Just bought new rims, what tire size can I use? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 13, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shawn

Just bought new rims, what tire size can I use?

hey guys, I got a great deal on some wheels, and I want to know what the biggest tire i could use to have no rub (I know every car is different, but im looking to be safe)

The car isnt going to be daily driven so im not worried about a little rubbing, and the back seats will not be in the car so it will only have one passenger up front.

The wheels are cragar 5 star 341 series.

Backs are 15x8" with a 4.125" backspace, and the fronts are 15x6 with a 3.5" backspace

I want to fit the tallest tire I can in the back.

I know the backspace isnt the ideal one but I have to work with what I have.. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 13, 02:52 PM
Senior Tech
Randy

Re: Just bought new rims, what tire size can I use?

I have a 275/60/15 on a 15x8 wheel with 4.5" BS, this is on a 67 camaro.

1967 camaro, 327, 9.7 CR, comp cam xs274solid, vortec cylinder heads, edelbrock vortec performer rpm, 750 annular carb, HVH 2" spacer, msd pro billet w/6A box, turbo 350 trans, 3500 stall, 4:10 gears, caltracs suspension, m/t drag radials.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 13, 08:18 PM
Premium Member
Gordon

Re: Just bought new rims, what tire size can I use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimizati0n View Post
hey guys, I got a great deal on some wheels, and I want to know what the biggest tire i could use to have no rub (I know every car is different, but im looking to be safe)

The car isnt going to be daily driven so im not worried about a little rubbing, and the back seats will not be in the car so it will only have one passenger up front.

The wheels are cragar 5 star 341 series.

Backs are 15x8" with a 4.125" backspace, and the fronts are 15x6 with a 3.5" backspace

I want to fit the tallest tire I can in the back.

I know the backspace isnt the ideal one but I have to work with what I have.. thanks!
I've got the 275/60 - 15s on my 15/8 rear wheels with a 4.5 BS. You won't get away with any less BS than that as when you're high speeding it around a curve the tire will kiss the leaf spring and/or fenderwell.

You can get Gorilla wheel spacers from Summit to bring the wheel out just a bit.

for the front I went with 245/60/15s on a 15/7 wheel 4.5 BS as well. I know I could get away with 4.25 BS but would be tight. You've got 3.5 BS so you should put in a 3/4 inch spacer to bring it out. By the way, my tires rub the frame on tight turns so I have to try and remember to not fully turn the steering wheel. My front springs have a one inch drop...I don't really think it makes any difference.

For the rear I added teflon blocks onto the rubber axle bumper to keep the tires down. Also put in stiff KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and that realy helps so I've had practically no tire/fenderwell conflict. Lots of people remark that my wheels/tires setup are the tightest they've ever seen on the street.

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode