Off the shelf wheels over gen 4 f body brakes on a 69 camaro? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 13, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Off the shelf wheels over gen 4 f body brakes on a 69 camaro?

Hey guys, what wheels will fit off the shelf on a 69 camaro with gen 4 f body brakes on all four points? I want either a 18x18 10 inch wide in the rear or a 19x20 or 21. All will be 10 inch wide in the rear. I have the boss 338 in mind but I want to see all my options. I DO NOT want spacers of any kind. I guess adapters maybe needed but wanna stay away from those things. Thanks in advance guys for the help.

69 Camaro coupe project link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 13, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Off the shelf wheels over gen 4 f body brakes on a 69 camaro?

Your wheel sizes aren't making much sense....

Which 4th gen brakes - 93-97 or 98-02? They were different, the 98-02 being bigger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 13, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Your wheel sizes aren't making much sense....

Which 4th gen brakes - 93-97 or 98-02? They were different, the 98-02 being bigger.

Sorry I got ripped on one site for saying ls brakes so I changed to gen 4 brakes. I forgot they differed in those years. I am using brakes from a 98-02 f body. What about the wheel sizes didnt make sense? I want either 18" all the way around, 19x20 or 19x21, even a 18x20 would be doable. The rears must be 10" wide. I know the 19x21 might be wishful thinking but I was hurt throwing if out there. I think msr wheels are cool I would consider some of they're styles. I am trying to see what wheels people that did the brake conversion are using and seeing what is a viable option.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 13, 08:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Hey Anthony, not on-topic but I just saw a '69 Camaro in the Bay Area on Craigslist for sale with a license plate that says gray ghost. Coincidence?

1967 350, Hurst TKO 600 5 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, RS added

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 13, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Lol, purely!! Can you post the link? I wanna see it! Was it a nice car?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 13, 10:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

What are the chances?! Crazy. Take a look at the plate:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/3933093567.html

1967 350, Hurst TKO 600 5 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, RS added

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 13, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Carl View Post
What are the chances?! Crazy. Take a look at the plate:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/3933093567.html

Wow that is really funny, it's even a 350 4 spd car. No that's not mines tho. My car has an ss hood isn't painted yet and has the rs package on it. It's a decent looking car tho. It looks familiar but the east bay is a really big place. That's funny tho. I don't intend on selling my car at all. I just want to drive her. That's really it. Thanks for the concern tho. I hope he has good luck and gets what he wants for the car.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 13, 03:44 AM
Senior Tech
claes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GreyGhost View Post
Sorry I got ripped on one site for saying ls brakes so I changed to gen 4 brakes. I forgot they differed in those years. I am using brakes from a 98-02 f body. What about the wheel sizes didnt make sense? I want either 18" all the way around, 19x20 or 19x21, even a 18x20 would be doable. The rears must be 10" wide. I know the 19x21 might be wishful thinking but I was hurt throwing if out there. I think msr wheels are cool I would consider some of they're styles. I am trying to see what wheels people that did the brake conversion are using and seeing what is a viable option.
There are no wheels that are 19x20 or 18x20 ? At least not that would fit 69 ? 19x8 or 18x8 maybe ? How are you measuring these ? The first number is diameter the second number is width but after that you still need to deal with backspacing .
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 13, 04:58 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Stock and not mini tubbed you're limited to around 8" wide on the front and 9.5" on the rear. You might be able to do 10" on the rear if you turn it into a hardtail.

The reason Al said your wheel sizes do not make sense is that when you say 19x20 that is a wheel that is wider than it is tall, 19" diameter and 20" wide. That would fully fill the rear wheel well plus stick out another 9" on the side. In other words, it would be about like if these two were one tire/wheel.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 13, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede1969 View Post
There are no wheels that are 19x20 or 18x20 ? At least not that would fit 69 ? 19x8 or 18x8 maybe ? How are you measuring these ? The first number is diameter the second number is width but after that you still need to deal with backspacing .

I was using the first number as the front wheel size and the second number as the rear wheel size. I want an 8 inch wide tire in the front and a 10 inch wide tire in the rear. That's what I was speaking of, sorry I made a mistake with using the x.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 13, 06:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
I was using the first number as the front wheel size and the second number as the rear wheel size. I want an 8 inch wide tire in the front and a 10 inch wide tire in the rear. That's what I was speaking of, sorry I made a mistake with using the x.
A 10" wide tire won't need a 10" wide wheel; it would be more like 8" to 8.5" for a 10" wide tire. Browse some tire manufacturer sites and see what wheel sizes they recommend for the tires sizes you want to run.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 13, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Pretty sure TC member Andrew69 has 16" AR TTIIs - which are noted for not having much spoke clearance - with 98-02 Camaro brakes front & rear.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 13, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Pretty sure TC member Andrew69 has 16" AR TTIIs - which are noted for not having much spoke clearance - with 98-02 Camaro brakes front & rear.

First of Al I wanted to say to you that your drop 69 is really nice! I loved the rs conversion, what electric kit did you use? Good job tho, I sent Drew a pm asking him about the wheels. If what you say is correct I am positive that either the msr's I want or the boss 338 wheels will work. That was really helpful! Thanks!!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 13, 12:55 PM
Team Member
Ty

Quote:
I believe 18x8 will work in front with no rubbing issues. 18x10 might rub on the back. I have 18.9.5 and had to roll the fenders. You need 5.5 backspacing in the rear.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 13, 01:40 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
First of Al I wanted to say to you that your drop 69 is really nice! I loved the rs conversion, what electric kit did you use? Good job tho, I sent Drew a pm asking him about the wheels. If what you say is correct I am positive that either the msr's I want or the boss 338 wheels will work. That was really helpful! Thanks!!
Thanks for the kind words Anthony. I made my own elec system. The motors have been changed since this picture (and the underside cleaned and painted!) - using motors from a late 80's Toyota Celica, and a control module from a Ponty-whack Firebird, around 98 as I recall. Member Mat Klemp helped with the control module.

Click for video

Now....back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode