Tires rubbing - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 13, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Tires rubbing

I have a 1967 Camaro which currently has 15x8 275R60 on the back and 15x7 225R60 on the front. The rims are the rally rim style which I really like.

When I hit a bump, I can hear the front tires scrape the bolts that hold the crome trim.

I did add multi-leafs in the rear, new shocks all the way around. I don't really want to go to a smaller tire.

What are viable options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 13, 08:09 PM
Senior Tech
Jerry McDaniel

Re: Tires rubbing

I had some rubbing in the front with 235's so I went to 215's and I still have some rubbing when I hit a dip. My problem I think is the offset. I have 15x7 rally wheels with 4in offset all the way around. I have replaced all the suspension parts but I am not happy with the shocks (Monroe) and the current springs ( summit), so I have ordered new Eaton front springs and new single leaf rear for standard height. I am thinking of going to KYB shocks all the way around. The summit springs seem really taught and not forgiving unless you hit a dip then they seem to really give and bounce back. I think the spring rate is wrong, plus the shop that did the work cut a coil as they originally sat to high and never settled or lowered. Once I replace again, I may look for rally's in the front with a different offset. What multi leafs did you use?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 13, 09:14 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

I know you mentioned that the tires were rubbing on the screws holding down the chrome trim but how about the bolts holding the fender to wheel well? Go to your local Ace Hardware and pick up some allen head Button Head bolts and that will gain you a little more clearance.

Gary

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 13, 09:22 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Running cragar eliminators (Old GT) 15x7 4.125 back space and 235 60 15 hotchkiss front springs. Rears are 15x8 4.5 inch back space 255 60 15 hotchkiss rear spings. I run button head bolts on the bottom of rear of the front fenders......I never rub even hitting my driveway fast at an angle. Monroe sensa-trak shocks on all four corners.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 13, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Thats what I was looking for. The offset on the rims is where I went wrong. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1967 camaro, rims, scraping, tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode