What size rims?? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 13, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Rob

What size rims??

So on my current 68 project eventually we will be getting new rims and tires as some stage of the game. The harder decisions i seem to be facing is what size rims to put on it and what type. One option for me would be to put the stock 15 Rallye's on front and rear with a slightly wider rear which is pretty straight forward. However my second two options are up for grabs. If I were to put something like american racing (Which is what it has on now just to worn to refurbish) or Cragers on Im stuck on if I should keep the 15 inch size and put a big meaty rear tire on to give it a bit of 80's era drag look. Or if I should go big like 17's or 18's and give it that pro touring look. The suspension was not lowered so my major question would be IF I went with the pro touring option of wheels, would it look silly on a stock height 68?

P.S. If your read this all I thank you and apologize for the lengthy post, i just didn't know how else to explain my situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 13, 09:08 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: What size rims??

Both options can look good, but it all depends on the intentions for your car and your style. Personally, I've always liked subtle muscle car looks. Maybe the rallys with a Mickey Thompson 275 radial or similar size tire on the back? That option always seems to maintain the classic look of the car while adding a subtle twist. Sometimes slapping an aftermarket set of biggies on a classic car can set it off, or give it an awkward look. The right wheels and stance are key. Decisions, decisions...

I'd just suggest asking yourself which of the two styles you enjoy more, and best fits your personality, and go that direction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Then: N/A, 436 ci, Stock Block, Track 1's, Stock Suspension, Ranchos, 3250 lbs... 1.33 60 ft / 9.69 @ 138 mph
Now: Boost...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 04:28 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I too am old school. If you want the pro street look it should be lowered and the rest of the car to match. I am partial to 15x8 rallys on the back and 7's on the front. 245x60 on the back and 225x60 on the front. . . .just enough to give it that muscular look, good luck.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 05:01 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Depends a lot on how you want the car to handle. Low-profile tires on bigger rims will handle better than a 60-series tire of the same overall diameter on a smaller rim.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 05:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by .gearhead. View Post
Both options can look good, but it all depends on the intentions for your car and your style. Personally, I've always liked subtle muscle car looks. Maybe the rallys with a Mickey Thompson 275 radial or similar size tire on the back? That option always seems to maintain the classic look of the car while adding a subtle twist. Sometimes slapping an aftermarket set of biggies on a classic car can set it off, or give it an awkward look. The right wheels and stance are key. Decisions, decisions...

I'd just suggest asking yourself which of the two styles you enjoy more, and best fits your personality, and go that direction.
I've always liked the rally look with the 275 mt. I would love to go with a 10" rally rim on rear with a 275 mt tucked. I just can't see a rally rim on my silver car. Guess I'd have to see one.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 05:35 AM
John

Garage

17s

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 10:12 AM
Tech Team
em

Cragers look awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhimselfff View Post
So on my current 68 project eventually we will be getting new rims and tires as some stage of the game. The harder decisions i seem to be facing is what size rims to put on it and what type. One option for me would be to put the stock 15 Rallye's on front and rear with a slightly wider rear which is pretty straight forward. However my second two options are up for grabs. If I were to put something like american racing (Which is what it has on now just to worn to refurbish) or Cragers on Im stuck on if I should keep the 15 inch size and put a big meaty rear tire on to give it a bit of 80's era drag look cheap tires. Or if I should go big like 17's or 18's and give it that pro touring look. The suspension was not lowered so my major question would be IF I went with the pro touring option of wheels, would it look silly on a stock height 68 Camaro?

P.S. If your read this all I thank you and apologize for the lengthy post, i just didn't know how else to explain my situation.

and other
video collection
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 13, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Cragars FTW. I like the muscle car look myself but hey if you like the foosemobile look go for it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 13, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Like others have said, it's all personal choice and there is no right or wrong... unless you put 24" truck wheels on it. I was looking at 17's but decided to stick with 15x7's front and rear as I just liked the more old school look. Running 225/60's up front and 245's in rear but could easily go 255 or 265, maybe 275 on 8" rim.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode