Length of Lugs? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 13, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Length of Lugs?

Question:

I have a '68 with the standard ralley wheels. With the lug nuts tightened down on the front wheels some of the nuts are only half way on. It seems like the length of the lugs are short. ???
How far down do the lug nuts need to be threaded onto the lugs to be safe?

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 13, 02:26 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Re: Length of Lugs?

hmm, sounds like some have been replaced with the incorrect length. I'd say there should be enough thread on each lug to at least fill each nut...

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 13, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech
Al

At a minimum the lugnuts should engage enough threads to equal the diameter of the wheel stud. If you have the standard 7/16-20 (20 threads per inch) wheel studs that would mean at least 9 complete turns on each lugnut, let's call it 10 to be safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 13, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
At a minimum the lugnuts should engage enough threads to equal the diameter of the wheel stud.
That's the minimum for passing tech at an NHRA track.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 13, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Thanks for the info!
I measured the length of the studs and they are all 3/4 of an inch.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 13, 01:38 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

In your original post, you mention "some nuts are only half way on". Sorry, but I gotta assume some studs have been replaced. Are these drum or disc ? I just measured my old drums and the studs are 1" long. Don't recall what my replacement disc hubs are but I do know the studs are long enough to utilize all threads on the nuts.

But, if only half the threads are good enough for NHRA, I guess it must be safe enough for any car....?

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 13, 05:45 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post

But, if only half the threads are good enough for NHRA, I guess it must be safe enough for any car....?
This is important enough to revisit. My choice of words may have left the wrong impression. NHRA rules require that the stud extend into THE HEX PORTION of the nut at least the distance equal to the diameter of the stud. For example, if you are using a wheel that has an extra thick hub dimension, such as a Weld, using "only half the threads" instead of reaching half-an-inch into the hex portion of the nut is an important distinction. Be sure that you understand the intent of the rule! Losing a wheel under power is serious business.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 13, 01:41 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Thanks for the clarification.

Measuring a stock, original lug nut in round numbers, they're only about 1/2" deep overall. 3/8" on hex portion.... Given stock 7/16 studs, it would seem anything less than a full threaded lug nut would NOT be permissible by NHRA rules...?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 13, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
Thanks for the clarification.

Measuring a stock, original lug nut in round numbers, they're only about 1/2" deep overall. 3/8" on hex portion.... Given stock 7/16 studs, it would seem anything less than a full threaded lug nut would NOT be permissible by NHRA rules...?
I would agree with your statement. Stock studs and tapered lug nuts are really not the norm in today's competitive world. We've been using a minimum of 1/2-20 studs, especially on drive axles for many, many years. Open-ended lug nuts were originally required to help prevent unsafe combinations of short studs and thick wheels, essentially protecting us from ourselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode