Help with 16" wheel purchase - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 12, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Russ

Question Help with 16" wheel purchase

From reading MANY threads on wheel and tire sizes it seems that the most common wheel/tire sizes are:

Front 15” = 15x7, 4.25 bs, 235-60-15
Rear 15” = 15x8, 4.5 bs, 255-60-15
Or
Front 17” = 17x7, 4.5 bs, 235-45-17
Rear 17” = 17x8, 4.5 bs, 255-45-17

I was having a real hard time deciding between 15” and 17” wheels since I like them both. Then I saw a car that had 16” wheels and that hit my sweet spot. A happy compromise and it looked great to me.

However, that is now presenting its own issues in the very limited choices in wheels and tires. I want an all chrome wheel and was leaning towards the Summit Legend 5’s. But those aren’t offered in 16”. Cragers are not offered in 16”. The TT2s are available in 16", but only in polished or a combination chrome/polish. I cannot find a 16” all chrome wheel in the size/bs that it appears that I need.

I did find the TTD wheels in all chrome in a 16”, but they only have an 8” wheel with a 4” backspace. So, my question….If I go with a narrower tire than the recommended sizes above, will that offset the smaller backspacing and help prevent rubbing? Will the smaller backspace make the tires stick out too far from the fender?

For instance, since the front backspacing is off by .25 inches could I go with a 215 tire (8.46”) instead of a 235 tire (9.25”)? Since the tire is about .75 inches narrower, would that help prevent any rubbing? Would a 215 tire work on a 8" wheel? On the back the backspacing is off by .5 inch. Could I go with a 235 tire (9.25”) instead of the 255 tire (10.04”)? The rear is a bigger question since in theory I would need a tire that is a full inch narrower to make up for the .5 difference in backspacing.

After my long winded question, bottom line is…..will this wheel/tire combination fit with no rubbing and will it look decent?

Front - 16x8, 4.0 backspace, 215/55-16
Rear - 16x8, 4.0 backspace, 235/55-16

Ideally I would like to go one size wider on the tires if possible, but then I may have to drop down to a 50 ratio on the rear due to limited tire availability.

I have a black 68 and am running a stock suspension, but my subframe is from a 69. It has a big block in it, but not sure if the 69 subframe has the BB springs or not. I currently have a 235/60-14 front tire and get some rubbing on big bumps. Not sure on bs of the existing wheel. Rears I have 295/50-15 with air shocks. I’m ditching the air shocks and that is what started this whole mess.

I may want to lower it depending on the stance after the new wheels and tires go on.

Sorry for so many questions, but I am really struggling with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 12, 07:05 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Re: Help with 16" wheel purchase

Hi Russ. First off welcome to Team Camaro!

The backspace for those wheels is not enough. Although they would fit, they would stick out too much and probably would rub, especially if you're going to lower it. On an 8" rim, 4.5" backspace (offset is 0) or even a little more, is a better fit. Remember, you can always add a small spacer to push it out if you have too much backspace, but you can't add backspace.

Here is my 68, with 16x8's 4.5" backspace. 245/50/16 rear and 225/55/16 front.
It has front lowering springs and Hotchkis 1.5" lowering leafs.

Too bad you weren't closer, They might be for sale soon.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 12, 07:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

I am running 16" TTII on my '69 Camaro and they are available in the back spaces you need.

Front: 16 x 7 w/ 4" backspace. 225/55 BF Goodrich
Rear: 16 x 8 w/ 4.75 backspace 255/50 BF Goodrich

This size fits perfectly with no rubbing anywhere.

As you know the TTII are polished aluminum. Unless I compare them side-by-side with chrome wheels I don't notice the difference.

Click on the link below for photos.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 12, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

I feel your pain on deciding on what wheel and what size to go with. I was going 17 inch and could not do it in the end. I thought about 16 inch but the selection was thin and tire selections were not so good and they were expensive.
Go to the cragar site and look at the vintage series. I am running Cragar Eliminators in 15 inch, these can be bought in full chrome or polished. The SS style in the new cast aluminum looks really good. These wheels run the $130.00 range ea from Summit. A polished or chrome is little more. Both are also available in 17 inch but my opinion is the 15 inch on the first gens look the best. You may want to check out vintage wheel works they make 16 inch wheels and are great looking wheels.

Mine are:
Rear 15x8 4.5 inch back space 255/60/15 hotchkiss 1 1/2 lowering rear springs.

Front 15x7 4.125 inch (4 1/8) back space 235/60/15 hotchkiss front 2 inch lowering springs.

I am biased on the 15 inch wheels myself, they fit what I was after for a look. Good luck and keep looking, picking wheels was a tough thing for me to do.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 12, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Russ

Thanks for the reply guys.

Mike68RS - I just moved down here from Indy. If I still lived in Indy it would have made the deal a possibility.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 12, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Russ

I just found out that the TT2's are now available in PVD Chrome in the sizes that will work. They match the sizes that Andrew69 (thanks!) is running and I am planning to go with that exact setup. Before I do, I want to get some feedback on the PVD finish. I'm going to post another thread asking for feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode