wheel vs drop - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 13, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

wheel vs drop

I think this question got lost in the depths of my other thread so Ill post it here.. Im not sure if it goes under wheeels and tires or suspension though...

My 68 coupe is getting new rims and tires, 255/60/15 on the rear, 235/60/15 on the front on 15x7 rims with 5" back spacing. I may need a 1/4" spacer in the front but not positive yet. Its also getting new springs front and rear since I dont like the 4x4 look it has, its just way too high.

So my question is, do I need to go with the 2" or 3" drop front and rear? Obviously I dont want rubbing, but only want to do this once.
I didnt buy the tires yet but will this week, so I need to rethink my sizes I still can.

Thanks!

68 RS/SS 496 T56 6 Speed Tuxedo black w/ white bumblebee. Strange Dana 60, Spicer 3.73 Helical Gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 13, 07:43 AM
Team Member
Ty

Re: wheel vs drop

On my 69 I have 3 inch drop in the rear and I am running 18 inch rims. My tires tuck underneath all the way to the rim. Based on that and with your wheel and tire size I would say 2 inch is plenty.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 13, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Thanks Ty. What size tires and backspacing? Do you have a picture? It sounds like 2" is the way to go then..

68 RS/SS 496 T56 6 Speed Tuxedo black w/ white bumblebee. Strange Dana 60, Spicer 3.73 Helical Gears

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 13, 09:06 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

When you run 17" or bigger wheels you mount lower profile tires on them and there is a lot less tire flex in the sidewall when cornering. Typically it doesn't matter the wheel size, the overall height and width that can fit in a wheel well is the same and backspacing (offset) is the key which was addressed in your other thread.

Back to the sidewalls; 15" wheels have tall sidewalls and if you match someones 17" or 18" wheel/tire/suspension drop combo dimensions you run the risk of rubbing when cornering even though everything fits standing still.

Drop your car before buying wheels and tires, I ran 245/60/15 rear and 235/60/15 front on 15x7 4.25 bs with a 2" front, 1.5" rear Hotchkis drop with very little scrubbing (nothing that damaged the tires) before going to 17" wheels and tires.

After the drop, find a wheel and tire shop that will work with you to fit the biggest tires you can on your wheels. It might cost you for an extra mounting charge but you won't have to buy tires that don't fit and do this twice or more. You may have to look past your typical wheel works or discount tire and find a custom wheel shop to get this service but it's out there...

Check the sticky threads here in the wheel and tire section, the '69 combo thread has a lot of examples of wheel/tire/drop fit and pictures to go with. If you see something you like PM the person and as questions about tires rubbing and fitment...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 06:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Just remember that a 2 or 3" drop in the rear will not look the same on a 67/68 as it does on a 69. The square openings on a 69 will make the tires tuck under a lot more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 08:02 AM
Team Member
Ty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxquattro View Post
Thanks Ty. What size tires and backspacing? Do you have a picture? It sounds like 2" is the way to go then..

FRONT: 18x8 4.5 b/s
BACK: 18X9.5 5.5 b/s

I will have to check on tire size for you.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 09:07 AM
Tech Team
Jonathan Burns

I've got a 67 and looking for a wheel tire option that won't get any tire rub. I want 15x8 in the rear. But is it a 4.75 bolt pattern? And I hear that I want a 5.5 bs. I want 15x7s I the front but idk the bs to get. And tires I want BFG radial ta 255x70x15 or would a 255x60x15 be better?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 10:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69&76 View Post
FRONT: 18x8 4.5 b/s
BACK: 18X9.5 5.5 b/s

I will have to check on tire size for you.

Here's my '67 with 2" Hotchkis springs in the front and 1.5" in the rear. Notice the difference in gap above the wheels vs a '69.

FRONT: 18x8 5.0"bs w/245/40/18 (4.75" bs would have been better)
REAR: 18x9 5.25"bs w/275/40/18

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 13, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Great looking rides guys, thank you for the info. Brent im surprised that the rear is only 1.5" drop, mine seems way up in the air for some reason. I guess I can start with 1.5" and redrill the plates if I need to if I need to go lower. And according to the math I just did over the last half hour, I can go 235/50/15 up front with a 2" drop and 255/50/15 with a 1.5 or even 2" drop. I dont want the back to look like its sagging though, I like the stance of your car. My wheels all have 5" backspacing so I should be OK I think..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode