Anyone using drag radials with a 4 speed? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 13, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Anyone using drag radials with a 4 speed?

I have been thinking of getting a set of MT et street drag radials but have read where they recommend a bias ply ET street for 4 speed cars. Anyone have any experience at the track running drag radials with a 4 speed? I don't plan to try to race often but would like to take my car down the local 1/4 miles track a couple times to see what she does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 13, 07:15 PM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

Re: Anyone using drag radials with a 4 speed?

They work better than street tires, but are not the best choice for a manual trans.

Manuals typically need tire spin to properly launch. The unfortunate part is that radials do not tend to recover from wheel spin as well as bias tires.... meaning on launch the tires spin & do not want to hook back up. Bias tires are better at regaining grip & therefore are the best choice for manuals. On a really sticky track, they may work OK... experimenting is the only way to tell. Good luck.

I know the street manners are way better with radials than bias, so I would prefer them myself if they will work.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 13, 02:35 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie P View Post
They work better than street tires, but are not the best choice for a manual trans.

Manuals typically need tire spin to properly launch. The unfortunate part is that radials do not tend to recover from wheel spin as well as bias tires.... meaning on launch the tires spin & do not want to hook back up. Bias tires are better at regaining grip & therefore are the best choice for manuals. On a really sticky track, they may work OK... experimenting is the only way to tell. Good luck.

I know the street manners are way better with radials than bias, so I would prefer them myself if they will work.
X 2 ............with everything I've read/heard.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 13, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

A loose converter and trans brake behaves just like side stepping the clutch.

I believe the principle difference is going to be in the side wall construction. The radial construction is going to be stiffer, and as stated above start spinning without a chance to recover without lifting (not a way to win a race). The bias ply with the greater angle in the carcass will absorb the initial shock and remain in contact with the track. With this tire you risk driving over your tire and going into tire shake. Tire shake is all bad and can actually break parts.

This is particularly true if you buy a wider tire than your motor's torque can handle. You have to have some wheel speed (slip) to actually maximize traction.

Modern tire compounds hold a lot better than many beginners think. You won't need a Pro Stock sized tire to get a good launch out of the hole at the track. Just remember these tire are for track use only. They will disappear like magic in a hundred miles or so on the street wearing down to the cord so fast you can practically see it evaporate (this assumes you don't get flat first). Speaking of disappearing, the chemicals in the rubber break down under sunlight and literally evaporate over time that you can generally only get one season of racing per tire. You will want to enjoy the amount of money you spend on your tires so buying tires you can not use (wear out at the track) makes no sense.

I think your best buy will be the drag radial.

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 13, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Larry

Good info. & exchange of ideas. Thanks guys..
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 14, 02:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

I Left @ 4200 Rpm with a 1.48 60ft with et's when my car was a stick.
I like them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode