Wheel Vintique Trim Ring Sizes? Advice Needed. - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 13, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Wheel Vintique Trim Ring Sizes? Advice Needed.

Hi all. For all of you that have Wheel Vintiques Rally wheels, I'm looking to purchase the WV 30 series from JEGS or Summit, in both 15x7 (4.25" BS) and 15x8 (4.5" BS) sizes. I'm trying to figure out which trim rings go with each sizes, as the part numbers and descriptions are a little confusing from both sites.

Does a 15x7 typically take a 2.5" ring, and does a 15x8 typically take a 3" ring? If so, it seems that the WV rings are a little short?

Any opinions/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 13, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Re: Wheel Vintique Trim Ring Sizes? Advice Needed.

Chad, they are a little short. It's going to come down to how you want it too look. The 15x7 rings are the step lip design used on Camaros,and will look ok up front,but they will leave a sizable gap from the inside of of the ring to the wheel center. And a huge gap if you put them on the rear wheels.
The 15x8 rings are the rounded design used on Corvettes and do look a slight bit off on a Camaro imo. However as for fitting on the wheels,a 15x8 ring will fit very nicely on a 15x7 wheel leaving almost no gap from the ring to the wheel center,but in the rear there will be a gap due to the deeper wheel. Hope that makes sense.
I just went through all of this a couple of years ago. The problem is that nobody makes the step lip design ring for a 15x8 wheel,so you either have to go with the rounded Corvette style or the 15x7 which is not near deep enough for a 15x8 wheel.
After I discovered that the 15x8 ring fit 15x7 wheels I used the 15x8 ring all the way around.

'69 Camaro, w/'67 L30 327 .030, L79 cam, 700DP, M20, 3.73 12 Bolt
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 13, 08:09 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by L30 327 View Post
Chad, they are a little short. It's going to come down to how you want it too look. The 15x7 rings are the step lip design used on Camaros,and will look ok up front,but they will leave a sizable gap from the inside of of the ring to the wheel center. And a huge gap if you put them on the rear wheels.
The 15x8 rings are the rounded design used on Corvettes and do look a slight bit off on a Camaro imo. However as for fitting on the wheels,a 15x8 ring will fit very nicely on a 15x7 wheel leaving almost no gap from the ring to the wheel center,but in the rear there will be a gap due to the deeper wheel. Hope that makes sense.
I just went through all of this a couple of years ago. The problem is that nobody makes the step lip design ring for a 15x8 wheel,so you either have to go with the rounded Corvette style or the 15x7 which is not near deep enough for a 15x8 wheel.
After I discovered that the 15x8 ring fit 15x7 wheels I used the 15x8 ring all the way around.
Good info! Do you have pics of either combo? I'm curious how the shallow stepped trim rings look on an 8" wheel?

Kelvin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

certified gearhead
1969 RS Z/28

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 13, 01:43 PM
Tech Team

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=390222935821

I found these on flea Bay. They don't have the right clips but they look pretty close to the Camaro trim rings. Anyone had any experience with these?

Kelvin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

certified gearhead
1969 RS Z/28
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 13, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxg00w0pilot View Post
Good info! Do you have pics of either combo? I'm curious how the shallow stepped trim rings look on an 8" wheel?
Chad, I do have pics. of the front 15x7 wheel,but not any of the rear. here is the 3" ring on the front. Note how there is almost no gap and the slots reflect nicely.
and here is the 2 1/2. There is at least a 1/2" gap here, so if this was a 8" wheel the gap would be about 1 1/2 and that starts to look not so good.
If you put the 2 1/2 ring on a 15x8 wheel the gap gets pretty wide and does not look very good imo.
The rings that Kelvin linked look very interesting and might be worth a try. I guess if you didn't like them you could sent them back.

Last edited by L30 327; Aug 27th, 13 at 03:05 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 13, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Thanks for the pics Eric. I called JEGS, Summit, and Wheels Vintique to get some kind of accurate answer. I came up with this. The 15x7's get the WVI-3001-A-1 rings, and the 15x8 gets the WVI-3002-1. The Wheels Vintique guy I spoke with seemed to be very knowledgeable. He said the 15x7 ring would be flush, but the 15x8 ring would have about a 1/4" gap. No way around that it seems with any manufacturer. I've read other posts where only certain rings will mount to the WV wheels, so didn't want to take a chance with an ebay offering.

The amount of rings that Wheels Vintiques offers for both OEM and after market wheels is extremely confusing, so I crossed referenced a few different customer service recommendations.

The only one that differed from all three above, was Coker Tire, who recommended their 3" ring for both front and back. Even they had a bunch of different ones. They are however more expensive than Summit and JEGS, and charge a $100 shipping fee on top of it all, so had to cross them off of the list. I still think that their offering was the same as Wheels Vintique, just badged differently.

Anyway, hope this helps someone, and thanks again for the responses.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 13, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Yea, I ended up using the wider 3" ring all the way around because I really liked the fit in the front. If you use 2 1/2 in front and 3" in the rear you end up with rings that don't match front to rear and I didn't like that.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 13, 06:44 PM
Tech Team

Thanks Eric
It was me that asked for the pics. Thanks for posting them.

Kelvin

certified gearhead
1969 RS Z/28
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 13, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

When I get them, I'll check em out and see. I definitely wouldn't be putting a 2.5" ring on a 15x8, but I'm not sure that I'll send one back because of a 1/4" gap with the 3" ring, but we'll see.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 13, 10:22 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxg00w0pilot View Post
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=390222935821

I found these on flea Bay. They don't have the right clips but they look pretty close to the Camaro trim rings. Anyone had any experience with these?
I emailed the seller and he said the 3" rings have a smooth lip like everyone else. The pics they posted are deceiving

Kelvin

certified gearhead
1969 RS Z/28
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 13, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Send a message via AIM to Craig1969 Send a message via MSN to Craig1969 Send a message via Yahoo to Craig1969

3" rings on 7" vintiques. Shown with both style caps.

Prepare to be the center of attention when you drive a first generation Camaro. You will be gawked at. Grown men & women will coo like children when you drive past. Children will scream like babies. Dogs & cats will get along. Does it get any better?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 13, 11:34 AM
Tech Team

Thanks for the pics Craig. Nice looking ride. If you don't mind, what size rear tire and rim are you running?

Kelvin

certified gearhead
1969 RS Z/28
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 13, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Those look great Craig. Do you know the model number of the 3" ring that you have from Wheels Vintiques? Was it the WVI 3002-1?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 13, 01:54 AM
Senior Tech
Garth

Alright, who ticked SS68 off ? First he deletes his pix, now he won't answer questions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
When I get them, I'll check em out and see. I definitely wouldn't be putting a 2.5" ring on a 15x8, but I'm not sure that I'll send one back because of a 1/4" gap with the 3" ring, but we'll see.
Chad, would appreciate pics when get your new trim rings, please...

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 13, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfields Maro View Post
Chad, would appreciate pics when get your new trim rings, please...
Will do Garth. I'm going to get them mounted most likely on Saturday. I'll take some then and post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode