Most wheel combinations? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Most wheel combinations?

I was 21 in 1969 and as I recall most of the Camaros came with whitewalls and full size hubcaps. You would not be caught with those small dog dish hubcaps. Of course the baby moons were cheap and very popular as well, I put the chrome reverse wheels on my Impala because most guys did'nt want that small girls car. . . .the Camaro! Guess that is why the Chevelle outsold the Camaro by twice as much. . . .oh how time changes things. . .since then I have had 35 Camaros. . . .what is your story?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 13, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

Re: Most wheel combinations?

Any comments guys? Maybe I am the only old guy out ther that remembers when the Camaro came out and what was on the lots. . . .even 25% were 6 bangers!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 13, 05:59 AM
Senior Tech

I was born in 1972. I remember driving in my father's Impalla which he traded a 69 Camaro in on. While I am one of those heathens that likes modern wheels on old cars, I also appreciate the stock stuff. For the record I really dig dog dish hubcaps.

67 With a few things bolted to it
98 Z28 That needs love
12 SS With a few things bolted to it
50 Chevy With a few things unbolted from it
RJ USAF
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 13, 02:21 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Moons were a little before my time. I recall my older brother and his buddies Rods with the moon look. In my heyday (teen angel yrs) 5 spoke, either Cragar, Appliance, or Western, in that order, were the most popular choice. Slotted mags were common too. Dad never did replace the Dog Dish caps on their 68. I was forced to run stock wheels & DD caps on my first car (67) for a 3-4 months (seemed like years) until $$$ was saved for some Cragars.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 13, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

I got my license in 1978. In Massachusetts, first gen Camaros were still plentiful, though a bit rusty. For my first car, it was deep dish Cragars, knock-off spinner caps, and GT Qualifiers with raised white letter tires. ... Fast forward to the present, I have a 69 with Rallys and RWL tires. ... On deck, 14" N66 wheels waiting for time and RWL tires.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 13, 03:39 PM
Team Member
James

born in 74. my first car was a 56 chevy bel air my dad bought in 70 for $25. he gave to me for my 16th birthday. never driven in the winter. i remember when i replaced the bias ply tires with radials for the first time! wow, like a brand new car! still have the car but needs a full rotisserie now. too busy with the my 68 vert. my Dad had a 62 impala super sport when i was growing up as well. he bought it in 66. he had a 61 impala, two 55 bel air's you name it! sad, if we only had all those cars now!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 13, 04:05 PM
Team Member
Ty

Born in 63. At age 14 my dad, who owned a auto repair shop, bought me a 67 Ralley Sport. It was sort of a light brown/gold original color. Had a 327 and a power glide tranny. It was red with a vinyl top by the time I got to age 16, it had 10.5:1 pop up pistons and a lumpy cam. It had the stink bug look. By the time I was a junior in HS I just could not stop admiring the 2nd Gen Camaros that were out. I thought mine was junk..fast, but junk cuz it was old. I wish I still had the 67.

Now at age 50, I have a 69 and a 2nd gen. Both 100% restored. My circle is complete.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 13, 07:29 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Born in 63, I looked for wheels for a very long time and finaly l found what I was looking for. The cragar, Rader and I think fenton wheels of this same desighn as I have currently on my 67 from what I can find were insprired by the 67 Camaro optional wheel cover.

I love these wheels and the cool thing about them is I have never seen them on another Camaro. 15 inch is what I had to stay with myself.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 1st, 13, 08:34 PM

I had to reply to this thread. I was blown away when I saw the first picture of the hubcaps on the red Camaro. I bought my 1967 camaro RS in 1985. Still have it and am 99.9% complete on the restoration. My camaro came with the exact same hubcaps in 14" They are in excellent shape and I also have never seen another camaro with the same hubcaps. For the last 26 years, all my buddies have bugged me to get rid of the hubcaps and put mags, centercaps, whatever else is out there to replace. I just don't want to. They are cool. Thanks so much for the pic, finally someone else that likes the old original parts.

Cool.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 13, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bruce

After the 70 Chevelle, I bought a 71 Impala custom coupe, Copper, White top and interior with skirts and the cone shaped wire simulated hub caps that weighed a ton. Of course it had whitwalls. What a great car (boat) and kept it for about 10 years as the family car. The second car(s) changed every few years from a few first gens and trans ams. Now at 65, and 66 cars later the fleet is 9, with 4 69 Camaros, a 99 Z vert, 69 SS Chevelle, 69 C-10 custom SW PU, 05 C6 and a 09 STS, V8 of course! What fun hey guys!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 13, 04:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bester View Post
I had to reply to this thread. I was blown away when I saw the first picture of the hubcaps on the red Camaro. I bought my 1967 camaro RS in 1985. Still have it and am 99.9% complete on the restoration. My camaro came with the exact same hubcaps in 14" They are in excellent shape and I also have never seen another camaro with the same hubcaps. For the last 26 years, all my buddies have bugged me to get rid of the hubcaps and put mags, centercaps, whatever else is out there to replace. I just don't want to. They are cool. Thanks so much for the pic, finally someone else that likes the old original parts.

Cool.
I have 'em too on my 67 RS. RPO N96. They fooled somebody enough that one of the fake nuts is broken!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1367494726.530526.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	33452

1967 RS 327/275hp
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 13, 05:07 AM
Senior Tech

Joe, I like those wheels a lot. I'm all over the map. I like stock, stock inspired and I have this.

Wasn't there a COPO car that had dogdishes? I can see the pic, it was a white car and it turns me on everytime I think about it. Understated but brutal. Don't recall what it was for sure, but I remember it was one of the "special" cars.

67 With a few things bolted to it
98 Z28 That needs love
12 SS With a few things bolted to it
50 Chevy With a few things unbolted from it
RJ USAF
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 13, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Your 68 looks fiercely badazz!! I was all over the place when looking at wheels myself. I wanted 17's for a while and only found a few wheels I liked, the price was high and them to have a brake upgrade for them look their best.

Then I spotted that hubcap and thought WOW!!! That is really cool and remembered seeing wheels like them so the hunt was on I had to have set of them!!

I looked all oer the web, ebay you name it for the old wheels and could only find two. I could not find the hub caps anyplace. I stubbled across the cragar website and was looking at the SS wheels and the "Eliminator" is listed there. I called them and could not buy them so I called Summit, they had no idea what I was talking about. The customer service from Cragar to sell me set of wheels was great, they called Summit put me on a conference call with them and he walked the summit rep through finding them in the system, getting them into summits system and them Summit placed my order.....the great thing was the Cragar rep procced the order while on the phone to drop ship!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintQik View Post
Joe, I like those wheels a lot. I'm all over the map. I like stock, stock inspired and I have this.

Wasn't there a COPO car that had dogdishes? I can see the pic, it was a white car and it turns me on everytime I think about it. Understated but brutal. Don't recall what it was for sure, but I remember it was one of the "special" cars.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode