Got lucky today - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gene

Got lucky today

I stopped buy our local tire store to have my wheels and tires balanced. Then we noticed a big bulge on the drivers side front tire sidewall. Thank God and didn't pop last night on I 95 coming back from a cruise in. They ordered a new set of F70 Goodyear's will be here next Tuesday. Boy the old tires sure aren't inexpensive. Could have put a new set of radials on the Merc for less. The Goodyear's had a date of 1988. So check your tires old ones just aren't safe. Mine only had about 200 miles on them and the tread looked like new,but the old rubber was starting to check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech
Ty

Re: Got lucky today

You should of splurged and got 4 of them.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gene

I did order a set of four and will keep the best one as a spare. $1219 mounted and balanced.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 04:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage

I just had the same thing happen on the rear tire of my 69 Camaro. BF Goodrich radial T/A. Replaced all four (4) immediately. I got lucky and noticed it by accident. There is a great article in the Nov. issue of Hemmings Muscle Machine titled, Re-Tired. Following is some info contained in the article: "All tires manufactured from 2000 to present contain a code mandated by the NTSAA. The code is found on the sidewall and will consist of "DOT" followed by 12 to 13 letters and numbers identifying the mfg. size, mfg. code and the week and year of mfg. Example: DOTLMLR5107. Were only concerned with the last four. The "51" is the 51st week of the year and the "07" is 2007.

While your tires might look new, they are aging. Lets say you put 1,000 miles on your donuts each year. That's only 12 thousand miles in 12 years & 24 thousand in 24 years. See whats happening? Your tires look new but they are getting dangerously old. Looks can be deceiving. Unless you can remember exactly when you put new tires on I suggest a trip to the garage right now! It'll be cheaper than a trip to the body shop. Being proactive is is always better than being reactive."

Last edited by 68Tiger; Oct 17th, 13 at 04:31 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 04:34 PM
Senior Tech

" Being proactive is is always better than being reactive." GREAT POINT TO REMEMBER.

it happen to me last year ...i had parked my 63 Splitwindow in the driveway and just sitting there , the tire blew out .... i had noticed something felt funny driving it , the belt was broke and BOY DID IT BLOW OUT !!

Good thing it was caught in time ...you got lucky !
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 13, 05:25 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Can't remember how old my fronts were and there was no speed rating on them.
I plan on hitting the track again next Saturday and hope for 10.XX, so I figured better safe than sorry...just put on 2 new H rated tires ...................just in case

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 13, 04:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

This is an issue frequently discussed on motorhome/camper forums.
The conservative approach on motorhomes is to replace tires every 5-7yrs. Others say that's excessive, that you can go 10yrs.
For me...I've got a major investment in my motorhome, to say nothing of the fact that myself and my family are riding down the road in it. I'll gladly re-tire at the 5yr mark and sleep better. Motorhome tires are more expensive, typically between $300-$600 per tire, depending on your brand preference, but $1800 every 5yrs is mouse testicles compared to the overall cost of ownership. For me, I'm just not going to take that risk.

Same can be said for my car

Tires definitely "age out". Sometimes you can tell by looking at them...cracking sidewalls, unusual bulges, etc., but why take the chance?

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Radiator pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build album

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 13, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech

Guess I wasn't so lucky, but lucky just the same with this tire issue.

Was running polyglass F70's a years back and one blew, even though there looked like new tires and were sweet on the car. The lucky part was it was a left rear that went, and was able to finally pull over to the side of the road. Also fortunate it was a country paved road.

The rest of the rubber were re-tired right after this and learned my lesson. Every 6, they just get changed regardless no matter good they look.

capt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode