When are rallies a bad idea for a 69 camaro? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

When are rallies a bad idea for a 69 camaro?

Guys, I am doing a slight pro touring build and was curious if rallies would be ok just while I rake the motor in and cruise it a little? I am going to go with some 18 inch rims in the future but wanted to know would I look foolish in the interim? I will probably paint the rallies the same color as my rallie stripes if I decide I will use the rallies for a while. Let me know what you guys think. PLEASE keep it positive, if you have something to say that could be seen as inflammatory I would appreciate if you keep it to yourself.

69 Camaro coupe project link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Send a message via AIM to Craig1969 Send a message via MSN to Craig1969 Send a message via Yahoo to Craig1969
Re: When are rallies a bad idea for a 69 camaro?

Honestly, I can't find a wheel out there that I like better than a 7 or 8 in rally. I wasted lots of cash on two sets of "cool" wheels that stayed on the car less than a week. I always end up with the rallys back on. Stock/Mod/pro, you can't go wrong with a nice rally.

Prepare to be the center of attention when you drive a first generation Camaro. You will be gawked at. Grown men & women will coo like children when you drive past. Children will scream like babies. Dogs & cats will get along. Does it get any better?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 03:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Nothing wrong with rally wheels... although IMO they look better with the the factory argent silver paint.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 03:47 PM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
Nothing wrong with rally wheels... although IMO they look better with the the factory argent silver paint.
I'd second that. I think factory rally wheels look great. The only reason I changed mine (to Torq Thrust II) was to fit upgraded brakes. At the time I don't recall that anyone was doing bigger diameter rally wheels.

John

- '68 Chevy Camaro (sort of done, but always subject to improvement)
- '63 Pontiac Tempest (work in progress)
- '72 Datsun 240-Z (back-burner for now)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 03:52 PM
Team Member
Ty

If you are going with the pro tour style look, which usually means, suspension, lowered, 4 WDB to say the least, 15" in rally's will work. However, they will affect your stance as they will not have the offset required to tuck your wheel in the wheel well.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech
Monty

I say you will never look foolish in a 69 Camaro!!! Nothing wrong with rallys till you get the brakes, stance, etc. I will say when you get the 18s get the ones you want, even if it takes a little longer. If you compromise you will likely buy them twice.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 06:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

It's impossible for a factory Rallye to look 'foolish'.. *S* Nuttin better in my opinion!

Gary
69Z28-RS
Corvettes (5), Nomads (2), El Camino, etc
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69&76 View Post
If you are going with the pro tour style look, which usually means, suspension, lowered, 4 WDB to say the least, 15" in rally's will work. However, they will affect your stance as they will not have the offset required to tuck your wheel in the wheel well.

I have 15 inch rallies now so I was thinking I would be ok, the car is lowered already. I think it will look ok once its painted all together and proper rallie jewelry gets applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
I say you will never look foolish in a 69 Camaro!!! Nothing wrong with rallys till you get the brakes, stance, etc. I will say when you get the 18s get the ones you want, even if it takes a little longer. If you compromise you will likely buy them twice.

I agree, its almost impossible to make a 69 not look fine!!!! Thats what I am afraid of, I would hate to spend any cash on some wheels I dont want. I am really struggling with if I should mini tub or not. I just dont think its needed for a mild street app. I think I will just use my rallies until I get rims. I will most likely paint the rallies the color of my stripes for contrast.

69 Camaro coupe project link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 13, 08:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Rallies are ALWAYS a cool wheel to go with IMO. "Go with what you think" is the most important thing to keep in mind. Good luck and post a pic of it when you get them mounted..

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 02:47 AM
Russ

Rallies are awesome.... Why not get a billet set later when u upgrade the brakes?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 03:25 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

You could always get a set of 18" rally's. I think Wheel Vintiques (sp?) makes them, maybe some others as well.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 04:30 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Another vote for the rally wheels. My all time favorite rim, followed closely by the 5 spoke wheel that came on some of the SS models.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 06:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Send a message via Yahoo to Wazoo151

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
You could always get a set of 18" rally's. I think Wheel Vintiques (sp?) makes them, maybe some others as well.
2x for this if you want the rally look in a bigger wheel. Rallies always look good

67 SS under construction
10:1 383, TKO600, Moser 4.11 12 bolt, Hotchkis, Rushforths, Flaming River, etc.

My build thread:
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 07:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM NUT View Post
Rallies are awesome.... Why not get a billet set later when u upgrade the brakes?
I thought I would go this route until I looked a 69 with them on it. I feel the proportions are off on the hole size on the 18's. I looked at Skeeter's Car pics on here.

Jeff
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 13, 08:25 PM
Team Member
Rob

Rally's ... I have them on mine. They are nice stock wheel if you ask me. I'm keeping mine on until I can find a set of date correct xt wheels. Until then ... 15" Rally Wheels it is.

'72 SS Nova - Gone

'68 Chevelle - Gone
'67 Impala - Gone
'65 Belair - Gone
'00 Corvette - Still got it
'69 Camaro - Keeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode