mini tub or keep it stock - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 13, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
james caldwell

mini tub or keep it stock

Just want some opinions on whether to mini tub or just run the widest tire I can fit on the stock tubs. Give me your opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 13, 01:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
matthew

Re: mini tub or keep it stock

Obviously if it is a original SS,Z28,COPO ect. you do not want to do that, but if not mini tub it, i love the look of mine
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 13, 02:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I personably am not a fan of modifications that aren't easily returned to stock. I think you're asking for our permission to change you car. Go Ahead.... it's your car.

Jeff

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 13, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
james caldwell

I want that aggressive look but just getting opinions from other camaro enthusiasts
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 13, 04:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Mine is being minitubbed as we speak. You can't beat the look of a 10'' wheel tucked.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 13, 04:27 PM
Senior Tech
Mario

See....if you're going to mini it than just run a 10 inch wheel, to me it aint worth it. 10 inch is doeable w/o tubbin'. Now if you want to run a 345 or a 30 x 13.5 ET street, you need to mini tub it. I have had both, actually the 3 styles lol! Stock, mini tubbed and fully tubbed ( which lets you drop the car even more with taller tires even if you dont go full width)

I just got a new 69 Camaro (got it last wednesday) a very nice 48 000 miles survivor /showroom fresh looking and i really tought "man its gonna be soooo nice to work on that ultra clean virgin canvas!" I was gonna do a PT car and now i just cant come to cutting it up!! I have been thinking for a while that these cars are all alike and are getting to be a copy of one another and that i might have seen the look enough (i mean no bashing of the style or anything else here as i still think they look awesome when done properly, im just stating my personnal taste growth in the sport) and i am thinking of doing a COPO clone with it instead as i have the 12 bolt, alum winters heads and a 512 block motor so im off to a good start. Also, from a performance standpoint if you take Stielows last car, he had 325 tires in the rear if i remember correctly to be closer to a "4 corner with the same size" set up as it is preferred for real performance versus 345 in the rear and tiny 245 that you can tipically fit w /a stock subframe... Ou could do a 295 rear on a 10 inch wheel and a 255 or 265 front, a nice stance and put the money toward an G bar instead to gain suspension improvement instead of just getting looks.

My 2 cents!! And they are just that,

Lead.

LEADFOOT1

'Still a 1969 Camaro, but now a 1 owner 63 000 miles stored since 82 Convertible! Complete C6-Z06 Brake set-up, DSE Frame conn,19x8.5" and 20x13" Gunmetal-FORGELINE ZX3p's w/345-25-20's P-Zero in full tubs.
AirBar Suspended!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 13, 04:43 PM
John

Garage

18x12 with 335's

That's my vote

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 13, 05:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jon

Actually my tubs will fit up to a 12'' rim with a 13'' section. I chose the 10'' now but did narrow the rear for both options.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 13, 05:32 PM
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
18x12 with 335's

That's my vote

That looks tough.

Lots of Neon's

Harley NRS
85 K30
Trx250r
69 Camaro: Under Construction again
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 13, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech
mike

I have 275-60-15's, non tubbed they are drag radials. I have a 496 procharged with gobs of hp. Off the line is tough to hook up but I am getting better at it. What are the reasons for tubbing it? Mine is a convertible so I really do would not want to put all that power to the ground, it might twist the car. That is why I did not tub mine but as shown above it does look cool!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 13, 09:06 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Your car,your tastes......personallyI like it with as wide a tire that fits the stock body. The only reason I see to go bigger is to get better traction. Do you need better traction?Is expense no option?(wow that would b awseome)Jeff
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 13, 09:33 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 yenko View Post
Your car,your tastes......personallyI like it with as wide a tire that fits the stock body. The only reason I see to go bigger is to get better traction. Do you need better traction?Is expense no option?(wow that would b awseome)Jeff
Mine does fit the stock "body"

And I still will not have traction
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 13, 09:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CAMARO496 View Post
Obviously if it is a original SS,Z28,COPO ect. you do not want to do that, but if not mini tub it, i love the look of mine
I agree... If it's something special I wouldn't do it.
Otherwise, I say "go for it". It really doesn't affect 'the look' of the classic anyway.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 13, 10:06 AM
Tech Team
Alex

What's the widest rim you can fit in the stock oem, untubbed wheel wells? 10s? Depending on offset?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 13, 05:06 PM
Senior Tech
Don

One thing i think you may want to keep in mind is how will the car handle with the bigger tires in the rear?The reason i say this is because i know of guys who have tubbed cars(Pro street),and they tell me that they have issues with handling on paved roads that have deep grooves in the road surface,not so much on concrete.And of course i'm speaking of Michigan roads which are poorly maintained or not at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode