69 Camaro frt wheel and tire options(rubbing) - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 13, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeremy

Unhappy 69 Camaro frt wheel and tire options(rubbing)

I just added disc brakes to the frt of my 69 and now my tire or tires are rubbing on the fender. I have 225/50/17's on the frt with a 17X7 and a 4 in bs. It did not rub at all with the drum brakes... not even close. However with the disc brake setup, they say it moves the offset out 3/8" i didn't think that would add much but it does... My rear tire is a 255/50/17 and these frt tires offset the rear perfectly as far as height. I know my options are

a: get a 4.25 in backspacing wheel

b: trim the fender lip a bit on a restored Camaro

c: get a different sized tire

I like option C the best, but I am not sure what tire I could run on the frt without it looking stupid, or keep it from rubbing. My 225/50 sure isn't wide...

69 Camaro Finally restored. New 496, 700R4, 3200 stall, 3.90 12 bolt posi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 13, 09:27 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: 69 Camaro frt wheel and tire options(rubbing)

I'd look for some 4.25-4.5 backspace wheels or first have 0.5 degree negative camber put on it to see if that helps. If you take it to a shop and ask them to align it they'll do stock specs which is positive camber and tips the top of the tire out a little. I think you're going to be stuck looking for another wheel though... Even the old 7" rims with narrow (by today's standards) bias ply tires had 4.25" backspace.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 13, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
I'd look for some 4.25-4.5 backspace wheels or first have 0.5 degree negative camber put on it to see if that helps. If you take it to a shop and ask them to align it they'll do stock specs which is positive camber and tips the top of the tire out a little. I think you're going to be stuck looking for another wheel though... Even the old 7" rims with narrow (by today's standards) bias ply tires had 4.25" backspace.
Unfortunately I think you are right... i know I have heard people having troubles running these, but they fit my car perfect... with drum brakes that is... I will have a nice pair of 17X7 in American Racing Hopsters for sale...OR.. i could possibly run my rears up frt and get some 17X9.5's for the rear... but i think i would have to get new rear tires for those wheels.. Jeez.. i can't catch a break...

69 Camaro Finally restored. New 496, 700R4, 3200 stall, 3.90 12 bolt posi

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 13, 04:43 PM
Senior Tech
Kumar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYK2ROC View Post
I have 225/50/17's on the frt with a 17X7 and a 4 in bs. My rear tire is a 255/50/17 and these frt tires offset the rear perfectly as far as height.
this is the exact set up I just put on mine yesterday....not sure if i'm gonna rub yet, weather here has sucked for a few days

1969 RS/SS, rust free X-11 car, ZZ430 GMPP Crate Engine, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed Hurst Driveline conversion, Moser 12 bolt/3:73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode