back spacing. Here is a good link that I pulled from the sticky at the top of this forum:

http://www.earlywheel.com/products.h...ng-information

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 12, 10:49 PM
Senior Tech
Al

The 14" disc brake wheel will fit factory front discs and factory front and/or rear drum brakes. The non disc 14" wheel will not fit factory front discs.

I would buy the disc brake wheel for your spare. It should fit your factory front discs, and you can hope it fits your rear discs. You did not say what kind of rear discs you have, but assuming your current 14" rallys fit them, you should be safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 12, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
The 14" disc brake wheel will fit factory front discs and factory front and/or rear drum brakes. The non disc 14" wheel will not fit factory front discs.

I would buy the disc brake wheel for your spare. It should fit your factory front discs, and you can hope it fits your rear discs. You did not say what kind of rear discs you have, but assuming your current 14" rallys fit them, you should be safe.

While not on the CRG chart (must not be a 1st gen) would a 14 X 7 Rally Wheel with "YW" work as a spare for my front and rear DISC brakes?

Charlie
Edmonds, WA
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 12, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromaniac View Post
While not on the CRG chart (must not be a 1st gen) would a 14 X 7 Rally Wheel with "YW" work as a spare for my front and rear DISC brakes?

After some additional research, the "YW" Rally Wheel was for a Chevelle which was 14 x 6 with a 0.88 Offset.

I can read "X_" on my Rally Wheels, which I will assume are "XG" Rally Wheels with a 0.50 Offset, but will likely need to scrape some of the paint off to verify the G.

Charlie
Edmonds, WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode