68 camaro stance - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 13, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Ryan

68 camaro stance

Ive read through the previouse posts and cant find exactly what im looking for. I am wondering what the widest tire i can put on the back without tubs on a 17 or 18 inch rim with a 2" drop in the rear . Tire size and backspacing on rim. Im running the factory 12 bolt. Also front with a 16 or 17 inch rim with a 2" drop. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 13, 02:54 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: 68 camaro stance

Ryan - if you are looking for a definitive "what fits" you won't find it because there are too many variables... Did you see this sticky thread?

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=153193

From there I can tell you someone might tell you a 285/35/18 fits without rubbing but what you don't get told is the car gets driven on and off the trailer and never has passengers in the car. Even 275/40/17 may work for one guy and not you depending on how you drive your car. I personally wouldn't even thing of a bigger tire than a 275/40 or a 255/45 without expecting rubbing issues. To run those sizes you have to get wheels with special backspacing and trim the fender lip on most cars. Look through that link at all the '68 combos folks are running and pick one you like then ask questions about what it takes to get them to fit...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 13, 06:35 AM
Mike

Ryan I was in the same position you are in a couple of months ago trying to figure out what would fit with out rubbing. I ended up going with 17x8 on the front with 4.75 back spacing with 235/45's and 17x9.5 on the rear with 5.5 back spacing with 275/40's. At first the fronts would rub on med to big size bumps until I had the front aligned with the "Street" set up on Dave Pozzi's web site which has more negitive camber than the OEM numbers. No more rubbing since. On the back the only issue is pulling into a sloping driveway, I will get some rubbing on the inside of the wheel as the axle compresses. I wouldn't go any bigger without tubs. Oh hey I have 2" Hotchkis springs in the front and 1.5" Hotchkis springs in the rear.

68 Camaro, 327/M20

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 13, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Ryan

Thanks for the help. I plan on driving it like i stole it so I can understand what you mean about how the vehicle is being used. Plus it a big block car so its probably going to rub a little easier.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 13, 09:27 AM
Senior Tech
mike

What size brakes will you run? I have seen bigger wheels with stock brakes and it looks odd in my simple minded opinion.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 13, 11:50 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRIEBESS View Post
Thanks for the help. I plan on driving it like i stole it so I can understand what you mean about how the vehicle is being used. Plus it a big block car so its probably going to rub a little easier.
It's said that on the '69 you can put 245/45/17's and 275/40/17's front and back on 17x8 w/4.75bs and 17x9.5 w/5.5bs wheels. I ended up with 235/45/17 and 255/45/17 with the same size wheels as already mentioned. On the front I had to replace the upper most fender bolts with button style allen heads and add negative camber and the tires still scuff the inner fender lock to lock. In the rear I trimmed the fender lip and had some tire scuff on the inside going diagonal through some driveways until I added a Hotchkis frame brace used for mounting their rear sway bar.

For the most part I can load the trunk, take passengers or drive as hard as I want without worrying about tire damage by stepping down a size over what is said to fit on my year Camaro. My cars lowered with Hotchkis 2" and 1.5" springs, has urethane body bushings, subframe connectors and a rear frame brace between the rear frame rails. Being a convertible I think a coupe with more factory structural rigidity would allow tighter fit of the tires and the 245 and 275 sizes would probably work.

Again that's '69 not '68 so just informational for comparison...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 13, 12:08 AM
Senior Tech
Pete

Im running 275/35-18 with no rubbing. But...as was stated there are a lot of variables, my car is lowered 3 inches but I cut and bent the insider fender lip about a half inch. Wheel offset will effect it too. I can put 1-2 people in the car and its fine.

Funny thing is I, ordering replacement tires now and they will be 285...Ill keep going wider til it rubs!!!

Pete
1968 Camaro
2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 13, 12:40 PM
Senior Tech
thefley

I am running 17x10s on rear Boyd coddington wheels, 2 inch drop 5" back spacing 235/r60. I did have to add a 1/4 inch spacer Behring wheel and drum to stop minor rub.

First Gen Camaro Connections on Facebook

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode