First Gen - Widen Rear Inner Wheel Wells Slightly - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 13, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

First Gen - Widen Rear Inner Wheel Wells Slightly

Hi guys -

I'm running 17x9.5 rears with 275s and when I turn into a sloped driveway, I rub inner wheel well badly. I have only .25" or so now and it's not good. Has anyone had luck widening wells with a dead blow? I do not want to mini-tub so what other success have you had? I think I need to pick up about another .25" and that's about it.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 13, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: First Gen - Widen Rear Inner Wheel Wells Slightly

I run a 275-60-15 and I get a small rub on the chrome outer wheel trim now and then. If you are rubbing the inside well then maybe the wheels are a different backspace then mine.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 13, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Thx. I have 5.5 bs which from what I read widely was the standard for a max width. I've added 5/16th spacers and it def helped but still trouble with steep driveways upon turn-in. I think I'm running out of wheel studs so I need to pick up some inside room...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 13, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech
mike

I think my wheels are 4.5 backset. I am not sure about your springs but mine are new and maybe you are getting to much movement? I am not sure how much I think it would be a good idea to start hammering any wheel wells. I f you need to they do make mini tubs that you can keep your back seat stock with.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 13, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

You won't be able to get a dent in a good wheel well with a dead blow. I have the same setup on a '69 and it used to rub in fast turns so the serration on the side of the tires made a noise that scared me into thinking my rear end was whining. That was with some reproduction four leaf springs and new bushings. I moved everything over to another car, used Global West lowering springs (the softer of the two they offer), and used Energy Suspension heavy duty shackle kit and poly bushings in the rear of the leafs/frame only. It does not seem to rub with this setup. I think the poly bushings keep the rear from "swinging" a little like it was with the rubber ones, or rather keep the rear of the car from swinging over the axle. I retained the supplied rubber bushings in the front of the leafs though after reading that anything else could cause binding in aggressive cornering.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

Thx Steiner. I've got all new springs, bushings and hardware...all hotchkis stuff so I think deflection is toward the lower end. I may just try to space the wheels out a bit more. What width spacer do you feel is max for safety's sake? I've got 5/16" now and I think I'm running out of wheel stud length.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 07:45 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Are we talking about a '69? Is it a coupe or ragtop? Rear disc's would give you another 3/16" if you currently have drums. It sounds like you are getting to much body flex which is typically associated with ragtops more than coupes. If you have a coupe it sounds like you have a weakened sub structure under your good parts.

My ragtop (no roof = more body flex) was slightly rubbing on the inner fenders with 255/45 tires on 17x9.5" w/5.5" bs as the body flexed going into driveways diagonally to avoid scrapping (lowered car). Adding a Hotchkis rear frame support brace (intended for installation of rear sway bar) really helped and I'm thinking about 275/40's next tire change...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

It's a '69. I've got Hotchkis SFC installed and I replaced body bushings to poly. The car now feels super-firm and tight after all of the susp work so I kind of doubt that I'm getting an inordinate amount of flex. It's only a problem into steep righthand turn driveways. I've still got a Hellwig rear sway bar to install. Do you think that might help at all?

I'll measure this weekend but I think I've got only .25" between tire sidewall and inner well. Your point about discs is a good one, though. Can you recommend a particular rear disc kit? Everybody seems to sell one and some are crap from what I read. Modest cost...I do not need 6-piston calipers, bling paint and other baloney...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heynow14 View Post
It's a '69. I've got Hotchkis SFC installed and I replaced body bushings to poly. The car now feels super-firm and tight after all of the susp work so I kind of doubt that I'm getting an inordinate amount of flex. It's only a problem into steep righthand turn driveways. I've still got a Hellwig rear sway bar to install. Do you think that might help at all?

I'll measure this weekend but I think I've got only .25" between tire sidewall and inner well. Your point about discs is a good one, though. Can you recommend a particular rear disc kit? Everybody seems to sell one and some are crap from what I read. Modest cost...I do not need 6-piston calipers, bling paint and other baloney...
LS1 4th gen rear disks.. super easy and cost me about 250 for the rears.. OEM quality, parking brake and aluminum calipers. Look up my username on ls1tech and my build thread has lots of pics

67 Camaro LS1+ tvs2300/4L70E 530 RWHP
64 Corvette Coupe 350/ TKO600
66 Mustang (289/C4)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 02:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bryon

I had a similar issue on my 68. I went the easy route, just switched to a narrower wheel and tire. I like to see a minimum of 3/8 clearance on tires, but that's just me.

68 Camaro SS 396 - 468 BBC now, M21, 12 bolt 3.73 coded housing but w/ 3.31 gears.
Looking for 68 Camaro with body number NOR 181016
CRG -
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

c6matt-
Thx for the info. Do you happen to have part numbers list? Or where you got brackets?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 13, 04:03 PM
Tech Team
Brian

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-02-Camaro...da662f&vxp=mtr

I did the same on mine. You can find setups on fleabay or local craiglist sometimes for reasonable prices
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 13, 06:40 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heynow14 View Post
c6matt-
Thx for the info. Do you happen to have part numbers list? Or where you got brackets?
use the full 4th gen backingplates, bolts right to your stock 10 or 12 bolt. all you need is a 3/16 spacer and a flare to bubble adapter... thats it...

67 Camaro LS1+ tvs2300/4L70E 530 RWHP
64 Corvette Coupe 350/ TKO600
66 Mustang (289/C4)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 13, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member

dope! Thx for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hammer, mini tub, tire clearance, wheel well, widen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode