Shopping for wheels and tires. Questions about fitment, etc. - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 13, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Shopping for wheels and tires. Questions about fitment, etc.

1968 base camaro.

Looking at these: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...ed&showRear=no

Sport Muscle Nitro 5.

I'm thinking I'll go 17x7 in the front with 225/45-17 tires and rears will be 18x8.5 with 235/40R18's.

First off will they fit? I'm most concerned with the front. I already cut 2 coils off the front springs to bring it down a bit. Car has a nice stance now with 14x7 American Racing Outlaw II's. The OD's are the same so the stance should remain the same.

The front backspacing will be 4.17" and the rear will be 4.45". I can add spacers to bring the wheels out but obviously can't bring them in any. The front brakes are 72 nova discs. Rears are stock drums. The current wheels rub some on hard bumps but I think the tire OD is too large and the offset on them push the tires out too far. This set up should bring them in about 1/4" which should, in theory, stop the rubbing on the top of the wheel well under full compression.

This is tireracks' "view on vehicle": http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...d=true&sw=1366

Thoughts? Right now the car only has a 6er but hopefully this winter will get a bump in power to the 450-500 hp range and, well, the tires on there now won't hold that power very well...

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Re: Shopping for wheels and tires. Questions about fitment, etc.

Does anyone know of any pics of a car with 18's in the back and 17's in the front? I can't seem to find one...

Sold:
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 06:59 PM
Rick

If this picture uploaded, it shows my 68 with 17 x 7 front wheels and 18 x 9 rear wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 90.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	45650  

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Thanks! That's what I thought it would look like. I now want to go that route even more!

What size tires, offset and, most importantly, does it rub?

Sold:
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 06:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Send a message via Yahoo to Wazoo151

What's your budget? I bought mine from Rushforth, 2-piece forged, and Jason was a real pleasure to deal with.

67 SS under construction
10:1 383, TKO600, Moser 4.11 12 bolt, Hotchkis, Rushforths, Flaming River, etc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 06:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
1968 base camaro.

Looking at these: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...ed&showRear=no

Sport Muscle Nitro 5.

I'm thinking I'll go 17x7 in the front with 225/45-17 tires and rears will be 18x8.5 with 235/40R18's.

First off will they fit? I'm most concerned with the front. I already cut 2 coils off the front springs to bring it down a bit. Car has a nice stance now with 14x7 American Racing Outlaw II's. The OD's are the same so the stance should remain the same.

The front backspacing will be 4.17" and the rear will be 4.45". I can add spacers to bring the wheels out but obviously can't bring them in any. The front brakes are 72 nova discs. Rears are stock drums. The current wheels rub some on hard bumps but I think the tire OD is too large and the offset on them push the tires out too far. This set up should bring them in about 1/4" which should, in theory, stop the rubbing on the top of the wheel well under full compression.

This is tireracks' "view on vehicle": http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...d=true&sw=1366

Thoughts? Right now the car only has a 6er but hopefully this winter will get a bump in power to the 450-500 hp range and, well, the tires on there now won't hold that power very well...
Those wheels/tires should fit fine. The BS on the front is just about perfect. Ideally the rears should be 5", but with a 235 or 245 you won't have any problem with 4.5" BS. You might even squeeze a 255 on there, but anything wider might be pushing it on the wheel well opening.

If you really think you're going to end up in the 450-500hp range, 235's aren't going to stand a chance with street tires.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
If this picture uploaded, it shows my 68 with 17 x 7 front wheels and 18 x 9 rear wheels.
Rick - Are your wheels the Torque Thrust II chromes?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 07:14 AM
Team Member
Ty

Quote:
Very nice looking ride. Good stance.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 10:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

I rotated Rick's photo so it would be on level ground. Definitely a nice stance, and a great looking Camaro. I had thought about 17's and 18's on mine, but eventually decided on 18's all the way around.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 05:01 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
One of the nicest I've seen on the forum. I'm sure that you are enjoying it!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 06:41 PM
Rick

The tires are BFG Sport Comps. 225/45 front and 255/40 rear. 4.5" backspace on the 7 inch fronts, I have front disk brakes. 4" back spacing on the 9" rears. The rear backspacing works because I have a differential out of a 67 Nova which is 1 1/8" narrower on each side. Even with the Hotchkis lowering springs front and back, I have absolutely no rubbing.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 06:45 PM
Rick

Chad, the wheels are Billet Specialties Daggers. Polished aluminum.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 06:49 PM
Rick

Thank You all for the nice comments.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I don't know if I'll get up to that 450 hp but I fear that the engine I might be buying won't give me much of a choice. My boss is an avid car collector (has a really nice 900 hp '70 Camaro among other cars) and has a 1980 350 with a early 1970's blower on it. He's having it checked out and is going to give me a number. I've had a heck of a first 4 months in sales and, well, since he get's a good portion of the profit he's giving me a good deal on it. Knowing him it's all nice and shiny, show quality, and worth almost as much as my car. Hopefully he'll be really nice and give me a really nice deal on it...

If not I know of a 350 with a 4 bolt main for cheap. It'll need to be gone over but once done will probably be more along the lines of what I really want (350hp/350ft-lbs).

If I need to go wider I'll get these widened rather than get new ones. There's a place in Baltimore that'll do it and re-chrome them.

Regardless: Cruzer: you have a heck of a car and thanks for telling me a bit about the wheels.

Sold:
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazoo151 View Post
What's your budget? I bought mine from Rushforth, 2-piece forged, and Jason was a real pleasure to deal with.
Looked at their website and just didn't see anything that tickled my fancy there. There was, however, one set that would like perfect on an early mustang...

Sold:
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Mild cam
Custom interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode