Hub Centric Rings? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 13, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Hub Centric Rings?

Hi all. I'm looking to pick up some rally wheels from JEGS.

Here:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Wheel-Vintique...34044/10002/-1

And here:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Wheel-Vintique...34042/10002/-1

I've read on quite a few threads that the WV wheels are lug centric, and I don't need any additional shaking at higher speeds, as I just got my driveshaft balanced and its running smoothly.

I've also read that hub centric rings installed with the wheels would eliminate any error in balancing or installation.

So, first off, are these hub centric rings worth a hoot? And secondly, if so, can anyone point me in the right direction as to which rings would work for these wheels? I've done a few searches and it seems like there are lots of these from which to choose.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 13, 08:52 PM
Banned
Chet

Re: Hub Centric Rings?

You do NOT need hub rings. You won't believe it but I'll say it anyway. Factory wheels are lug centric. Take a set of dial calipers or a scale and measure the hub bore on your stock wheels. Measure the hub. Is there more than .015 of an inch difference? Yes, there is. Do your lug nuts have tapered bottoms? Yes, they do. They are lug centric. When you were growing up, did you ever see people running hub rings with their mag wheels? No. Those wheels were and are lug centric.

Have the wheels balanced properly with the "fingers" on the balancing machine, torque the wheels to the proper setting with car off ground, and enjoy your new wheels.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 13, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Thanks Chet. Honestly, I never gave it a thought until I read a few posts about it on the forum.

Same principle as when I had a DLP television. I really enjoyed the new technology at the time for the money, until I read an article about 'some people' were able to see a rainbow effect, as a result of the DLP head and the way that it projected images. So what happened, now that I was aware, I started looking for it, and turned a non-issue into something that bothered me to the point that I had to return the set.

That said, I hear what you are saying. If what is being said is true, then every after market wheel being sold basically is 'lug centric', yet there is not a massive outcry of vibrating vehicles that can be attributed to new wheels.

Of course, had to ask though. The hub rings are relatively inexpensive, and probably wouldn't hurt either way.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 13, 05:27 AM
Banned
Chet

No sweat, Chad. Here's the deal on rings. You don't want to buy the aluminum ones. React with the steel of your wheels and can corrode rather quickly. So now you buy the plastic ones. Would you or any other sane Camaro owner think that a plastic ring is going to bear the weight of their Camaro like the hub would on a true hub-centric wheel? Of course not. What hub rings do is make it easier to be center the wheel before you start tightening the lug bolts, but it's still the lug bolts that are centering the wheel. Only factory wheel that comes to mind that are hub centric are the 60's Vette wheels that were held on the hub by on big spinner nut where you put the tire on, spun the big nut onto the hub, and then they'd knock on of the spinner ears with a rubber mallet to make sure its tight. There could be more, but you get the point.

Turning non-issues into issues is what the internet is famous for. Anybody can write anything and there is no credibility check you can do on them. Case in point, I scored a killer deal on a TPI off of '88 Vette. Complete with everything but the computer. Love the looks of them polished and it will look killer and different under the hood of my Camaro. Now I start reading all the posts from all the "experts" on the web. "Can't run it with this cam", "Won't make power past this point", "Will make power past that point", "MAF is best", "MAP is best", yada yada yada. Put an ad up to sell it then I called one of the places that specialize in TPI and fuel injection and they provided the real info. Now I'm keeping it and going with my original plan.

Forums like these are fun but should only serve as one source of info. You're better off talking to the people who make their living selling and servicing the product in question, they know. To put your mind at ease on lug centric wheels, I have asked my buddy who has managed a Goodyear tire store and a Firestone tire store for over thirty years, a GM Service Manager of over forty years, and a GM engineer of twenty years about lug centric wheels.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 13, 06:06 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

X2 that the lugs center the rim/wheel on the axle/hub. I suppose having one hub ring (aluminum, not plastic) could be useful if one had a static bubble balancer that uses the cone of the balancer to center the rim/wheel on the balancing rig, but then again, the ring is is just making the center opening of the rim/wheel slightly smaller so probably wouldn't matter either way?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 13, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

All the same, a wheel that has a very close fit between hub and hub bore will reduce the amount of bending (flex) that the wheel studs will encounter.

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 13, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Thanks Chet. I get it. So basically, the rings set a spacing template for the wheel to fit against the hub, so that the lugs tighten down in the correct position. There is no other function in terms of wheel servicability.

That said, it seems that any place that balances and installs these wheels would use the same method as a standard when installing correct? Especially if virtually all aftermarket wheels are lug centric. It would seem that if one is having vibration after balancing/installation, then they need to take it back as it was not done properly.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 13, 10:39 AM
Banned
Chet

Correct. Just had my new WV rallys balanced. They used the proper "finger" adapter. Operator said they balanced beautifully. This is going to be one of those things that you need to put out of your mind. You're going to be looking for vibration and might "sense" it but there is none.

Tight wheels to proper torque with tires off ground and should be no problem. Let the lug nut tapers do the job they were designed for.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 13, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Chet,

Can you tell me which size WV rallys you bought and which trim rings you purchased? I'm looking for 2 15x7's and 2 15x8's in the WV 30 series from JEGS or Summit, and am not sure which are the correct trim rings to go with each size. I've read in other posts that the trim ring part numbers are a little jacked up.

thanks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 13, 04:43 PM
Banned
Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
Chet,

Can you tell me which size WV rallys you bought and which trim rings you purchased? I'm looking for 2 15x7's and 2 15x8's in the WV 30 series from JEGS or Summit, and am not sure which are the correct trim rings to go with each size. I've read in other posts that the trim ring part numbers are a little jacked up.

thanks.
15 x 8 on all four corners. Using my original GM trim rings for Corvette Rallys.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 13, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Thanks Chet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode