chrome vs pvd coating - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 13, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Laurie

chrome vs pvd coating

Hello everyone,

I would like some testimony on bright pvd wheels vs chrome wheels as far as durability, shine, ease of clean etc... Pro's and con's for both please. Anyone have any experience with bright pvd wheels?

Thanks in advance

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 13, 01:53 PM
Banned
Chet

Re: chrome vs pvd coating

I work for the world's largest PVD coater. Nooooo waaaay would I get PVD coated wheels. Yeah, it can be a decorative coating but that's on display parts and pieces, firearms, trophies, etc. I watched a video of how one of these companies does this. Spray a grey primer on and let it cure before PVD coating? No way. PVD coating is only a few microns thick. Any thicker and it can delaminate. PVD coating must have a clean and etched surface for proper adhesion. When we etch tools in our coating vessels, we actually burn a molecular layer off of the tools so the PVD coating adheres properly. Any oil-based solvent like WD-40 will lift PVD coating right off the part. Takes a while to do it but it will do it but it will happen. PVD coating is a line of sight process that occurs in a vaccuum greater than outer space. It would be next to impossible to get a uniform coating thickness in all the nooks and crannies of a complex wheel. I wouldn't do it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 13, 02:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: chrome vs pvd coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rocking daddy View Post
I work for the world's largest PVD coater. Nooooo waaaay would I get PVD coated wheels. ...
Many of the newer cars today have had PVD coated wheels - and other parts - for years now
Yes, they 'can' peel, flake, discolor and otherwise fail - but so can chrome.
Either process requires complete and proper cleaning and prep to get reliable results.

I think the answer to your question lies in what you want and how you intend to use it.
If you want a 'color' then your almost stuck with a PVD or other sprayed coating technology.
If you just want some 'bling' then chrome is time proven technology to get there - if done correctly ...

Oh, you must work in Clinton Township Chet

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 13, 04:07 PM
Banned
Chet

Actually, John, I work everywhere but I have been seen a time or two in Clinton Twp or Wixom in Michigan. We have 9 centers in Canada and the U.S. with two more being built. I go around the country as an application engineer conducting coating tests and making recommendations as to what coating is best for machining auto engine parts, diesel truck engine parts, jet engine parts, etc.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 13, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Laurie

Asked and answered.

Thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 15, 03:33 PM
dave

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 15, 11:48 AM
Dick Race

Thumbs up Re: chrome vs pvd coating

Know about as much now as I did before I read the posts. Guess i will think a little more.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 15, 12:03 PM
Dick Race

Shaky Ground

How are you people? Standing on shakiy ground here, i do not have a camarro but I do have a car that is a thrill to drive just as I hope all your cars are for you. Anywy, I am trying to gather up some info on this new chrome plating being performed on wheels. Being torn between putting original type wheels or going modern with the chrome? Anyone out there have any expeience with the new wheels? I believe they call it PVD- google it. On second thought don't - you will be more confused then when you started. Chrome plating done wll vs. PVD chrome plating done well - who wins?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode