It's Alive 427 wheels Help! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 13, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

It's Alive 427 wheels Help!

Gentlemen,
I nearing the "end" of my build. Let's just call it phase 1. Fluids are in and car runs. One more hurdle to cross before I am cruising. I am aware of the wheels and tire forum in the site, however I have found it to be quite conflicting with vague information. I have a OE set up as follows:

Standard 4 wheel disc brake conversion kit from Ecklers
OE Big Block springs on FR
OE Multi leaf in RR
KYB Gas adjust shocks on the corners
Moser 12 bolt Rear

What is the maximum wheel/tire width and BS front and rear? My thoughts are below.

17" x 8" (4" BS) on FR with 235/40/17 BFG or similar

18" x 9 1/2" (5 1/2" BS) RR 265/40/18 BFG or similar

Any and all informed opinions are greatly appreciated. Taking the car to the muffler shop tomorrow and would love to be cruising to the 4th of July extravaganza in my ride! Check out the link below.

Thanks,

Then: 68 Convertible (Driver 2bb 210 hp) "Not for long!"

Now: GMPP ZZ427, TCI 700R4, Moser 12 Bolt. As the great Rick Flair would say, "Woooooo!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Prisnic; Jun 30th, 13 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 13, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

Re: It's Alive 427 wheels Help!

My ideal stance below. If this is your car, congratulations!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	35585  

Now: GMPP ZZ427, TCI 700R4, Moser 12 Bolt. As the great Rick Flair would say, "Woooooo!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 13, 10:40 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Wheels and Tires??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisnic View Post
Gentlemen,
I am aware of the wheels and tire forum in the site, however I have found it to be quite conflicting with vague information.
How much more insulting can you get? What on earth makes you think you will get different info posting in another forum? It's all the same folks posting in all the forums on this site! The site is set up kinda like a filing cabinet with folders to keep the topics separated to help folks find the answers they need!

I'm sure as soon as a moderator sees your post they will move it to Wheel and Tire and I bet they appreciate knowing you are already aware of the forum and just wanted to create work for them...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 13, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

I believe this is your quote from your signature! I am we'll aware of how the site works. I have checked that forum multiple times and have seen no changes in it. Your'e a real tough guy on the other end of some keyboard huh???? GET A LIFE!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 13, 10:55 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Don't take the quote out of context... It's not intended to say you can walk into a room and pi$$ on the floor just because you feel like it and everyone should shrug it off!! Actually I'm not a tough guy at all, just don't understand how someone can hand out an insult to the people that post here and ask for their help in the same breath!

...Dennis

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 13, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Mike

It was NOT my intention to insult anyone. What I meant to say was that not all the posts on there have all the information as far as set up. Some of the post give you info and no pics or pics and vague info. I can appreciate the effort and did see some helpful information. I was trying to confirm what I wanted and had not seen any recent post in that forum. Take it for what it's worth. People like you with to much time on their hands is what kills these forums.

Any and all who were INSULTED by my post, please accept my sincerest apologies.

PLEASE DELETE MY TTREAD AS I AM NOT ABLE FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 13, 12:00 PM
Retired
Jim

Mike the folks that might be considered 'gurus' about wheels and tires will always visit this 'wheel and tire' forum... they wont always visit the generic Tech forum looking to help folks with tire and wheel issues. As Dennis said, the folders are setup to help folks find the things that interest them. Others looking for similar advice will go to Wheel and Tire section first. Lets keep it civil and also in the right section from the beginning.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 13, 12:08 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisnic View Post

I believe this is your quote from your signature! I am we'll aware of how the site works. I have checked that forum multiple times and have seen no changes in it. Your'e a real tough guy on the other end of some keyboard huh???? GET A LIFE!

2012 CTSV Coupe 600HP
1969 Camaro 434 ci
2011 Corvette GS 530rwhp.
2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon My toy.
2008 C6 620HP
1967 Camaro 496
1969 Camaro 510CI.
1962 Chevy Impala Tube Chassis
1970 Chevelle LS6
1978 Camaro Z28 355CI
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 13, 01:13 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

So the magic number for fitting wheels and tires on a 1st gen is a positive 6 offset. That matches the factory 15x7 4.25 back spacing used on the '69 Z/28.

Take that plus 6 and apply it to what ever size wheel and it will center the wheel and tire in the wheel wells unless you have changes the stock suspension and axle geometry. It should be a good starting point even with your disc brake upgrade.

This link is in the first sticky thread at the top of this forum and will help you custom fit wheels and tires and there is an offset to backspacing chart that will save you from doing the math. https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html They even give you the formula if you want to do the math yourself...

There really isn't much to add, fitting tires is not new and the info is here for the taking... Oh you won't get the stance you like in that picture by adding wheels and tires, you'll need to replace your front and rear springs to drop the car down around what ever wheels and tires you decide to run.

...Dennis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode