Tire Size - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 13, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jerry

Tire Size

I am looking to replace the tires on my 1967RS which are currently 215/70-14 and are on Centerline rims. I was looking to replace with a 225/70-14 and concerned that there might be tire rub issue. I just installed Moog 6308 springs and new shocks to help eliminate any problems. I would like to hear from anyone that have the 225's and any problems and suggestions.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 13, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: Tire Size

I just ordered some 225/70/15's to take place of my 215/70/15 on the front with a 7" wheel and 4.25" BS. I'm running 235/70/15's on the back with an 8" wheel and 4.5" BS. I don't anticipate any rubbing. I also just installed Moog 6308's as well, which raised the front end an inch.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 13, 05:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Most likely fine. What's the offset on those Centerlines?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 13, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jerry

Not sure what the offset is,they have been on the car since the late 80's. Is there way to figure out the offset.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 13, 02:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaynes View Post
Not sure what the offset is,they have been on the car since the late 80's. Is there way to figure out the offset.
Just remove the wheel and see if there are some numbers printed on the back side of the rim. If not, place the wheel face down, lay a flat edge across the wheel (not the tire, just the rim itself), and measure from the flat edge to the wheel hub and that will give you your backspacing.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 13, 02:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Like this:

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 13, 04:08 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

I have 8" centerlines on the front with 215-65-r15
the back is 10" with 295-50-r15
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 13, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jerry

Checked the offset as suggested and it measured 3-1/2" would there be any problem with tire rub. Also found a set of Cooper Cobra's at a reasonably internet price, does anyone have any information on these tires.
Thanks
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 13, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

that is the tires I run on my car . I like them
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 13, 05:02 PM
Tech Team

I am wondering the same thing. I currently have 235- 60R/14s on my 67 RS. I have rubbing on my frame.

I wanted to go to a 70 series tire to fill out the wheel well a little better. The best size for this is 2250 70/14s.

Am running a deep dish 7" wheel, not sure my offset, but I got the least I could last time I bought tires- to clear the tie rod ends. Before I went with the deep dish wheels, the tie rod ends were running into the sidewalls.

JHaynes, would love to hear how it works out.

67 RS Convertible, 327/210hp, 4spd. Granada Gold, Deluxe interior (black).
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 13, 06:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaynes View Post
Checked the offset as suggested and it measured 3-1/2" would there be any problem with tire rub. Also found a set of Cooper Cobra's at a reasonably internet price, does anyone have any information on these tires.
Thanks
Are those 7" rims? 6", 8"? You need to know the width of the rim, the back spacing (offset) of the rim, and the tire size. If you don't know all three, you are just guessing.

With that said, with 3.5" back spacing you will have plenty of clearance on the subframe with any of those widths, it's just a matter of fender clearance.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 13, 06:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Gold View Post
I am wondering the same thing. I currently have 235- 60R/14s on my 67 RS. I have rubbing on my frame.

I wanted to go to a 70 series tire to fill out the wheel well a little better. The best size for this is 2250 70/14s.

Am running a deep dish 7" wheel, not sure my offset, but I got the least I could last time I bought tires- to clear the tie rod ends. Before I went with the deep dish wheels, the tie rod ends were running into the sidewalls.

JHaynes, would love to hear how it works out.
If a 235/60/14 rubs on the inside, a 225/70/14 should be worse. Even though it's narrower, it's a fair amount taller and will hit the frame sooner.

Time for new wheels or spacers.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 13, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jerry

Is anyone running the 225/r70-14 and if so what problems are you having? Any suggestions on the best tire size for the 14" rims?
Thanks
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 13, 04:28 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I am running 225-70-14 on a stock 14" rally wheel and stock springs. The tires rub and they look too tall for the 69. My other 69 has 235-60 on 15 vette wheels and works fine. I would check out 235-60-14. . . .you can go to tire rack and get the demensions on all the sizes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode