Safe towing? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 26th, 13, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

Safe towing?

I have not been on the site in months and I have a question. I did not know where to post so I will start here.
I want to pull a small trailer with my 68 to shows etc. Nothing big, just canopy, weekend stuff. I want something that is safe @ 70 MPH, many I have looked at are 45-60. I am making a trailer hitch for the Camaro that will attach with pins, no welding. The maximum I would tow would be no more than 500 # . Just wondering if anyone out there is doing something along this line that could give me some advise.
Thanks,
gene68ss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 26th, 13, 06:19 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Safe towing?

Tires on the trailer! Watch that you don't go with those puny smaller tires that sometimes goes with some models . The smaller diams are just too small to handle those higher speeds for long periods.

I used to pull the smaller pop ups, but nothing's worse than going down the highway, and have the bearings go on them.

capt
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 26th, 13, 06:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

X2, The tires are what regulate the speed the trailer can go move up to the larger 13" or 14" tire and you will be fine. I am in the beginning stage at designing a hitch for my 67. I do not want to use the bumper as an attaching point the way the factory hitches were. The trailer is so key to go on trips and not be forced in having to take 2 cars. (wife & 2 kids). We needed space for a cooler and a Tuff box (waterproof) for our bags. I bought a Home Depot fold up trailer and re enforced the frame and tongue with steel then put galvanized large trailer tires. Bearing buddies or oil bath caps are a must! I would love to se your ideas on the hitch.

68 Cloned RS/SS w/ all the goodies.
67 Firebird w/ a Chevy 350
67 Camaro 6 cyl. 68,000 original miles
w/ wife & kids w/ the same addiction.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 26th, 13, 06:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

X2, The tires are what regulate the speed the trailer can go. Move up to the larger 13" or 14" tire and you will be fine. I am in the beginning stage at designing a hitch for my 67. I do not want to use the bumper as an attaching point the way the factory hitches were. The trailer is so key to go on trips and not be forced in having to take 2 cars. (wife & 2 kids). We needed space for a cooler and a Tuff box (waterproof) for our bags. I bought a Home Depot fold up trailer and re enforced the frame and tongue with steel then put galvanized rims & large trailer tires. Bearing buddies or oil bath caps are a must! I would love to se your ideas on the hitch.

68 Cloned RS/SS w/ all the goodies.
67 Firebird w/ a Chevy 350
67 Camaro 6 cyl. 68,000 original miles
w/ wife & kids w/ the same addiction.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 28th, 13, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

Will update you, I am struggling after knee replacement right now, trying to use my down time to do some thinking and design work. I want to come up with an easy on and off and have no visable signs of a hitch on the car when not towing. Thanks for the input.
gene68ss
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 28th, 13, 10:14 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Does your State DMV have any requirements for certification of towing attachments on vehicles? May not be an issue for you, and certainly not questioning your design/fabrication skills, but something to consider.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hitch, springs, tires, towing, trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode