Help with wheel backspace - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 13, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Help with wheel backspace

I've got a brand new set of 255's that I put on my car.. They rubbed slightly on one side.. The other side cleared by less than a mm. My back rims are warped anyways so I want to replace the rims.. I looked for codes on the rims to see what they were but I can't find a code on them. My guess is they've been painted over a ton of times.

I ended up measuring them and it appears to be a 15x7 with 4in of BS. So I assume I'll be completely fine if I get a rim with 4.5 of BS.. Or a 15x8 with over 5" of BS.. Basically as long as less than 3 inches of rim is infront of the hub.. Since I can't find a 15x8 with any more than 5" of BS (Which would leave me with 3" infront of the hub, which is what I have now) I'll probably stick with 15x7.

Just wanted someone to confirm it for me before I order new rims for the rear.

Measuring from the mounting surface to front of rim.

Measuring from mounting surface to rear of rim.

I've had a few people 'old time' mechanics see my car without the center caps on and mention that center looks 'too far out' and I need to move the rim in about half an inch.

I should mention it's a 69 with the full Hotchkis TVS kit. I had the 255's on no problem before I lowered it. Now it rubs on bumps or 'spirited' driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 13, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech
Mikael

Re: Help with wheel backspace

I cant see where the piece of wood is in contact with the rim, but for me it looks as you are measuring the outer width of the rim. That should be approx 1" more than the real rim width. So your rim might be 6" wide with a backspace of 4" which gives an offset of +12.7 mm.
The correct offset on my -67 is +6 mm for the rear tires to get them located in the middle of the wheel weels. That is if you have the original drum brakes.
I guess your tires are rubbing on the inside?
Rgds/Mikael

69 Chevelle Malibu 400/TH400 (136379Z328013)
67 Camaro Coupe 327 - Sold 26:th of Aug 2014

Last edited by Elmer; Feb 17th, 13 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 13, 08:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Allen

Chris, I have 15x8 with 5" backspace and 275x60/15 on the rear of my 69. I have the 1 1/2" lowered springs on rear and my tire rubs on the inside when I corner hard.

69 X-11 RS Conv. Deluxe Int, PW, PT.
69 X-11, Column shift, 350, 12 bolt 4:11, Yenko Clone
68 SS clone, tach, console gauges, 355 with 700R4
67 RS/SS clone, BB, Auto, 12 bolt 4:11

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 13, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
I cant see where the piece of wood is in contact with the rim, but for me it looks as you are measuring the outer width of the rim. That should be approx 1" more than the real rim width. So your rim might be 6" wide with a backspace of 4" which gives an offset of +12.7 mm.
The correct offset on my -67 is +6 mm for the rear tires to get them located in the middle of the wheel weels. That is if you have the original drum brakes.
I guess your tires are rubbing on the inside?
Rgds/Mikael
Nope outside rubbing actually. It's sitting on the inside of the lip on the rim. It's a 15x7 on the rear, 15x6 on the front. I have no idea what these rims are off (the identification codes are long gone). It's a disc/disc car. I have a TON of room on the inside of the wheel well (probably 2-2.5 inches) but the rim is out too far by about half an inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racin67cam View Post
Chris, I have 15x8 with 5" backspace and 275x60/15 on the rear of my 69. I have the 1 1/2" lowered springs on rear and my tire rubs on the inside when I corner hard.
Really? That should in theory be the same setup as I have (3 inches of rim infront of the hub) although a wider tire.. and mine rubs just slightly. on bumps and hard cornering... but mine rubs on the outside.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 13, 02:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Allen

Your disc brakes on the rear may be placing the wheel further out than mine.Click image for larger version

Name:	1357610379063.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	32395 Here is a picture of mine. The rims are 8x15 with 5" bs and 275/60x15 tires, no problem with rubbing outer rear wheel well.

69 X-11 RS Conv. Deluxe Int, PW, PT.
69 X-11, Column shift, 350, 12 bolt 4:11, Yenko Clone
68 SS clone, tach, console gauges, 355 with 700R4
67 RS/SS clone, BB, Auto, 12 bolt 4:11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode